CoolioD1

Film Critics Awards 2014. (winners in 1st post)

I love Swinton but she's not getting nominated. I mean, it's a broadly comic performance in a deeply eccentric post-apocalyptic action movie that was dumped by Weinstein and never saw wide release. It's a critics' darling which is why she's getting nominations from them but who the fuck is going to care about it in the Academy? 

• Like 1

I love Swinton but she's not getting nominated. I mean, it's a broadly comic performance in a deeply eccentric post-apocalyptic action movie that was dumped by Weinstein and never saw wide release. It's a critics' darling which is why she's getting nominations from them but who the fuck is going to care about it in the Academy? 

If there is enough buzz amongst critics, guilds and televised will start to bite. That's exactly what happened with WNTTAK. She wasn't even on the radar until NBR put her on the radar and then it just ballooned from there and fell just a little short. I'm still surprised that she didn't get nommed tho (and completely disgusted and pissed off at Maramania) when she got BAFTA, GG, SAG, BFCA. She hit every single fuckign televised award and didn't get it. :'( 

This time around, we can probably count on BAFTA happening if she wins a few more critics awards and the buzz is sustained and also BFCA because they nomiante like 7 or 8 people or something. If she can hit either GG or SAG, I think we can start predicting her for a nod. 

Critics supporting The Immigrant without any campaigning for the film whatsoever is an inspiring sight, but it also makes me despise Weinstein even more. Every filmmaker who does't make blatant Oscar bait and isn't named Quentin Tarantino should just stay far away from him at this point. 

• Like 1

AFI Top Films of the Year:

American Sniper, Birdman, Boyhood, Foxcatcher, Imitation, Interstellar, Into the Woods, Nightcrawler, Selma, Unbroken, Whiplash.

So basically anything not on the list and American is out of the picture. Only DBC and EL&IC made it in without AFI. And those were very unique situations.

So doesn't look good for AMVY and Gone Girl. Tho Foxcatcher got a break and Theory of Everything wasn't eligible but I doubt that gets a BP non. The film was so fucking boring and just meh even tho I love Eddie.

Or maybe TGBH will surprise with a BP non. And Gone Girl could be revived if it gets enough SAG mentions a la DBC but unlikely at best.

I have been saying for a couple months now even before these critic awards that GBH is going to sneak in a nod. These critics awards are making me even more confident of that.

I have been saying for a couple months now even before these critic awards that GBH is going to sneak in a nod. These critics awards are making me even more confident of that.

Yeah :D except I'm concerned it didn't score an AFI nod when Moonrise Kingdom did because AFI nod is a major indicator of who's in contention and who's out.