CJohn

Superman | July 11, 2025 | James Gunn writing and directing | David Corenswet is Clark, Rachel Brosnahan is Lois

18 minutes ago, grim22 said:

True, but the closest analog I can think of are Chris Pine or James Marsden, both of them excel in character roles more than leading roles but are just on the other side of the "attractive-very attractive" line that they get cast as leads enough

Reminds me that him and Parker Posey were in Superman Returns but somehow weren't Clark and Lois? Like it's a perfect casting, they were on the literal set no less, but they were like, "nah, we'll go with these boring nobodies instead"?????

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

21 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

You'd think Fury Road would have taught Hoult to stop worrying about hero roles and go on playing supporting weirdos.

Nice to hear from you, with all the craziness going on in Russia.

Just now, Eric Wayne said:

Reminds me that him and Parker Posey were in Superman Returns but somehow weren't Clark and Lois? Like it's a perfect casting, they were on the literal set no less, but they were like, "nah, we'll go with these boring nobodies instead"?????

That was the stretch when Marsden was playing roles where his wife/fiance/girlfriend ended up with a different person at the end of the movie. Superman Returns, X2 and X3, Enchanted, Straw Dogs, The Notebook.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Eric Wayne said:

I saw a publicity photo of Parker Posey with her real life long hair instead of the hairdo she wore in "Superman Returns" and thought;

"MY god, she is visually perfect for Lois, and even closer to the right Lois instead of the actress they chose. And in her Indie work she has shown she can act. Thye are crazy not to have cast her".

Love the castings. Gunn has always been spot on with his casting decisions imo so this isn't a surprise but I really love the choice of Rachel Brosnahan as Lois, that's inspired. I know some people are lamenting the loss of Nicholas Hoult and while I think he would have been a great choice as well, David Corenswet is more unexpected and after Pearl I'm so down to see what he has in store next.

22 minutes ago, BadOlCatSylvester said:

Like clockwork, they conveniently announce the Superman casting right as the abysmal second weekend drop for The Flash is making headlines. Classic, cynical damage control from Hollywood. Anyone new should take notes, for this is predictable behavior in this industry.

I am very happy with the casting itself though. David looks like the perfect Kal-El for our time. I don't have any opinion on Rachel yet, but everyone online is overjoyed, so I have high expectations.

This is predictable behavior in any industry. You always try to get attention away from  your failures. PR 101. Don't get the outrage. No business is going to want to draw any more attention to it's failure then necessary, and will do damage control.

Edited by dudalb
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, grim22 said:

That was the stretch when Marsden was playing roles where his wife/fiance/girlfriend ended up with a different person at the end of the movie. Superman Returns, X2 and X3, Enchanted, Straw Dogs, The Notebook.

Gotta love how Singer felt that the movie needed to show Lois cheating on her husband and having Clark's baby without anybody knowing. And then Clark's a Lifetime stalker Peeping Tom.

There's a lot in that movie they did good enough on, but those two choices just ruin the whole experience.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eric Wayne said:

Very much on board with Brosnahan and I'm sure the dude playing Clark will do well. I will say that going back to Lex Luthor again is pretty boring. It's frustrating how we still don't have a live-action Brainiac yet, but we now have three Lex Luthors. Four if you want to include Jon Cryer as his nephew.

I’m likely the major Superman nerd on the board. He was my favorite superhero growing up as a kid and he has several underrated villains, sure, with Brainiac being one of the best of them. I get what you are saying, I understand the sentiment, but with Gunn set out to make this as reboot to the DCU and not going with an even younger Superman, you can’t really escape from Lex Luthor.

You need him as soon as Clark arrives to Metropolis. Snyder got away without a Lex by making Man of Steel an origin film and not having Clark getting around Metrolpolis and the Daily Planet by the very end. The rumors swirling around this film kinda suggest that Lex won’t be the main antagonist here, or at very least not the single one, so there is that. 

For all my love to Superman’s history and even his villain gallery that I don’t think it gets enough credit as it deserves, Superman just needs Lex Luthor as a business mogul as soon as he comes to the Daily Planet, you can’t really play around that, a luxury that both Spidey and Batman do have when it comes to their respective rogue galleries, and how their stories don’t really circle around a public figure as big as Lex. You can’t ignore that Lex exists and how big of a looming figure he is in Metropolis, unless you go with the classic Donner’s route and play him as a con man, and that’s boring and not really the kind of threat that Luthor is to Superman. Superman can’t touch Lex because the way Lex operates, it’s a very interesting dynamic and more like Daredevil and Kingpin, than Batman and Joker, if that makes sense to you.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, LegionWrex said:

Love the castings. Gunn has always been spot on with his casting decisions imo so this isn't a surprise but I really love the choice of Rachel Brosnahan as Lois, that's inspired. I know some people are lamenting the loss of Nicholas Hoult and while I think he would have been a great choice as well, David Corenswet is more unexpected and after Pearl I'm so down to see what he has in store next.

