grim22

Ready Player One | March 29, 2018 | Spielberg directing | No untagged spoilers allowed

18 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

If this ends up rotten on RT it will absolutely kill it at the box office. If people think WiT's critical reception affected its box office, that's nothing compared to what it will do for a movie like this. 

There is few target audience more into RT than for this movie I imagine (Baby Driver being an other example of a target audience extremely into reviews and a rare case of a wide release movie really helped by them)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Surprised the embargo has lifted this early if reviews are gonna be this ho hum. Really not a good strategy, the last thing this needs is more time for more bad buzz to build. 

When tracking is low (I imagine same mindset for Red Sparrow last month), may as well take a chance, from what transpire they could have ended quite good, does not seem to be missing much and probably does look very good (making a bit hard to know for people without any distance with it how it will play), probably tested well enough also.

Edited by Barnack

I guess Spielberg is rich enough to just be kind of chill about the whole thing these days. BFG also screened two months early at Cannes.

Think they were more interested in just screening the film to a supportive audience and maybe manufacture some general hype for a little bit.

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

Surprised the embargo has lifted this early if reviews are gonna be this ho hum. Really not a good strategy, the last thing this needs is more time for more bad buzz to build. 

There are no embargos for these film festival screenings (which are mostly attended by trade critics anyway).

1 minute ago, tribefan695 said:

I guess Spielberg is rich enough to just be kind of chill about the whole thing these days. BFG also screened two months early at Cannes.

Think they were more interested in just screening the film to a supportive audience and maybe manufacture some general hype for a little bit.

Oh I can guarantee Spielberg couldn't care less if his films are hits these days lol. And any studio head would probably shake in their boots to try to deny him the budget he wants to make a film. He's literally invincible, even a $500m budgeted box office bomb wouldn't hurt him. Can still do what he wants in the industry.