druv10

Tuesday Actuals: Nolan - 6.9M, BH6 - 10.5M

All he did was express an opinion that's outside the norm here. You're the one who's calling people "nefarious". Yes, "elitist" is a negative term... but one man's connoisseur is another's elitist.

I'm fine with expressing an opinion… I take issue with blanket calling fans of a particular thing "sheep".

That's all. 

And maybe the "elitist" tag was inaccurate. One's taste can be elite in movies, or even considered "snobby." Lord knows I like those types of movies, but I just wanted to take issue with what I found to be the more insulting parts of his posts. Which, of course, you may not find insulting…

So it's all subjective  :P

• Like 5

It's not so much being annoyed with him not liking comic book movies, just so much as trying to have a nice little discourse on the merit of contemporary superhero films. Honestly, I'm one of the more tame responses here.  ;)

Besides, most of us are hardly the target audience for kids movies and rom coms, so you wouldn't expect us to get really extreme on either end.

• Like 1

BK007 was traahing young adult films or romantic comedies nobody would care. Say something negative about Christopher Nolan movies. People get upset

Fixed.

Kidding aside, I agree. I totally buy why some aren't head over heels for the super-saturated genre. The formula does become redundant. That said, loved Guardians of the Galaxy while Winter Soldier and Days Of Future Past were fun enough. Hero 6 didn't resonate with me like LEGO or, especially, Dragon 2 did earlier this year.

I do disagree with BK's view that Joker from Dark Knight's the only truly memorable villain for a superhero film. Syndrome, Doc Ock, Penguin, Loki all were pretty memorable for me. I'm sure I'm forgetting a few others.

• Like 1

bash-ya-filmsromcoms.jpg

Excuse you, if someone said the same thing about the HP or Divergent series, I'd say the exact same thing!  ANd I'm a pretty damn staunch fan of Fault in Our Stars, so.  :P

I don't watch rom coms, not really my thing, but I wouldn't call people who loved them "sheep" either :ph34r:

Edited by WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot
  • Like 2

This Week's Predictions -

1. Big Hero 6 (Walt Disney) - $34.8 million -38% 

2. Dumb and Dumber To (Universal) - $27.6 million N/A

3. Interstellar (Paramount) - $22.8 million -52%

4. Beyond the Lights (Relativity) - $8.8 million N/A

5. Gone Girl (20th Century Fox) - $4.5 million -28%

6. St. Vincent (The Weinstein Company) - $4.0 million -26%

7. Fury (Sony) - $3.4 million -40% 

8. Ouija (Universal) - $3.2 million -45%

9. Birdman (Fox Searchlight) - $2.9 million +23%

10. Nightcrawler (Open Road Entertainment) - $2.8 million -48%

Read more: The Weekend Warrior: Dumb and Dumber To, Beyond the Lights - ComingSoon.net http://www.comingsoon.net/news/weekendwarriornews.php?id=124928#ixzz3IsqaVXGh 

No, I don't think Interstellar should fall quite that low. It's opening weekend was slightly undercut by the early opening (slightly), and it seems to be atrracting an older audience. I'll guesss omething more like 25-27M, though even higher than that wouldn't surprise me.

• Like 1

Re:  Buzz, bear in mind that marketing tries to generate buzz in its target audience.  If you're not a kid, or have kids, its entirely possible you aren't seeing the marketing or hearing the buzz.

I wouldn't have said it if I didn't have sources, which in my case would be my little nephew (the informer) and his classmates. ;) Plus I talk with a number of parents of young children I know on a regular basis (work, my neighborhood, etc.), and they actually bring this stuff up for me because they know that I'm interested, especially when it concerns animation. That said, it's just a bunch of anecdotes that are coalesced into a single anecdote from me, so take it for what it's worth.

I'm not a kid and only have daughters, and as a result missed the bulk of the TMNT buzz and underestimated the movie.  I knew it was coming, but didn't think it was a particularly big deal while my friends who have sons later told me their kids were talking about little else and were getting constantly bombarded by advertising. Sometimes being even just a little out of the target market means you miss most of the marketing and underestimate what they're up to.

That could happen, especially with our limited sample sizes anyway, but I'm just reporting what I see in my limited sphere of influence. Small though it may be, however, it hasn't been less accurate over time than whatever sources others--including professionals--have been using. For example, I totally called HTTYD 2's underperformance on another forum (wasn't here then), as the only buzz I saw was on the Internet, blinding though it was.

For Penguins of Madagascar I'm seeing not that much excitement or intrigue, but very good awareness, which is what I meant earlier by many people showing up anyway. That's why I agree that it probably won't be huge, but may surprise some people who are predicting only like $130-140M.

My guess, regarding the penguins, is that their sense of humor and the quasi-military way they banter will lose something in translation relative to an average animated movie.  The other Madagascar movies were all pretty easy to get the message across, and I'm not sure it will be as smooth with the penguins.

I can totally buy this argument.

Also, their TV show ended its run in 2011 or 2012, whereas HTTYD only started in 2012 and is still on the air.

Isn't it still being rerun, though, and isn't it on Redbox, Netflix, etc.?

People who really like Interstellar or Snowpiercer may want to make sure the jocks understand their geek fare is seen as better than other geek fare.

I want to make sure that people know that Snowpiercer is better than Insterstellar as well :ph34r:

• Like 9