I am expecting some meltdowns from the Elordi fanboys. They seem to be even more over the top then the Corenswet fans.

I suspect some A Hole will make a big deal because Corenswet is Jewish.

Edited by dudalb

5 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

David was always my number 1 choice too, ever since I seen him in Hollywood. It had to be him.

Sad it wasn’t Samara Weaving for Lois, but seems she wasn’t in the final 3. 

watch Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. That will reassure you about Lois.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Eric Wayne said:

Gotta love how Singer felt that the movie needed to show Lois cheating on her husband and having Clark's baby without anybody knowing. And then Clark's a Lifetime stalker Peeping Tom.

There's a lot in that movie they did good enough on, but those two choices just ruin the whole experience.

I don't think I have ever come out of the theater after watching a movie I was hyped for and feeling like "WTF did i just watch" as much as I did with Superman Returns. Everyone cites the plane rescue as a high point, and it is, but right after that plane rescue we go into about 90 minutes of nothing happening, and theres a good 30 minutes without Superman where we are with Lex and Lois on his boat. Its a lot of weird decisions in terms of narrative momentum.

Just now, Krissykins said:

David was always my number 1 choice too, ever since I seen him in Hollywood. It had to be him.

Sad it wasn’t Samara Weaving for Lois, but seems she wasn’t in the final 3. 

Samara Weaving and Emma Mackey fans should consider themselves lucky tbh. They have too much of a resemblance to Margot Robbie that a certain fanbase would start creating weird narratives about how Gunn wants Robbie lookalikes and is obsessed with them and stuff. Now they don't have to fight that war online.

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I was mostly joking, but he’s several years older than David Corenswet. 

This might be wishful thinking on my end, but I do think the plan for Brave and the Bold is not only bringing Damian into the fold as Robin, but not really just him, but at very least the first Robin aka Dick Grayson that at that point is Nightwing.

So what I’m saying is that Batman has to be operating long enough to be a parent to an estranged kid he isn’t aware of and be the foster father of Dick Grayson too. We need a Batdaddy, and although I think it will be some time before we get to Brave and the Bold casting, I think the casting age for Batman will be around 40. Someone that looks young, but also can look that has been around for a while. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dragoncaine said:

The top two choices. Nice! Now give Alex Skarsgard or Bradley Cooper Lex Luthor and throw Nicholas Hoult a bone with a member of The Authority.

That's where I'm at too. Sneider said Cooper couldn't do Lex due to scheduling with Spielberg's Bullitt, but he'd be a great Jor-El, a role that would require a lot less days on set. Alexander Skarsgard Lex is such good casting in general. I hope Hoult still gets a role in the DCU - he's too good of an actor to just not use, especially since the last live-action DC iteration really struggled with casting

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ZattMurdock said:

This might be wishful thinking on my end, but I do think the plan for Brave and the Bold is not only bringing Damian into the fold as Robin, but not really just him, but at very least the first Robin aka Dick Grayson that at that point is Nightwing.

So what I’m saying is that Batman has to be operating long enough to be a parent to an estranged kid he isn’t aware of and be the foster father of Dick Grayson too. We need a Batdaddy, and although I think it will be some time before we get to Brave and the Bold casting, I think the casting age for Batman will be around 40. Someone that looks young, but also can look that has been around for a while. 

WB should just cast Ryan Gosling as Batman and call it a day. Easiest casting possible. If he says no, go for Gyllenhaal - he's not even picky anymore lol

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

15 minutes ago, Eric Wayne said:

I was thinking of watching Superman Returns today for the first time, now maybe not.

1 minute ago, TMP said:

WB should just cast Ryan Gosling as Batman and call it a day. Easiest casting possible. If he says no, go for Gyllenhaal - he's not even picky anymore lol

My brain is kinda blown because you are 100% right. Gosling would 100% work. And I think he’d be down for it. He has Batdaddy energy.

3 minutes ago, TMP said:

Anyone else remember when Gosling was offered Joker in Suicide Squad before they ended up with Jared Leto?

Edited by AMC Theaters Enjoyer