CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

16 hours ago, GOGODanca said:

if twitter was an accurate representation of the worlds thoughts on a movie then joker would have utterly bombed while birds of prey would be the billion dollar megahit, its just an insignificant amount of people ranting into the wind

It twitter was an accurate represntation of what people actually think, civiilxzation itself is doomed.

18 hours ago, ZeeSoh said:

Shame really, he was a good Superman and I would have liked to see more of him in that role. He had the perfect body and looks. 

For me Christopher Reeve is of course the best. Cavill is 2nd and Routh is 3rd (he had the looks and bod but felt too low energy for Supes). I have not seen any TV supermans so cant place them (although Tom Welling is bae 😘

True, but sadly he had the wrong writer in Zack Snyder, who never really got the charecter.

I could compare him with Timothy Dalton as James Bond;Many feel he could have been the best 007 of them all..he was probably closest to Ian Flemings original...but got tripped up by never having a really good script to work with.

BTW the outrage of the Snyder fanboys over this is so over the top as to be drop dead funny.

But I think you will se a lot less interaction by Gunn with fandom after this..he is learening why most writers, producers and directors prefer to keep fandom at arm's length...they can turn on you in a New York second.

• Like 1

Yep.  The word "origin" has NOT been used at all by Gunn so far in mentioning Superman, right?  Other than to DENY that it is another one.  And Gunn has said "Younger."  Not "young."  PEOPLE. DON'T. READ. Or they read gossip instead of the words from the horse's mouth.  The internet has ruined so many people's ability to comprehend anything.  Props to Gunn for even engaging in these petty conversations. 

Gunn and Safran and Warner Bros. obviously know that EVERYONE knows Superman's basic origins, at this point.  Unless they're really going to change things up, they can have a 5-minute flashback that explains everything about their particular new Kal-El.  Perhaps even less minutes than that. 

Edited by Macleod
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ChipDerby said:

I love how you say you're looking at this in an unbiased manner, yet everyone knows you have always had INSANE takes about Superman. 

Any person with a brain knows that comparing Instagram likes and Twitter likes is asinine. Also, not a single Gunn tweet has been ratio'd, so there goes your negative response narrative.

Yes, this is a bummer for Henry and people who loved his version.

Yes, it appears I may have been wrong about a complete reboot.

But Gunn is a great writer, proven time and again. It will be fascinating to see what he writes for Superman, because I don't think he's written a character like him.

Gunn has made plenty of dog crap. He’s a ridiculous choice for Superman. Hell I hate Zack Synder and he’s way better

6 hours ago, WittyUsername said:

GotG2 is still a pretty zany and irreverent film with poop and dick jokes. I would hope Gunn can stay away from that with Superman, but I don’t know if I believe he can. 

Suicide squad sucked as well and was a massive flop 

36 minutes ago, Macleod said:

Yep.  The word "origin" has NOT been used at all by Gunn so far in mentioning Superman, right?  Other than to DENY that it is another one.  And Gunn has said "Younger."  Not "young."  PEOPLE. DON'T. READ. Or they read gossip instead of the words from the horse's mouth.  The internet has ruined so many people's ability to comprehend anything.  Props to Gunn for even engaging in these petty conversations. 

Gunn and Safran and Warner Bros. obviously know that EVERYONE knows Superman's basic origins, at this point.  Unless they're really going to change things up, they can have a 5-minute flashback that explains everything about their particular new Kal-El.  Perhaps even less minutes than that. 

SUpes origin is like Batman's and Spideys. Everybody alread knows it, you can skip over it and only reference it.

29 minutes ago, cax16 said:

More,

I seriously hope the people he's replying to are like 15 or something. God help us he he's talking to dudes who are 30+ and he has to gently explain, as you would to a toddler, that the actor for the capeshit movie doesn't fit the script he's  writing so the capeshit character will now be played by his 8th different actor. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, cax16 said:

More,

Gunn's first duty is to the Warner's shareholders, not the fanboys.

