The Maze Runner (2014)

45 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it:

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

I saw it tonight!  Thursday night preview.

Loved it.  Overall the action was very good and I think the film is very well made.  The action in the maze, and getting out of the maze was very suspenseful.  It reminded me of The Hunger Games, although personally I liked this movie better (although, I accept the story and premise behind the The Hunger Games more).

The only thing I didn't really like is the story behind it, but I guess it's based on the book.  I didn't get why they have to build the maze, but I guess it's just the premise that we're supposed to accept.  I know they try to explain it at the end but it's not really satisfying for me, that they have to test children who are supposed to have a "purpose" by building a crazy maze like this.

Some parts were a bit intense and pretty scary.  I get scared easily by horror movies and for some scenes I couldn't look at the screen because it was scary.

Dylan O'Brien was amazing on screen, all the actors were really good, a lot of familiar faces.

I absolutely love him, and I couldn't help think about how cute he was in the movie through the whole film.  I guess I'm a bit biased.

Will Poulter from We're the Millers (I think of him as the one that sings TLC's Waterfall in the back of the car)

Ki Hong Lee - I recognized him from The Nine Lives of Chloe King, he played the boyfriend of one of Chloe's best friends

Thomas Brodie-Sangster - he looked so familiar but during the movie I couldn't recall what he was from, now I just checked it, he was the boy from Love Actually!  No wonder he looked so familiar.

3.5 out of 4 stars, go see it!

Just googled to find out what YA meant

I agree, it's a lot better than a lot of other young adult movies like

The Fault in Our Stars and Divergent

I think The Hunger Games is pretty well made too and this movie is up there with that.

Edited by sarahpopcorn
  • Like 4

• Community Manager

Five complaints:

1) The ending where the lady was like "you were in this maze so we could monitor your brain activity to cure a disease" was such a disappointment. I know they have to set up a sequel because the producers I guess thought they had a sure hit in their hands but there's no way any explanation could have been satisfying. The ending would have worked SO much better if they left the maze, found all of the dead scientists, and left the building. We don't know anything of why they were in there-it's just something that happened.

2) The ending was also disappointing when the chubby fat kid was killed by the kid from Chronicles of Narnia. First of all, how did that Narnia kid get into that room? Second of all, it felt cheesy and forced. It's like the writer was like "WAIT! I can't let the chubby kid live! People like him and I need a last minute tragic twist. MWAHAHAH." Bitch, please.

3) Setting up a sequel with "phase 2". Ummm....like almost nobody was in my theater. I guess this movie could still open well but that doesn't bode well for the chances of a sequel. Unlike Divergent where I wanted to see a sequel, I actually prefer that this be a stand-alone film and just hint at the sequel. I'll see a second movie but I'm not excited for it. This instance of franchise building just seemed unearned.

4) So wait if they were immune to the brain disease, how come the stinger poison could harm them? I was so confused by this because the effects of the stingers and the brain disease looked too similar IMO.

5)  I felt like they could have allowed more time to pass within the story. Within a week, Thomas is able to make a lot more progress. I think it'd be more realistic if the movie allowed some passage of time. Let him be there for a while.

Other than that, it was a fun experience with great action scenes and good acting.

B

Edited by Water Bottle
  • Like 6

Pretty much agree with WB. It was entertaining enough but just seemed to follow YA movie formula. I concur with the sentiments of another movie goer I heard as I left the theatre, "It was better then I was expecting".

Edited by DeeCee
  • Like 2

Fantastic movie. Very intense and with good performances from the young cast. I think it is better than THG1 and Divergent.

Five complaints:

2) The ending was also disappointing when the chubby fat kid was killed by the kid from Chronicles of Narnia. First of all, how did that Narnia kid get into that room? Second of all, it felt cheesy and forced. It's like the writer was like "WAIT! I can't let the chubby kid live! People like him and I need a last minute tragic twist. MWAHAHAH." Bitch, please.

5)  I felt like they could have allowed more time to pass within the sto there for a while.ry. Within a week, Thomas is able to make a lot more progress. I think it'd be more realistic if the movie allowed some passage of time. Let him be

Other than that, it was a fun experience with great action scenes and good acting.

B

It happens in the book. It is part of the test by Wicked. It is explained in the book 2.

In the book it passes way more time. They did everything very fast here.

• Like 4

Doesn't matter what happens in the book, they're making a film.

They had to kill him. It would be really stupid if they didn't. It would be a major change and upset the readers. And the reason is explained in the book 2. It is past of the test by Wicked.

Edited by CJohn

You know what was a major change? Keeping Peeves out of the movies. Book fans lived with it.

It might have worked in the book but in the movie, it was terribly executed.

It was good for me. And for everyone that read the books. My heart was beating in a high speed because I knew eventually it was going to happen. It was intense scene. It worked for the fans. 

Edited by CJohn

• Community Manager

It was good for me. And for everyone that read the books. My heart was beating in a high speed because I knew eventually it was going to happen. It was intense scene. It worked for the fans. 

Yeah but the movie shouldn't be JUST for the book fans.

• Like 2

Yeah but the movie shouldn't be JUST for the book fans.

The people weren't complaining in my theater. I think you are reading way too much into it. 

And unless this has some major shitty legs, Phase 2 is happening.

• Like 1

The one thing that bothered me (while I still loved the film) was that they never really showed the effects of running out of supplies. When Teresa was set up in the box, it said this was "The Last One Ever", and then the Gladers started talking about what was going to happen about supplies etc. but because the third act happened really quick, I think that was a key aspect of the film (that wasn't major in the book) that they missed out on.

• Like 1

I fucking enjoyed the hell out of this movie. Strong acting, and the action was genuinely thrilling. I'm hugely impressed at the visuals of the film on a $34m budget. 

I completely agree! I expected the small budget would make the movie look like a 90's B-Movie, but it really didn't!!

• Like 3