Ash Skywalker

Penguins of Madagascar OS Thread

Let's remember that this movie has a very popular TV show to back it up.

In Poland it's shown on 5 or 6 TV channels and it's very popular. The trailer was attached to many summer blockbusters and every time it had the biggest reaction from the audience.

The only time I saw the trailer was Dragon 2

Firstly, I must say that I'm disgusted by the way that this franchise just keeps going on and on. I agree though that the OS gross will be big. I can't imagine it doing any less than Puss in Boots or even Madagscar 2. Talking in terms of overseas grosses (always), Puss in Boots ($405.7M) saw a reduction of 21% from Shrek 4 ($513.9M). A similar case for Penguins (with respect to Madagascar 3 - $530.5M) would give it a $418.8M total. Taking into account how big China is today compared to 3 years ago - when Puss in Boots was released - and assuming it will be released in China, Penguins could reach $440M.

Disgusting? Really?

Also currently in China is DreamWorks Animation’s Penguins Of Madagascar which got a release there two weeks before its U.S. debut. DWA films generally play well in China, but the Madagascar franchise from which it is spun off has not been overwhelmingly strong in the Middle Kingdom. Madagascar 3: Europe’s Most Wanted did $31.5M in 2012. Going into the market cold may not have been the most fortuitous situation for Penguins, especially up against Interstellar with which it shares the older teen demo. It should maintain a fair number of screens and continue to run the rest of this month. Word of mouth will be important.

I remember how Toy Story 3, Shrek 4 and HTTYD all made $15m or less in China.

Penguins will make more than that, but its curious how this could make around $30m and still is a far cry from HTTYD2 or The Croods.

The Chinese market really exploded since then, and Dreamworks has gotten really close to the country as well.

• Like 1

Huge! 450mill +

That was my initial thought because movies like this generally do well overseas (as long as they're not the first of a series), but somebody recently pointed out something that should have been obvious to me, and that is that the dialogue and humor in this movie seem to be specifically geared for English-speaking markets. If that is true, then this could limit its OS performance, much like what apparently happened with The Lego Movie and to a lesser degree Wreck-It Ralph. Can it be translated more successfully than these for OS markets? For me, at the very least there is some doubt now.

Since Madagascar trilogy was a monster hit in Italy (it has an average of 30$M: yes, more that TLOFTR, HP, POTC, SHREK, ICE AGE), I expect Penguins to be a good success here.

On Sat 22 and on Sun 23 there are "national premiere": it opens in 350screens (a good number here) and than it opens wide on Nov 27.

• Like 1

"In its 2nd China frame, Penguins Of Madagascar played on 3,474 screens and came in 3rd, behind Interstellar and local title Rise Of The Legend. It earned an estimated $8.7M for a $23.3M cume; just a 20% drop off the first frame. The DreamWorks Animation family film will have its first bows elsewhere beginning next weekend with Fox releasing in 40 markets."

http://deadline.com/2014/11/international-box-office-mockingjay-part-1-interstellar-first-weekend-results-1201293926/

• Like 3

"After playing exclusively in China for the past few weeks,Penguins of Madagascar began its international roll-out this weekend. The movie earned $35.6 million, which brings its early total to $62.6 million. 

It had a huge $8.2 million debut in Russia, and was also impressive in Italy ($4.6 million) and Germany ($4.2 million). Next weekend, Penguins reaches eight new markets including the U.K."

http://www.boxofficemojo.com/news/?id=3969&p=.htm

"Penguins Of Madagascar added eight markets this weekend taking a total $23.6M from 10,356 screens in 50 territories. In six of those, the DreamWorks Animation title held No. 1s, including Russia ($4.26M) and Italy ($1.9M). Germany and Spain were down 26% and 27%, respectively in their 2nd frames. The UK bowed to $2.4M, No. 3 behind Paddington and Mockingjay, and Belgium took $596K. The international cume is $94.48, with 23 markets (including five of the top 10) still to come."

http://deadline.com/2014/12/exodus-gods-and-kings-interstellar-mockingjay-paddington-international-box-office-results-1201313759/

If Latin America delivers good numbers it could pass 300 OS, otherwise it will fall in the 200m range. Not a flop, but disappointing.

$200M OS would make it a money-losing WW flop, though.

"Penguins Of Madagascar added eight markets this weekend taking a total $23.6M from 10,356 screens in 50 territories. In six of those, the DreamWorks Animation title held No. 1s, including Russia ($4.26M) and Italy ($1.9M). Germany and Spain were down 26% and 27%, respectively in their 2nd frames. The UK bowed to $2.4M, No. 3 behind Paddington and Mockingjay, and Belgium took $596K. The international cume is $94.48, with 23 markets (including five of the top 10) still to come.

That's quite a bit less than Rise of the Guardians opened with in the UK ($3.2M), and about 1/4th of what Madagascar 3 opened with there. :o

"Penguins Of Madagascar added $14.74M from 9,626 screens in 51 markets taking the overseas cume to $116.7M and school holidays on the horizon. In their final frame in China, the birds brought in $2.93M from 3,103 for a $40.56M total. That’s 129% of the Madagascar 3 Middle Kingdom haul. Russia added $1.84M from 1,860 for an $18M cume and the No. 2 spot behind Five Armies; Germany was worth $1.77M from 1,150 dates ($8.87M cume): the UK‘s 2nd frame was good for $1.74M at 700 dates ($4.85M cume) and Italy now has a $9.27M cume after adding $1.07M on 635 screens. Fox opens the DreamWorks Animation pic in France and Mexico next weekend."

"Penguins Of Madagascar waddled into three new markets this frame earning a hot $16.5M for a cume of $135.6M. Mexico was worth $4.85M on 2,320 screens. France also opened well with $4.24M on 727 screens, behind The Hobbit and local winner La Famille Belier. In the holdover markets, after four weeks, Germany had a minimal drop of 29% earning $1.15M for a cume of $10.2M. The UK, in its 3rd weekend, dropped 31% earning $1.14M with its cume now at $6.53M. There are still 19 markets yet to open."