Ash Skywalker

Penguins of Madagascar OS Thread

this is pulling HTTYD 2 numbers everywhere

Probably true. After all Penguins is gonna be a comedy - albeit vapid and corny. HTTYD 2 not being a comedy was the main reason that it didn't achieve an exceptional run.

But you don't seem to have any problems with 'Finding Dory' :huh:

As for the OS results, I see around 500M.

1. Madagascar was from the beginning a corny toon. Even if the first was slightly original, the next two instalments were just ridiculous disappointments. Finding Nemo was a masterpiece. Finding Dory hasn't even been released yet. When that happens and if it's not a good film, I will have many problems with it and I will trash it as much as I can. Currently, I have no reasons to believe that. But the evidence is overwhelming for Penguins so I have every right to be disgusted.

2. You can "see" whatever you want. The overseas box office is indeed extremely unpredictable, but as Penguins will have a similar release schedule to Puss in Boots, I believe it is reasonable to use it as a comparison.

Edited by Quigley

Probably true. After all Penguins is gonna be a comedy - albeit vapid and corny. HTTYD 2 not being a comedy was the main reason that it didn't achieve an exceptional run.

1. Madagascar was from the beginning a corny toon. Even if the first was slightly original, the next two instalments were just ridiculous disappointments. Finding Nemo was a masterpiece. Finding Dory hasn't even been released yet. When that happens and if it's not a good film, I will have many problems with it and I will trash it as much as I can. Currently, I have no reasons to believe that. But the evidence is overwhelming for Penguins so I have every right to be disgusted.

2. You can "see" whatever you want. The overseas box office is indeed extremely unpredictable, but as Penguins will have a similar release schedule to Puss in Boots, I believe it is reasonable to use it as a comparison.

'Nemo' had a closed end. Dory feels much more unnecessary than Madagascar, which was from the beginning conceived as a franchise. Also, you think that Madagascar is corny. I don't like it, but I know kids that have it as their favourite movie. Same for Ice Age and Despicable Me. And their BO runs support it (hell, each of the last two Ice Age movies made 700M OS and are the no. 7 and 8 all time animation WW). If that doesn't prove they are incredibly beloved I don't know what does. And people's opinion make a movie a masterpiece so there you have it: Ice Age, Despicale (no. 4 all time animation WW, ahead of Nemo; and yeah, you can bring up inflation but that's not the point), Madagascar (just because you don't like it, it doesn't mean it's disgusting).  

As for my prediction, 'Puss' didn't have China. Or at least I can't find it on Mojo. Mad 3 made 32M there in 2012, after the second one only made 5M. I'm sure this can do over 50M. Plus, it has brand recognition on it's side and no much competition in the animation field (yes, you have 'Big Hero 6', but the closest comparison to that is Wreck it Ralph and that din't even make 300M). Plus, in most big markets it opens ahead of The Hobbit that is it's main competition for family audiences.

Edited by James

'Nemo' had a closed end. Dory feels much more unnecessary than Madagascar, which was from the beginning conceived as a franchise. Also, you think that Madagascar is corny. I don't like it, but I know kids that have it as their favourite movie. Same for Ice Age and Despicable Me. And their BO runs support it (hell, each of the last two Ice Age movies made 700M OS and are the no. 7 and 8 all time animation WW). If that doesn't prove they are incredibly beloved I don't know what does. And people's opinion make a movie a masterpiece so there you have it: Ice Age, Despicale (no. 4 all time animation WW, ahead of Nemo; and yeah, you can bring up inflation but that's not the point), Madagascar (just because you don't like it, it doesn't mean it's disgusting).  

As for my prediction, 'Puss' didn't have China. Or at least I can't find it on Mojo. Mad 3 made 32M there in 2012, after the second one only made 5M. I'm sure this can do over 50M. Plus, it has brand recognition on it's side and no much competition in the animation field (yes, you have 'Big Hero 6', but the closest comparison to that is Wreck it Ralph and that din't even make 300M). Plus, in most big markets it opens ahead of The Hobbit that is it's main competition for family audiences.

Firstly, I don't believe that animated movies should have target audiences. Animation is just a medium like any other. That's the whole point about most Pixar films. Anyone can watch them and still like them. If kids opinions matter, why don't we let them choose the president as well? Kids can be easily persuaded by ads that a movie is cool. The point is whether a movie is good when it is judged based on universally accepted values. I think that the only value that makes Madagascar worthy of a whole franchise is money and if you ask the producers, that's probably the only honest response they have.

Secondly, if it's true that Puss in Boots wasn't released in China then I guess a total closer to $500M is likely, I guess sth around $475M.

Firstly, I don't believe that animated movies should have target audiences. Animation is just a medium like any other. That's the whole point about most Pixar films. Anyone can watch them and still like them. If kids opinions matter, why don't we let them choose the president as well? Kids can be easily persuaded by ads that a movie is cool. The point is whether a movie is good when it is judged based on universally accepted values. I think that the only value that makes Madagascar worthy of a whole franchise is money and if you ask the producers, that's probably the only honest response they have.

Secondly, if it's true that Puss in Boots wasn't released in China then I guess a total closer to $500M is likely, I guess sth around $475M.

That's the point of any animation if you put it that way. Why would Pixar have more traction with grown ups than Despicable Me for example (and it hasn't anyway, since Despicable is beloved by many many adults). This whole "I like this because of the brand" thing is annoying. Just because Pixar used to make good movies, it doesn't mean all their movies are good. And number prove that. In today's market there are animation studios rising that are just as important as Pixar, Blue Sky and Illumination serving as examples. And the president thing is plain stupid. What, do you think I will take a kid to see an animation because critics love it. LOL. I choose the movie the kid wants to see because he's the one supposed to be entertained and he know better than me what he likes. And parents all around the world think that way.
And the only universally accepted value when it comes to movies is $$$. I, just like most of the population, don't give a fuck what critics say.
And you think 'Finding Dory' is getting made because of Disney's love for quality movies? LOL. All movies are getting made because of cash.
  • Like 1

:rolleyes: Who says that? The customer decides whether a movies is good enough to be seen or not. Please don't tell me you talk about critics...