Even if you like a guy, if you are a CEO, you don't keep him on the payroll if you think it will not benefit the stockholders. That is Business 101,

And, yesh, the real world is often a cold place where you do things you might not want to do.

• Like 1

Just now, TestPattern said:

I seriously hope the people he's replying to are like 15 or something. God help us he he's talking to dudes who are 30+ and he has to gently explain, as you would to a toddler, that the actor for the capeshit movie doesn't fit the script he's  writing so the capeshit character will now be played by his 8th different actor. 

I have always benn amused on how some fans ,who co;ld not sucessfully run a corner lemonade stand or a garage sale, try to tell 

CEO's how to run a multi billioanire dollar studio.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TestPattern said:

I'd honestly encourage Gunn to stop , because these fanboys will believe what they want to believe and keep being obnoxious. If you want to get the DCU on track, you can't scrap with every internet loser who comes a'calling.

He’s always gonna be open with the fans, that’s just the way he is but I’d expect the stuff we’ve been seeing the last few days to slow down in a little while. He’s obviously just trying to speak to upset fans and give clarity on the situations. Kudos to him but I agree with others here that it’s probably best to stop engaging with so many fans, especially the negative ones. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Lion Roar said:

Gunn really needs to stop tweeting and engaging so much. It's not going to end well. 

I agree with the molerisis and lion roar  posts.

I think Gunn is learning fast how fans can be major league Alpha Hotels, and how you can go from hero to villian in a split second.

And, frankly, he does not have the time as CEO to do this crap. Leave it to the PR people.

Edited by dudalb

1 hour ago, TestPattern said:

The nightmare is real...  😁

There's one thing I've noticed about the Snyderverse dudes, a lot of their tweets have this idiotic grandiose verbiage as if they're in the Lord of the Rings, but they're trying to emulate the dialogue in the Snyderverse, which is largely spoke by normal humans. Which goes to show that the dialogue in those movies is really really stupid.

Edited by TestPattern

3 hours ago, dudalb said:

I have always benn amused on how some fans ,who co;ld not sucessfully run a corner lemonade stand or a garage sale, try to tell 

CEO's how to run a multi billioanire dollar studio.

3 hours ago, dudalb said:

Gunn's first duty is to the Warner's shareholders, not the fanboys.

Even if you like a guy, if you are a CEO, you don't keep him on the payroll if you think it will not benefit the stockholders. That is Business 101,

And, yesh, the real world is often a cold place where you do things you might not want to do.

The business case for Gunn's action is extremely flawed. Before even getting to Cavill/Superman, he is putting Flash, Blue Beetle, and Aquaman 2 in extremely awkward positions. Proper reading of the room would lead to the conclusion that the actors are not the issue, it was their use, and as Wonder Woman and Aquaman showed, the characters can be EXTREMELY successful if used properly in spite of the bad buzz from prior films.  WB will be spending well over $1 BILLION DOLLARS producing and releasing Shazam, Flash, Blue Beetle, and Aquaman 2 next year.  The word on the first 3 is extremely positive, Aquaman is too early too tell. Gunn has just committed a borderline criminal sin very early on: he has divided, borderline outraged, the fanbase by putting the future of the franchise beyond those films solidly in limbo. It's a stunningly arrogant and outright dimwitted move. 

So, for example, if THE FLASH is really well-received and successful....too bad for the fans, there getting a reboot? There is z.e.r.o. argument to say that what Gunn has done is what is best for the WB film business. 

As for Cavill/Superman, this is not an "we cast an outside the box actor for a role" ala Keaton or Ledger. This is a fanbase hoping and starving for 5 years getting extremely excited 2 months ago after the wait. And now, they're back to square one. Classic bait and switch. Hence fans are 100x more upset at the announcement today than they would have been if it was announced 3 months ago. 

Those are simply the facts of the business case.  This is not good business, it's absolutely self-sabotage and borderline stupidity, completely backed up by social media reactions over the last 24 hours. 

Edited by excel1