CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

Just now, WittyUsername said:

I wouldn’t call it a defining characteristic. Lex Luthor was initially portrayed as a mad scientist, and plenty of artists have drawn him as fairly slim. Eisenberg’s Lex in particular resembles the one from Superman: Birthright. Sure, Lex has been depicted as physically imposing before, particularly in the DC Animated Universe, but it’s not really a constant for the character. 

Eisenberg was a dogshit lex and the only "constant" we've seen for big-screen Lex's outside of him has been them being comedic relief

4 minutes ago, TMP said:

Eisenberg was a dogshit lex and the only "constant" we've seen for big-screen Lex's outside of him has been them being comedic relief

I’m just saying that Lex Luthor isn’t always depicted as the perfect physical specimen in the comics. Personally, I actually think it’s more interesting if he’s someone of average build, since it further emphasizes how inadequate he feels compared to Superman. That’s why I kind of like the idea of Nicholas Hoult playing him. 

Edited by WittyUsername

1 minute ago, WittyUsername said:

I’m just saying that Lex Luthor isn’t always depicted as the perfect physical specimen in the comics. Personally, I actually think it’s more interesting if he’s someone of average build, since it further emphasizes how inadequate he feels compared to Superman. That’s why I kind of like the idea of Nicholas Hoult playing him. 

I'd take Hoult over Bill lol

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I like the idea of going peak physique Luthor, like he is on All-Star Superman. It plays well with Luther’s jealousy that he would be Earth’s super man if wasn’t for Superman himself. 

• Like 2

Still waiting for some names with real pull to help get this project taken seriously. From a commercial perspective, these names feel like X-Men: First Class. Sorry but it is what it is. What happened to Bradley Cooper as Lex and Tom Cruise as someone? It is not 2013. They need to pay whatever is necessary to get some real names in here or this thing is gonna get so overlooked. 

Edited by excel1
  • Haha 1
  • ...wtf 2
  • Knock It Off 1

30 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Still waiting for some names with real pull to help get this project taken seriously. From a commercial perspective, these names feel like X-Men: First Class. Sorry but it is what it is. What happened to Bradley Cooper as Lex and Tom Cruise as someone? It is not 2013. They need to pay whatever is necessary to get some real names in here or this thing is gonna get so overlooked. 

It’s Superman and it’s James Gunn, in what world is this “gonna get so overlooked?”

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

It’s Superman and it’s James Gunn, in what world is this “gonna get so overlooked?”

The same world where "It's Superman and it's Bryan Singer of Usual Suspects and 2 Mega Hit X-men films" got overlooked by the general public. 

1 hour ago, TMP said:

It's one of his defining characteristics that's never been translated into live-action - that he's near physical peak but still not enough to even come close to Superman

Clancy Brown >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> your faves

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Deep Wang said:

Well, he should have made a better movie 🤷🏼‍♂️

Nobody cared from the second the film opened. $21m opening day in 2006 was the definition of "meh".

The formula for these isn't rocket science. The cast has to help the film feel modern and exciting. Hiring a bunch of no to mid names to lead this film would be a gigantic miss. This project desperately needs a real, true star to bring some legitimacy and excitement to it. 

Feels weird being so negative about a DC film but is what it is. Get the sense this is shaping up to be another giant miscalculation and people will say "Director Gunn delivered a good movie on its own but Producer Gunn misread what get people excited".

Edited by excel1
  • Knock It Off 1

1 minute ago, excel1 said:

Nobody cared from the second the film opened. $21m opening day in 2006 was the definition of "meh".

The formula for these isn't rocket science. The cast has to help the film feel modern and exciting. Hiring a bunch of no to mid names to lead this film would be a gigantic miss. This project desperately needs a real, true star to bring some legitimacy and excitement to it. 

...someone like Josh Hartnett? 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Maggie said:

...someone like Josh Hartnett? 😁

Dude might be too busy stealing Pattinson's thunder in The Batman 2. 👀

• Astonished 1

4 minutes ago, excel1 said:

Yeah, it was a weird movie!  A “sequel” to Superman 2, a movie 26 years old that nobody cares about anymore. 

4 minutes ago, excel1 said:

I can’t wait to see what you say when the first trailer hits 😂