Jack Nevada

Worst scenes in the best films

Most of Mystique's scenes in DOFP... just annoying and cheesy.   Awful makeup whenever she was in blue form, too.

The Futurist is going to kill you.

Anyway, here's my list. I don't necessarily think these scenes are bad, but I did get annoyed by some of them in great films.

OH YEAH, SPOILERS!

Silver Linings Playbook: The violent scene where Pat and his dad get into a fight. It's Russell channeling Scorsese, and stylistically, it works. But in terms of its relation to the rest of the film, it's a pretty bad scene. The film never really confronts Pat's violent ways, it sort of puts them to the side. Every once in a while, it will flashback to the moment where he beat up the person who his wife cheated with him on, but the film never lingers on this moment. It never takes stock of how badly Pat sank. Therefore, the violence feels like it's meant more for shock as opposed to introspection (which is how it usually functions in Scorsese's films). The scene between Pat and his dad only contributes to this. It happens, and then the film sort of just drops the entire thing, never coming back to it.

Captain Phillips: The escape scene. IDK, I'm not so sure they could've gotten rid of this scene, but I found that it was unnecessary since the film was already pretty tense, and that it was a little too much (even if it was the truth).

Back to the Future: I don't know why, but I dislike that scene when Marty is going back home and everything goes haywire. I honestly would rather just have him get into the car and go home. I'm pretty sure that I'm the only one who thinks like this, and I honestly can't even justify it. It's just how I feel.

The Matrix (one of my all-time favorite movies): The kiss scene. It just felt cheesy and cliché, and IDK if it even made sense. I'm not entirely sure how necessary it was, either. HOWEVER, the scene that comes after this is probably my favorite scene ever and makes up for EVERYTHING.

Those are the ones that came to mind just now.