Jack Nevada

Jack Nevada's Top 30 Films of 2014

Yeah boyeeee

Supermensch_Dogwoof_Documentary_Shep_Gor

22. Supermensch: The Legend of Shep Gordon - directed by Mike Myers

I knew nothing of Shep Gordon before seeing this documentary, and that might be the ideal way of seeing Supermensch.

Don't do any research, just go in completely blind and let the insane celebrity anecdotes suprise you.

It is highly entertaining and a must see for anyone intestered in the inner workings of show business.

Edited by Jack Nevada
  • Like 1

You know you want it.

d-is-for-deloused_-1024x682-26-new-horri

21. ABCS of Death 2 - multiple directors

This movie is fucking insane. I don't think I've ever seen so much sick, twisted creativity packed into two hours. You get zombies, home invasions, gorilla brain transplants, a 12 year pregnancy and five movies worth of bloodshed and mayhem. Sure, this is an anthology so obviously there are episodes that bomb completely, but the good stuff easily outweighs the bad.

To quote the Good Poster: "You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll hurl"

Edited by Jack Nevada

Ball so hard.

13936-1.jpg

20. Listen Up Philip - directed by Alex Ross Perry

Jason Schwartzman plays Philip, a self-centered and thoroughly unlikable New York writer in this decidedly un-quirky indie drama. Philip is a terrible human being and that might turn people off this film, and I understand. I personally enjoyed seeing Schwartzman play this self-entitled intellectual shithead with gusto. The supporting cast are also good, namely TVs Elisabeth Moss and Jonathan Pryce, who bascially plays an older version of Philip.

This is a dialogue-heavy, kinda funny character piece about a privliged semi-intellectual asshole. Could be painful for some people, I liked it. I like movies where people sit down and have a conversation.

Captain-America-Winter-Soldier.jpg

19. Captain America: The Winter Soldier - directed by Anthony Russo and Joe Russo

Marvel's output is somewhat uneven. I don't think they've done a horrible product so far but there have been films like Thor 2 that I thought were not that good. As most of you know I didn't like Winter Soldier on my first viewing and I talked mad shit about it. Well, to quote Guardians of the Galaxy, I guess I had a stick up my ass. It's a satisfying superhero movie that, while visually underwhelmingly digital and never quite as clever as it ought to be, delivers plenty of jokes, action and even some plot.

Toby Jones' evil computer bit is still my favorite.

russell-crowe-noah1.jpg

18. Noah - directed by Darren Aronofsky

Crazy go nuts bonkers. I loved Noah. It has a real madness to it, like Aronofsky going "FUCK IT" in a good way. It's big on on spectacle, raw energy and silliness.

ebert-thumb-630xauto-45411.jpg

17. Life Itself - directed by Steve James

It's Roger Ebert. We all miss him and we all have warm feelings towards his work, but even then this is a really solid biographic documentary. Okay, Life Itself is not exactly groundbreaking documentary cinema, but it's honestly it's everything I could've wanted from a film about Roger Ebert. I cried.

Edited by Jack Nevada
  • Like 5

Back in black.

9d1e41e0-dbbb-11e3-8fc7-937f575ce089_obv

16. Obvious Child -- directed by Gillian Robespierre

Jenny Slate is going to be huge. Just putting that out there.

This movie really crept up on me. I've seen it three times now and while it is slight (the runtime is 85 minutes, to begin with) it's just so funny, so snappy and so effortlessly charming that I couldn't help but put it above Under the Skin and Life Itself on my list. Obvious Child is about abortion, but it's also a sweet story of a poop-obsessed stand-up and an almost cartoonishly earnest Midwestern lug (played by the very likable Jake Lacy). You also have Gaby Hoffman and Gabe Liedman giving fine support as Jenny Slate's friends, while Richard Kind and Polly Draper turn up as the main character's surprisingly down-to-earth parents. Despite a short runtime you get a real sense of these characters and their relationships, and all of it rings true.

The film made a pretty good number at the box office, which was a nice surprise, and I suspect it will do well on iTunes and eventually on Netflix. To put it in poster quote terms, Obvious Child is the cuddliest abortion movie ever made.

Now get this Paul Simon song stuck in your head

Edited by Jack Nevada
  • Like 1