CJohn

4-DAY Wkd Est: MI4 - 46.2M; SH2 - 31.8M; AatC3 - 20M; DT - 19.4M; Tintin - 16.1M / WH - 15M

From THR

"Paramount's Tom Cruise starrer Mission: Impossible--Ghost Protocol ruled the Christmas box office with a four-day holiday gross of $46.2 million, bringing it's worldwide total to a stellar $218.6 million in just over a week in release.

The film, the fourth in the espionage franchise, has now taken in $78.6 million domestically and $140 million overseas. At those levels, Ghost Protocol has a shot at earning $200 million in North America and $400 million overseas -- easily a franchise best and eclipsing the $546.4 million earned by Mission: Impossible II."

Cruise must be having one hell of a Christmas!

Edited by CJohn

From THR

"Paramount's Tom Cruise starrer Mission: Impossible--Ghost Protocol ruled the Christmas box office with a four-day holiday gross of $46.2 million, bringing it's worldwide total to a stellar $218.6 million in just over a week in release.

The film, the fourth in the espionage franchise, has now taken in $78.6 million domestically and $140 million overseas. At those levels, Ghost Protocol has a shot at earning $200 million in North America and $400 million overseas -- easily a franchise best and eclipsing the $546.4 million earned by Mission: Impossible II."

600 mill w ould make this movie one of the biggest breakout's 2011 Edited by fmpro

Yes. First, it wouldn`t make its budget back from domestic release and second, it`s way below expectations fuelled by the overhype.

As I have personally said before I thought it would be a BB-like hit. However, BB, being already niche, was definitely more mainstream than DT, so I think expectations all around were unrealistic. They were probably expecting it to be an Oscar challenger as well as riding Fincher's popularity. No idea why it needed $100m to tell the tale but I'll be seeing it soon.

Well, its not even 1pm yet and We Bought A Zoo, Arthur Christmas, Muppets, and Alvin have already sold out their first showings of the day. Alvin has sold its first two, in fact...the second of which doesn't start for another half hour.

I think 26th was best for family flicks back in 2005. But great to know AC has a sellout past Christmas. Deserves to be seen by more people.

• Founder / Operator

I think 26th was best for family flicks back in 2005. But great to know AC has a sellout past Christmas. Deserves to be seen by more people.

Definitely.Alvin just sold out its third show of the day, Zoo sold out another, and Holmes sold out one as well.Business around here, at least, seems to be quite robust today.

Well, its not even 1pm yet and We Bought A Zoo, Arthur Christmas, Muppets, and Alvin have already sold out their first showings of the day. Alvin has sold its first two, in fact...the second of which doesn't start for another half hour.

Still nothing for Tintin? That movie can't catch a break. Looks like Muppets will show some life this week. About time!

Still nothing for Tintin? That movie can't catch a break. Looks like Muppets will show some life this week. About time!

Tintin actully had one of the best mondays of them all compared to OD, friday ect

From THR

Simply stunning - especially considering two major things this had going against it:

1. Franchise fatigue - the '4th film syndrome' that so many films fall victim to,

2. 2011 - the year where (basically) everything just went s#!t.

Edited by Robertron

Simply stunning - especially considering two major things this had going against it:1. Franchise fatigue - the '4th film syndrome' that so many films fall victim to,2. 2011 - the year where (basically) everything just went s#!t.

Not to mention the anti-Cruise fervor. But I guess that's history now, thank goodness.

• Founder / Operator

Updating the theater I'm tracking today:

War Horse (2 screens) - 1 sell out

Zoo (2 screens) - 2 sell outs

Tattoo (2 screens) - 2 sell outs

MI4 (2 screens) - 1 sell out

Holmes 2 (2 screens) - 3 sell outs

New Year's (1 screen) - 1 sell out

Arthur (1 screen) - 1 sell out

Muppets (1 screen) - 1 sell out

And, this is just flat out incredible...

Alvin has sold out all 7 of its first 7 shows (through times that don't start for another hour and a half from now). I don't even remember the first two films quite doing that.