Rorschach

Best and Worst Years in Movie History (Explain Why too!)

What in your opinion have been the greatest years in cinema? And the worst? The most recent good year in my opinion: 2012 (Fantastic year for Blockbusters, with some really good arthouse movies) The most recent bad year in my opinion: 2011 (Mostly forgettable in both Blockbusters and Arthouse movies). Best: Rorschach- 2012 Rukaio- 1999 Ethan Hunt- 2011 Worst: Rorschach- 2011 Rukaio- 2011ish

Edited by Rorschach

What in your opinion have been the greatest years in cinema? And the worst? The most recent good year: 2012 (Fantastic year for Blockbusters, with some really good arthouse movies) The most recent bad year: 2011 (Mostly forgettable in both Blockbusters and Arthouse movies).

Reverse these please. The only 2 films from 2012 that I love are TDKR and Skyfall In 2011 I loved Transformers: Dark of the Moon, Ghost Protocol, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Source Code, We Bought a Zoo, Rango, and Moneyball I give 2011 the slight edge over 2013 because the best of the best from 2011 are better than the best of the best from 2013. Edited by Ethan Hunt

Off the top of my head, 1999 comes to mind for the best. Sixth Sense, Fight Club, The Matrix, Iron Giant, South Park, Lock Stock and Two Smoking Barrels and Galaxy Quest? Admittedly, it also has Star Wars Episode 1, but you can't win them all.

As for worst, I shall go for every year before the 1800's since film had not been invented yet. That's right. I'm going to be a smart alec. Although, then again, 2011 did have Jack and Jill...

• Like 2

I'm not sure about worst. I'm inclined to agree with 2011 apart from Moneyball there's really nothing that stands out to me. For best I'm going to cheat a little and go with a combination of 1975 and 1976. Here's an idea of what was released in those two years Jaws, One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest, Rocky, Network, Dog Day Afternoon, Monty Python and the Holy Grail, the Man Who Would Be King, Three Days of the Condor, All the President's Men, the Bad News Bears, the Outlaw Josey Wales and Taxi Driver

Edited by DAR
  • Like 3

For your consideration:

Schindler's List

Jurassic Park

Groundhog Day

The Fugitive

The Nightmare Before Christmas

Tombstone

Philadelphia

Dazed and Confused

In the Line of Fire

The Age of Innocence

Fearless

The Remains of the Day

Alive

Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story

In the Name of the Father

Farewell My Concubine

Three Colors: Blue

True Romance

Ninja Scroll

Batman: Mask of the Phantasm

What's Eating Gilbert Grape?

The Sandlot

Short Cuts

Falling Down

The Piano

The Joy Luck Club

Searching for Bobby Fischer

Menace II Society

Red Rock West

• Like 4

1939 definitely has a case to be made as the year of the movie. It might be the greatest year in cinema ever.

Also, 1992, 1993, and 1994 were all just great years in film. If you look at the films released in those years, there are just plenty of wonderful films.

Honestly, you can take any year in the 1990's and make a great case for it. The 80's and 90's were a great few decades in film.

• Like 1

Because I haven't seen enough movies from years 2007 below, I'll say 2012 is the best. There were loads of awesome blockbusters that year, which I am a sucker for, some great animated movies, hilarious comedies, and yet the year was topped for me by two completely different international films (Intouchables and The Raid).

2003 was a pretty good year. My favourite movie of all time (Big Fish) was released. Not to mention runners up like Return of the King, Finding Nemo, and Elf.

There were also some really awesome movies that don't quite make my top 10 list, but are fantastic nevertheless, such as The Last Samurai, Master and Commander, Freaky Friday (in my opinion), Curse of the Black Pearl, X2, and Bruce Almighty.

There are also a few guilty pleasures such as Cat in the Hat (even though its bad) and Cheaper By The Dozen.

For your consideration:

Schindler's List

Jurassic Park

Groundhog Day

The Fugitive

The Nightmare Before Christmas

Tombstone

Philadelphia

Dazed and Confused

In the Line of Fire

The Age of Innocence

Fearless