Again with the childish 'it's all subjective' stuff.

Who says "Jack and Jill" is much worse than Barry Lindon? Certainly, not an idiot.

If a movie's gross is high, it just means it's liked by general audience. The average moviegoer would rather spend 10$ on some mindless entertainment like Transformers rather than on a sophisticated comedy like Midnight in Paris. Between what Average Joe likes and the quality of a film (obviously not strictly computable, but based on rational criteria), there's an abyss. Etc etc...

But honestly, all this answer wasn't necessary. A simple "who says that?" in a case like that costs the loss of any credit.

That's the point of any animation if you put it that way. Why would Pixar have more traction with grown ups than Despicable Me for example (and it hasn't anyway, since Despicable is beloved by many many adults). This whole "I like this because of the brand" thing is annoying. Just because Pixar used to make good movies, it doesn't mean all their movies are good. And number prove that. In today's market there are animation studios rising that are just as important as Pixar, Blue Sky and Illumination serving as examples. And the president thing is plain stupid. What, do you think I will take a kid to see an animation because critics love it. LOL. I choose the movie the kid wants to see because he's the one supposed to be entertained and he know better than me what he likes. And parents all around the world think that way.
And the only universally accepted value when it comes to movies is $$$. I, just like most of the population, don't give a fuck what critics say.
And you think 'Finding Dory' is getting made because of Disney's love for quality movies? LOL. All movies are getting made because of cash.

1. Never said a thing about critics. You're deceived if you think that critics judge films based on universally accepted values.

2. If you bring up your kids based on what they want instead of what's right or good for them, well, that's just plain ridiculous.

3. I said Madagascar's only quality is that it's a cash cow. Obviously, Finding Nemo made a hell of a lot of money too. But that doesn't mean it isn't a good movie. And of course Disney's motive to make Finding Dory is money, but as long as it's a good movie, I don't care.

Actually, comparing the release dates of the two that are on IMDB, in most markets the two will be spaced farther apart than they are domestically - for example, Russia gets BH6 on 23 October and Penguins on 27 November; Brazil gets BH6 on Christmas and Penguins on 15 January.Also, quite a few markets are getting BH6 *after* Penguins. Significantly, most of Europe gets BH6 in late January-early February 2015, a couple months later. So both of them are going to have more breathing room than they will in the U.S./Canada.The only markets so far that have dates for both where they're closer together than the 3-week domestic gap are Malaysia and Singapore (2 weeks), Czech Republic (1 week) and New Zealand (6 days - BH6 on Boxing Day, Penguins on New Year's).Australia doesn't have a date listed for Penguins yet, would it be expected to be the same as NZ?

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 2

Again with the childish 'it's all subjective' stuff.

Who says "Jack and Jill" is much worse than Barry Lindon? Certainly, not an idiot.

If a movie's gross is high, it just means it's liked by general audience. The average moviegoer would rather spend 10$ on some mindless entertainment like Transformers rather than on a sophisticated comedy like Midnight in Paris. Between what Average Joe likes and the quality of a film (obviously not strictly computable, but based on rational criteria), there's an abyss. Etc etc...

But honestly, all this answer wasn't necessary. A simple "who says that?" in a case like that costs the loss of any credit.

But you see, the same goes for your answer that puts a pretentious flick like 'Midnight in Paris' ahead of a summer blockbuster just because it's artsy. So yeah, I'm your average Joe. Good luck with having fun at the movies.

• Like 1

I say they have poor quality story- wise, that's my opinion. And they have simple, predictable stories and narratives... that's not an opinion.

Sorry but that is your opinion. The third Madagascar scored 79% on RT, the 2nd 64%. For a widely released movie that's a very good result. Imdb scores are also very good

So since previous movies were very liked and the rumors suggest Penguins are a great movie with China and other emerging markets growing I see it doing $470m+ Possibely even 500m.

Sorry but that is your opinion. The third Madagascar scored 79% on RT, the 2nd 64%. For a widely released movie that's a very good result. Imdb scores are also very goodSo since previous movies were very liked and the rumors suggest Penguins are a great movie with China and other emerging markets growing I see it doing $470m+ Possibely even 500m.

Only my first sentence was my opinion.Besides, I've already said that audiences like this kind of movies and hence they're succesful.Funny thing is that DWA is having a tough time with their non sequel movies.

In over a decade, DreamWorks has only had four non-sequels/spinoffs surpass the OS/WW gross of Shrek 1. And they have had at least one original every year but 2011.The "rule" seems to be that if a DWA original's OS/WW is above Shrek 1, it gets a sequel. If it's below, it doesn't. DWA is the animation studio most dependent on foreign grosses, so everything that hits OS gets a franchise. Plain and simple. (And it clearly works, as DWA has never had a sequel or spinoff gross less than $400M OS, out of the eight they've made so far.)

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

Only my first sentence was my opinion.Besides, I've already said that audiences like this kind of movies and hence they're succesful.Funny thing is that DWA is having a tough time with their non sequel movies.

You do realize that most critics don't agree with you on the simple story etc yet you treat it as fact. I understand you don't like the movie, i share the opinion but at least notice the reality around you.

Let's remember that this movie has a very popular TV show to back it up.

In Poland it's shown on 5 or 6 TV channels and it's very popular. The trailer was attached to many summer blockbusters and every time it had the biggest reaction from the audience.