A Marvel Fanboy

Wednesday 12/21/11 Numbers

Alvin is strictly for little kids, while Tintin, while suitable for children, appeals much beyond them.

I mostly agree (though given how Tintin is doing, I'm not sure how strongly it actually appeals to anyone). I think our definitions of direct competition must be slightly different. I consider a movie direct competition to another movie if it is meant to appeal to the entire audience of that second movie. So having a wider audience doesn't, in my view, prevent a movie from being direct competition for a movie with a narrower audience, i.e., I consider Tintin almost direct competition for Avin 3 (almost because I think its appeal to very little kids will be lower), but Alvin is not, IMO, direct competition for Tintin. Edited by Chrestomanci

Okay, that's pretty underwhelming for Tattoo too. MI4 did well but pretty much everything else faltered (2.3m for Tintin, yikes...).Also, hey there, Muppets didn't die! But Hugo apparently did...

Hmm, didn't realize that I still hadn't seen an actual or even an estimate for Hugo. Have you seen one? Or are you judging by the fact that it wasn't among the top 10 estimates on ERC? I'm wondering whether it really did die or whether Paramount just didn't bother to estimate it since they had two openers to worry about. Edited by Chrestomanci

LMAO at Tintin.Spielberg's name doesn't mean what it used to. Of course, when your marketing campaign consists of cringe-inducing lines like "From the two greatest storytellers of our time", and "An adventure beyond belief", pardon me while I laugh my ass off as your film crashes and burns.

• Like 1

And now Hugo is up, which was probably the last movie missing that anyone really cares about. Hugo made $507,511, a 30% drop from Tuesday, taking it just out of the top 10. I'd guess that theater loss (if boxoffice.com is right, it lost over 1000 theaters from Tuesday) and Tintin hit it hard, even though Tintin itself underperformed.ETA: BOM is up.

Edited by Chrestomanci

it includes 2M from tuesday. still a good number

It certainly is. Subtracting off $2M, it's still nearly 41% ahead of KK on the Wednesday before Christmas in 2005. If it could maintain that percentage for the rest of its run, it would end up making a further $190M+, for a total of over $215M. Even figuring that MI4 is more frontloaded than King Kong was from the same date (and it probably is a bit, but not as much as one might think, since the IMAX release over the weekend should help mitigate it), a total of $200M or higher looks like a definite possibility.

So BOM had a 1.6M estimate for Tuesday for Dragon Tattoo but when they added the Wednesday they took it down.

Oh dear. All the indications had been that the $5.1M on Wednesday was in addition to the $1.6M from Tuesday, which would have been pretty good. But if the $5.1M actually includes the $1.6M from Tuesday, that's not so good.