baumer

The Babadook (2014)

33 members have voted

1. 1. Grade it

This was awesome. Just awesome. Essie Davis, the kid, the house. But, agreed that some of simpler choices in editing from scene to scene, sound effect choice, etc. were pretty amateurish. Then again, that just had me thinking back to early Polanski/Friedkin/Hooper/Raimi flicks that I adore as well. Essie Davis should've got some sort of best actress nod somewhere. She and Kent are the film.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 1

I actually liked the editing. The way Kent cut scenes off right at the point where they were at their most suspenseful/awkward/cringe-inducing really put me into the main character's always stressed out state of mind in the first third/half of the film. Prime example is when the kid pushes down the girl and we immediately cut to him and the mother in the car. The scenes where she's listing through the book were damn well edited too. 

Edited by Jake Gittes
  • Like 2

I actually liked the editing. The way Kent cut scenes off right at the point where they were at their most suspenseful/awkward/cringe-inducing really put me into the main character's always stressed out state of mind in the first third/half of the film. Prime example is when the kid pushes down the girl and we immediately cut to him and the mother in the car. The scenes where she's listing through the book were damn well edited too. 

The cuts/cutting to which you're referring were wonderful. I mostly meant some of the stale shots of trees and other exterior establishing shots. And, some of the less inventive use of sound(s). But, yeah, I was really just voicing some small, insignificant complaints. And, honestly, some of my complaints just added to the movie's charm for me. I really liked this one. One of my favorites of the year. Though, admittedly, I'm a mark for the sub-genre and any filmmaker effectively emulating the directors I mentioned in my earlier post.

Edited by JohnnyGossamer
  • Like 2

Finally got around watching it and i really liked it.

Very well made, suspenseful, with a great atmosphere, incredible performances (Essie Davis was brilliant) and a very interesting allegory. It's a psychological thriller and a character study with horror elements. The whole metaphor was by far the most interesting thing but at the same time it ended up as part of some of its weaknesses. And that is when the movie finally aknowledges that the Babadook is her guilts and her traumatic past. When we (as viewers) see it as a metaphor it's very interesting and exciting but when the movie and the characters see it that way also it kinda loses its power. That made the ending a bit anticlimatic to me.

Still a very original and worthy arthouse horror film. The writer/director is one to watch.

• Like 2

Baumer rally hit the nail on this one in his review, as usual. This was my most anticipated horror film to watch h, and was thrilled to hear that it was on Netflix. Unfortunately, I barely got scared, had to watch long boring scenes, and cringe worthy editing. Next up on my horror list to watch is The Quiet Ones.

Also, the "family dog getting killed" is getting really old now in horror flicks.

Edited by Captain Jack Sparrow
  • Like 1

Loved this. Built a creepy, spooky atmosphere that was totally psychological. Sure it wasn't filled with over the top scares and the Babadook itself didn't frighten me too much but in the end it all clicked. Plus, a child actor I actually didn't hate for once! Well, I hated the character at first, but respect the acting. Love how he protected his mom at the end. This is a movie about motherhood.

Edited by SlayDIM
  • Like 2

It's a good film, but good horror film?  Ehhh, it's been done before, and it's been done better (Jacob's Ladder).  I suppose it tells you how bad horror is now that this is being portrayed as some kind of knight in shining armor for the genre.

Hopefully It Follows will live up to the hype more.

• Like 1

Really fantastic, original, creepy, character-driven horror film, perfectly released in an age where "horror" has descended to being a murky pool of thoughtless jump-scares and throwaway remakes which have no idea what made their predecessors so good. Proper A-grade horror, I'm sure it'll become a cult movie.

• Like 2

It's a psychological horror/thriller... Not unlike Repulsion and Rosemary's Baby. Though. not as impressive as either. Watched it again, aside from some minor qualms directly associated with Kent being a young filmmaker, pretty outstanding cinema. Great, great work from the two leads.

• Like 2

• Community Manager

Truly fantastic. More horror films should strive to have strong characters with actual growth/development, a deep story, and suspense that comes from the psychological harm of the characters rather than from cheap scare tactics. Plus the cinematography is very beautiful, where every shot not only adds to the atmosphere but carries some meaning as well.

The one real flaw is that the monster saying his own name sounded way too silly.

A-

• Like 2