CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

1 hour ago, poweranimals said:

Didn't Zasloff say Superman is a priority for WB?

That’s what insiders have claimed, and Superman’s logo was shown as one of the important WB brands at the shareholder’s meeting last week. I’m not convinced Zaslav has any clue what to do, though. 

3 hours ago, poweranimals said:

Didn't Zasloff say Superman is a priority for WB?

Superman is ALWAYS a priority for Warner Bros...they just seem to have consistent trouble figuring out how to treat him for the big screen.  On TV -- he's been much more successful!  Very interesting.  

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

Ok. From what I'm hearing, this coming week is pretty much paramount for Cavill returning as Superman. Can't go into any specifics beyond this. I'll not know the results till late September. 

But suffice to say, Labor Day or nothing.

@cax16

Thanks! Appreciate the info, I hope it works out with this and that guy who’s supposed to be hired to lead DC. 

WB have Elordi right there. He is going to go with something else no doubt if Supes doesn't happen soon. Need Cavill to shit or get off the pot.

In the early 2000s, WB missed out on an enormous financial opportunity when they couldn't lock down teeniest bopper Josh Hartnett for the role if Abrams epic sci-fi actioner of a film. That film would have been an utterly colossal hit circa 2004-2005. This is basically the exact thing now with Elordi (though he is not on the fame level Hartnett was at that time). Gen Z will go bananas if Elordi is cast the role and his social media following will be extremely potent marketing tool. The market is ripe.

I think this could still be a huge hit if Cavill, Adams and co. return, but it needs to be in much more commercial hands. Fix Cavill's Superman hair, let him smile, etc.

If Henry walks away, cast Elordi and make a modern, big scale MARVEL-type film! It will be giant.

Edited by excel1

20 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

All the supposed scoopers are really banking heavily on the idea that Cavill is coming back. I don’t understand why people still care. 

The only reason I care is because I think

him signing back on soon would lead to more Superman content quicker. 

• Like 1

I’m guessing it’s pretty safe to assume that this black Superman movie won’t be happening, but assuming Cavill does back for real this time, I’m not sure how I’d feel about it at this point.

A year ago, I would’ve been pretty excited about it, but all the drama with Ezra Miller and the Snyder Cut has sucked away any remaining enthusiasm I had for the DCEU, and the Discovery drama has made it difficult to get excited about anything related to DC in general. 

If Cavill does come back, would they be willing to give him a solo film? If so, how would it even work? Would Clark be back at the Daily Planet? Would Jesse Eisenberg’s Lex Luthor be involved? Would Clark and Lois be married?

40 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

If Cavill does come back, would they be willing to give him a solo film? If so, how would it even work? Would Clark be back at the Daily Planet? Would Jesse Eisenberg’s Lex Luthor be involved? Would Clark and Lois be married?

Simple, just add some big DC character for crossover event status, Aquaman or a Green Lantern or even Supergirl and soft reboot. Lighten up the tone, throw in a different bad guy probably Brainiac and you’re good, so long as quality is there.

• Like 1

Considering this would either be a Christmas 2024 or later release, Clark and Lois would obviously need to be married. Clark and Lois should probably have children. It would need to take place a minimum of 10 years after MOS. This would need to be a true veteran Superman film. He should be 100% used to the world and they should be 100% used to him. I hate saying this because I have wanted a Cavill sequel forever, but at this point, it is SERIOUSLY past due. It is difficult to know where to take the character at this point given how long it's been. Where does the story go? Is it about a superhero struggling work, marriage, fatherhood, and superhero life?

Unless the plan is to fully bring back the DCEU - which would be very weird given Battinson success - there is a side of me that thinks WB would be better off going the solo route with Elordi as a young Superman done right ala Pattinson. Much much easier to map out a 10 year story plan going that route than with Cavill. 

Another DCEU Superman film will also have the challenge of having Superman alone. If it a truly world challenging threat....where is Wonder Woman?!?

OR...does WB go big-league and figure out some sort of young Superman/veteran Superman team-up film using Flash universe hopping? 

Edited by excel1

1 minute ago, excel1 said:

Considering this would either be a Christmas 2024 or later release, Clark and Lois would obviously need to be married. Clark and Lois should probably have children. It would need to take place a minimum of 10 years after MOS. This would need to be a true veteran Superman film. He should be 100% used to the world and they should be 100% used to him. I hate saying this because I have wanted a Cavill sequel forever, but at this point, it is SERIOUSLY past due. It is difficult to know where to take the character at this point given how long it's been. Where does the story go? Is it about a superhero struggling work, marriage, fatherhood, and superhero life?

Unless the plan is to fully bring back the DCEU - which would be very weird given Battinson success - there is a side of me that thinks WB would be better off going the solo route with Elordi as a young Superman done right ala Pattinson. Much much easier to map out a 10 year story plan going that route than with Cavill. 

OR...does WB go big-league and figure out some sort of young Superman/veteran Superman team-up film using Flash universe hopping? 

