kayumanggi

SOUTHPAW | 07.24.15 | The Weinstein Company | final domestic gross: $52,421,953

Does Hollywood realize yet that boxing hasn't been that relevant in the US in like 50 years by now?

Yeah, those Rocky movies were such flops. And Mike Tyson, Evander Holyfield, Floyd Mayweather etc all made their money in investments.

• Like 2

Which was a laughable fight apparently where the wrong person was said to have won...

The wrong person didn't win the fight.  The problem was that the winner was the only one to show up ready to actually fight.  The loser just seemed to show up for a paycheck whether he was healthy or not.  The reason there was no controversy outside of certain fans is that the fight was not even close.

• Like 1

so i saw it last night,

i was tearing up the entire movie , you  know sometimes a movie pulls at your heartstrings you know it the movie knows it but when done well you go with the flow , his story was just so heartbreaking...i don't like boxing but it does lend itself well to drama

well all i can say if jake gyllenhall isnt up for best actor i don't know what is up with the academy ! i'd even say he should win but the year is young ,like my dear leo can't blame him for trying , this has got to be his best effort to date , rachel mc adams for best supporting actress and the little girl playing his daughter too , forest whitaker for best supporting actor !

antoine fuqua for best director , james horner for best  score , best song for eminem & gwen stefani , dude for cinematography  , best screenplay awww give them all the noms !

def going to rewatch this again just wow !

• Like 3

I walked into a showing of this, it must have been about half way through, and all I saw was Forest Whitaker's character say something along the lines of, "He wants a thing. It's a very precious thing. That thing is your thing." with no hint of irony.

The movie was more hit than miss for me but when it was on, it was on in a large way.  I too teared up watching it, it was very very emotional in many parts.  Gylenhaal is really outstanding here and I think Rachael McAdams might be the sexiest woman in the world.  The actress who plays the daughter is really good too.

• Like 1

I walked into a showing of this, it must have been about half way through, and all I saw was Forest Whitaker's character say something along the lines of, "He wants a thing. It's a very precious thing. That thing is your thing." with no hint of irony.

Have you ever had this problem, where you walk into a movie (to do a theatre check or for any other reason) that you haven't yet seen, and you're given a big big spoiler? Whether it's the funniest joke from a comedy, or the final fight in Ant-Man or MI5, it still bothers me :lol:

• Like 1

Have you ever had this problem, where you walk into a movie (to do a theatre check or for any other reason) that you haven't yet seen, and you're given a big big spoiler? Whether it's the funniest joke from a comedy, or the final fight in Ant-Man or MI5, it still bothers me :lol:

in those instances I either just focus on checking the screen, or I walk out and do a different screen first. I see most movies opening weekend or before release so statistically it isn't much of a problem.

Edited by Tree-5000
  • Like 1

in those instances I either just focus on checking the screen, or I walk out and do a different screen first. I see most movies opening weekend or before release so statistically it isn't much of a problem.

I try to see most film as soon as possible, but I'm almost always put as an usher for Friday matinees, so I always work (before) I get the chance to see the movie.

Only few times it's happened was JW 

when the mosasaur kills the Indominus

Spy 

I saw Jude Law towards the end so I knew he didn't die

and Ant-Man 

just one of Pena's funny moments

• Like 1

I try to see most film as soon as possible, but I'm almost always put as an usher for Friday matinees, so I always work (before) I get the chance to see the movie.

Only few times it's happened was JW 

when the mosasaur kills the Indominus

Spy 

I saw Jude Law towards the end so I knew he didn't die

and Ant-Man 

just one of Pena's funny moments

I am not usually on floor duty, the manager usually keeps me on concessions for the whole shift as it's what I am best at. i'm sure I will get some key moments ruined, but hey. 

I am not usually on floor duty, the manager usually keeps me on concessions for the whole shift as it's what I am best at. i'm sure I will get some key moments ruined, but hey. 

part of the job. By the way, which do you prefer doing; floor duty, or concession? (I guess that's what we call usher, stand on door, theatre checks, sweep etc).

• Like 1

part of the job. By the way, which do you prefer doing; floor duty, or concession? (I guess that's what we call usher, stand on door, theatre checks, sweep etc).

just to clarify, here:

floor = ushering, cleaning screens, screen checks

concessions = selling tickets, selling food/drink, stocking up, preparing food

I way prefer concessions, it's constant interaction with customers, which is like a shot of serotonin for me, and I get to talk to staff, always busy with things. And when it's busy I can compete with the others performance wise :P

• Like 2

just to clarify, here:

floor = ushering, cleaning screens, screen checks

concessions = selling tickets, selling food/drink, stocking up, preparing food

I way prefer concessions, it's constant interaction with customers, which is like a shot of serotonin for me, and I get to talk to staff, always busy with things. And when it's busy I can compete with the others performance wise :P

Haha yeah I love when the theatres put on competitions! We actually recently had a contest with all other Landmark theatres in Canada for concession and we were consistently in the top 3 :) So same, I like concession better for pretty much the same reasons.

Because we're a smaller theatre, we usually have out supervisor(s) in box office, but if they're busy doing something else (usually when it's a slow day) it'll just be whoever's closest will be the one to sell tickets when someone shows up.

• Like 1

LOL, I laughed at that part. The script isn't usually that bad tbh