Neo

Alien: Covenant | 5/19/2017 | Who needs mystery?

There are movies that kill franchises  

and

there are movies that just plain kill myths.

When you do both, you can say you have done something in your lifetime worth remembering.

Edited by The Futurist

Saw this on a plane and actually... enjoyed it quite a bit. Way more tonally and thematically consistent than Prometheus, it may not have been quite the space slasher that was advertised but Fassbender is great and the ending is a welcome and all-to-rare downer for a blockbuster. The whole thing is simply far weirder than these kind of movies have any right to be these days.

Shame Scott will almost certainly never direct another one, but hey-ho.

Edited by Hatebox

2 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Saw this on a plane and actually... enjoyed it quite a bit. Way more tonally and thematically consistent than Prometheus, it may not have been the space slasher that was advertised but Fassbender is great and the ending is a welcome and all-to-rare downer for a blockbuster.

Shame Scott will almost certainly never direct another of these movies, but hey-ho.

Don't understand the vitriol for this film. Thought it was the best Alien film since Aliens (that's not saying much)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Boxofficerules said:

That's probably why I really like it, it's pretty much like a slasher film!

That's the parts I didn't like.

The story was much more interesting to me when they found the time to put it in.   I've seen the aliens stalk and kill clueless crew members countless times.   It's getting really "samey".

• Like 1

It is a slasher with Prometheus bits shoehorned in. How could anyone say that the Prometheus stuff is anything more than connective tissue, a bridge to the more traditional Alien structure is beyond me.

Edited by Goffe

7 minutes ago, Goffe said:

It is a slasher with Prometheus bits shoehorned in.

Nah, it's the other way around. Scott and the writers are clearly obsessed with the 'soul of synthetics' and 'origin of life' stuff — hence how top-heavy the screentime is with them — it's all the gory deaths that feel like an afterthought.

To be clear, I like it that way. But I get why it annoyed people given the marketing. It's almost funny how little the xenomorph is around.

• Like 2

Just now, Hatebox said:

Nah, it's the other way around. Scott and the writers are clearly obsessed with the 'soul of synthetics' and 'origin of life' stuff — hence how top-heavy the screentime is with them — it's all the gory deaths that feel like an afterthought.

To be clear, I like it that way. But I get why it annoyed people given the marketing. It's almost funny how little the xenomorph is around.

I think if the series moves forward, Scott isn't directing any further installments. I won't be shocked if a Xenomorph which exists independent of David's experiments shows up and kills David at the start of the next movie to retcon the previous 2 movies out of existence and never brought up again. There were Xenomorph sculptures in Prometheus, so they have an out for the retcon as well.

1 minute ago, grim22 said:

I think if the series moves forward, Scott isn't directing any further installments. I won't be shocked if a Xenomorph which exists independent of David's experiments shows up and kills David at the start of the next movie to retcon the previous 2 movies out of existence and never brought up again. There were Xenomorph sculptures in Prometheus, so they have an out for the retcon as well.

I'd say you can put of a fork in this franchise, but then I look at the dead corpse of the Terminator being brought back to life again and again and realize 'who am I kidding'?

But yes, I think Scott's brand of sci-fi philosophizing in these movies has probably had its day, for better or worse. 

I feel like many of the crew members were killed off too quickly, as if they were worth nothing to the writers. And Billy Crudup' s character should've been more fleshed out for his laughable mistake to make sense- though putting yourself into a situation where you are likely to get the facehugger on your face, even if you don't know It's gonna happen, is still a little careless.

23 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

Sure, I agree, Scott is only interested in David’s story, that much is clear. 

But all I remember is the shit, rehashed creature chases disposable characters. It feels like the overwhelming majority of the film.

I dig Prom a lot, so Covenant turning out the way it did was disappointing to say the least.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Boxofficerules said:

The problem with the movie is that it's two things. People love the slasher parts and hate the Prometheus parts or vice versa. So it's a movie that most people half like but feel the other part gets in the way.

That's my impression too.   They could take the slasher stuff completely out of the movies and I would be fine with it.  I doubt I would even miss the xenomorphs at all.    Frankly my favorite parts of even Alien and Aliens were character and story moments.   The xenomorphs chasing people around was almost background noise to me.

So if I was in charge, I would lower the budget and let Scott go with his vision.   That would allow you to lose the slasher audience and still make a profit.