The Maze Runner (2014)

45 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

So I read the first book and now finally saw the movie. Well, I thought the movie took a bit of excitment out of the original story and in the end felt like a straight forward movie, but without surprises. They didn't change the story from zero, like they did with Percy Jackson or Eragon, but still enough, to make it worse.

It was enjoyable to watch, but something was missing. Gave it a 6/10.

A question: Do we learn more about that experiment and how it should work, why the Grivers Poison made them remember things etc. in the coming books? That's something I was missing so far.

Satisfied. This is how you make an exciting film. I was a little disappointed with the maze. But the engaging story made me forgive this. I really, really liked it. The cast is great, the suspense is in there, no love story to destroy it, and I cared about the characters.

Can't wait for the sequel.

A

• Like 1

Cliches, cliches everywhere. Now I'm not a guy who often thinks or predicts what will happen at the end of movies, I just like to see them unfold, but I could see most of this stuff from miles away. Here's how this film works:

Introduce A

Explain A

Show the effects of A

Introduce B

Rinse and repeat for 2 hours.

Now that works with some films when they can execute it extremely well or when the things they introduce aren't all rehashes of old shit from other works. However, this movie is competent at best in almost all areas and it becomes rather dull after some time, though I would be interested to see what the director has to offer with a better script since he made a pretty slick movie on such a measly budget.

5/10

And by the way, Chuck dying was obvious from the moment he had that conversation about parents with what's-his-name hero that becomes the Maze Jesus faster than Neo learned kung-fu from that floppy disk :D

• Like 1

It was okay and I liked some of the unique concepts but I had to switch off the logical part of the brain for several parts. Studying the brainwaves of humans during intense stress to find a cure for a deadly virus for example was a facepalm worthy moment. It sounded like a load of mumbo jumbo science which I hate. You also have to wonder about the sanity of the scientists of that time too. The world goes to hell and so they decide to build a huge maze? I'm amazed people even sanctioned the financing of such a project. 

Other than those moments I liked the action scenes well enough and the performances were believable. 

Grade: B

• Like 1