Well, one place WB could go is to fully embrace the rich mythology of Superman. Even after all these films, which have been for the most part, Superman-downsized, we've still never gotten a look at the splendors of Krypton- the Jewel Mountains, the Scarlet Jungle, Kryptonopolis itself, etc- I would love to see some of that in told in flashback. Or how about the Bottle City of Kandor? The wonders of the Fortress of Solitude? Obviously, there are scores more villains to consider- Brainiac, of course, but how about The Parasite? Metallo? The legions of Kryptonian baddies like Jax-Ur still trapped in the Phantom Zone? And yes, the Silver-Age lover in me I wants some Mr. Mxyzptlk. But if there's one thing I DON'T want, it's dark, edgy, conflicted Superman. That's not the character. Give us something to aspire to, even if it seems anachronistic. God knows the world could use some more light right now.

Directors: Kosinski, McQuarrie, Vaughn, Bird- I'd be thrilled with any of these guys.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, A Star is Delayed said:

Well, one place WB could go is to fully embrace the rich mythology of Superman. Even after all these films, which have been for the most part, Superman-downsized, we've still never gotten a look at the splendors of Krypton- the Jewel Mountains, the Scarlet Jungle, Kryptonopolis itself, etc- I would love to see some of that in told in flashback. Or how about the Bottle City of Kandor? The wonders of the Fortress of Solitude? Obviously, there are scores more villains to consider- Brainiac, of course, but how about The Parasite? Metallo? The legions of Kryptonian baddies like Jax-Ur still trapped in the Phantom Zone? And yes, the Silver-Age lover in me I wants some Mr. Mxyzptlk. But if there's one thing I DON'T want, it's dark, edgy, conflicted Superman. That's not the character. Give us something to aspire to, even if it seems anachronistic. God knows the world could use some more light right now.

Directors: Kosinski, McQuarrie, Vaughn, Bird- I'd be thrilled with any of these guys.

100%.

In the early 2000s, J.J. Abrams's scripted the first of a proposed LOTR-style trilogy of Superman films where Krpyton would play a massive role throughout the series. MOS stole elements of this but showed little of the creative imagination of that script. While Abrams script featured a silly "jealous brother of prince Jor-el kills the king, kidnaps Jor-el, and pledges to hunt down and kill Kal-el he can fulfill a 'prophecy' stating that he will save Krypton' storyline, Snyder's film added that bizarre "Codex" subplot noting that Kryptonion society doesn't have natural with (wtf was the point here???).

I think a potential route would be Cavill has the "DCEU" hero as he was originally intended, but without true solo films per say, while a younger star ala Elordi is used in a set of solo films ala Battinson.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/27/2022 at 2:57 PM, WittyUsername said:

All the supposed scoopers are really banking heavily on the idea that Cavill is coming back. I don’t understand why people still care. 

Yeah, the scoopers were so right about Cavill's return being announced at ComicCon....

Frankly, I put no faith in rumors about this since so many have been false, and will believe Cavill will retrun when we get an offical annoudement from Warners.

21 hours ago, A Star is Delayed said:

I don't know, a lot of Silver Age Supes seem pretty silly to me.

I agree that DC went way too dark with Supes with the  Snyder version, but not sure making him a boy scout would work nowdays. He should have inner conflicts...a charecter who does'nt is boring...just not to the extreme that Snyder took it.

I think the Timmverse Superman got it right. It also gave him a sense of humor which has been lacking.

And I can do without the SIlver Age Kal El obssesion IMHO although proud of his Kryptonian heritage,Superman is not obbssesed by it In the end, he thinks of himself as Clark Kent, a nice kid from Kansas who wants to use his powers for good. I actually think one of the few things about Supes Snyder got right was that line from Supes when accused of being a alien"

"Alien/ I'm from a small town in Kansas..you can't get more American than that".

And another thing SNyder did right was ditching the whole "Lois Does not know who Clark Kent really is" crap. That never worked for me.

I also favor the post crisis down powering of Superman.  Keep him being an oxygen breather and unable to just fly off into space for extended periods of time.

Edited by dudalb

On 8/31/2022 at 3:42 PM, Menor Reborn said:

We must get Mxyzptlk in a Superman movie. Probably my favorite of his villains.

The Golden age Msyzptik is a lot funnier then the SIlver age one.

But I agree, he should be in a movie but not as the main villian; he is pretty much a comedy charecter:you play him for laughs.

Actually, if they are looking for a way to handle him look at "Q" in Star Trek Next Generation; a charecter who is a lot like  Mxyzptlk.

On 9/1/2022 at 1:20 AM, dudalb said:

Yeah, the scoopers were so right about Cavill's return being announced at ComicCon....

Frankly, I put no faith in rumors about this since so many have been false, and will believe Cavill will retrun when we get an offical annoudement from Warners.

I think only Deadline talked about a POSSIBLE Cavill appearance on comic con. The scoopers were actually denying it.

On 9/1/2022 at 6:49 PM, dudalb said:

The Golden age Msyzptik is a lot funnier then the SIlver age one.

But I agree, he should be in a movie but not as the main villian; he is pretty much a comedy charecter:you play him for laughs.

Actually, if they are looking for a way to handle him look at "Q" in Star Trek Next Generation; a charecter who is a lot like  Mxyzptlk.

Yeah, but they never put "Q" in a Trek movie, and they won't do it with Mxy, either.  Just not a "big screen threat."  Brainiac is the one I can't quite understand why they haven't done, yet...seems like a no-brainer -- A.I., robots, global/universe-level threat -- Brainiac has it all.  

...Well, there was the unmade Tim Burton take!  

Edited by Macleod