Neo

Alien: Covenant | 5/19/2017 | Who needs mystery?

Visually, Promethius was stunner. The FX blended perfectly with the live action sets and on location shots. Fasssbender and Rapace were very good in their roles but everyone else was decent to mediocre. And like others have said, the story didn't seem to know what it wanted to be which I blame Scott for. It was his story idea from the get go. I still say Fox needs to give Cameron whatever he wants to make another Alien movie. I guarantee we'd get something worthy of being called an Alien movie.

• Like 1

Whoooo?

Walt Disney Animation Studios.

Also thinking about the acting in Prometheus, I rather liked most of the actors. Rapace, Fassbender, Theron, Elba, Spall, and Pearce all did fine in their roles. It's just that the roles were poorly written.

• Like 1

Walt Disney Animation Studios.

Also thinking about the acting in Prometheus, I rather liked most of the actors. Rapace, Fassbender, Theron, Elba, Spall, and Pearce all did fine in their roles. It's just that the roles were poorly written.

Everybody, expect that Logan Marshall-Green guy. No defending that TOM HARDY WANNABE HACK.

EDIT: Looking at his Wiki, he went to an acting institute in the same town my girlfriend grew up in. STILL A HACK.

Edited by RichWS
  • Like 1

I personally don't hate it at all, but do find certain aspects of it very sloppily executed:

1. Lack of direction. Is it a horror movie or a philosophical discussion on life? It, unsuccessfully, tries to be both. As a horror movie it isn't scary, as a philosophical discussion it doesn't go anywhere, doesn't say anything. Too many cooks in the kitchen... or just Ridley?

2. Lack of character development and motivations. Yeah, the space cobra thing, among others.

3. The impatient and incessant need to jump from set-up to set-up makes the movie feel rushed. It takes time and effort to build atmosphere and dread. Alien understood this, Prometheus does not.

Yeah Alien was a quiet movie with silence being used to add tension. Prometheus has a lot of noise and big sound but with half the effect.

• Like 2

Yeah Alien was a quiet movie with silence being used to add tension. Prometheus has a lot of noise and big sound but with half the effect.

As much as I like half of PROMETHEUS, I have to strongly agree with the above statement. I saw ALIEN again after watching PROMETHEUS and realize how much I prefer the younger Ridley work.
  • Like 1

If WDAS was doing the Prometheus sequel, it would dramatically improve its chances of being good.

that's a big no no. Just imagine, a family friendly Prometheus with many comic reliefs, unnecessary musical numbers, etc. Ugh :vomit: Edited by Goffe Rises

I didn't mind Prometheus, but the editing was really bizarre. Just jumping from scene to scene, mood to mood, there was no thread to hang on to.

The scene after the medpod cesarian section was a big WTF (among others). So the main protagonist of the mission, who just gave birth to an alien squid inside the ship, stumbles all bloody and fucked up collapsing in front of Weyland's people but they all act like nothing terrible just really happened to Shaw and there is no immediate threat in the ship that should warn the whole shipcrew that someone contaminated by the black goo can be pregnant with deadly alien squids. No, they won't care nor discuss any of it, (Shaw seems totally oblivious and numb), they're just rambling and talking like they're having teatime then agree to go see the Engineer, yup. No one will adress the topic not even the captain throwing a logical line like "WTF did happen to you Shaw? What? You gave birth to an alien squid? Where it is to be sure it's dead and non-threatening to our billion dollar mission?"

(And Shaw doesn't even feel any hard feeling toward David or does she understand at any point what he has done to her? Contrast how Ripley developed a lingering defiance toward Ash because she sees through his agenda and he didn't even impregnated her with an alien).

Another editing fucked up, I spot while watching the movie resulting from production trouble trying to figure out the continuity of the plot at last minute: The zombie Fifield scene is the prime exemple of that.

Remember those promo screenshots from the teasers?

Posted ImagePosted Image

It's because the Fifield attack was supposed to happen at the same time Weyland and the ilks are in the hangar to go meet the engineers, that's why you see his goons shooting to kill Fifield running amok on the pics above. They try to get on the truck while throwing flame to zombie's, they manage to get on the truck at last and run over him to go straight to the temple.

But at last minute, they decided to scrap that beat but instead of reshooting it properly, they try to meddle around keeping a lot of the existing shots. So in the actual movie, Fifield attacks way before Weyland goes to the temple. Meanwhile, Weyland, his mercenary goons and Shaw are totally ignoring the ship is under attack because they're having tea time after a C-section.

In the original edit, Weyland's excursion to the temple and Fifield's attack were simultaneous events but it was all messed up between the teaser and the release.

That means now, in the theatrical release, that one of the goons seen with Weyland after Fifield's attack just disappears from the movie because he was supposed to be killed by Fifield in the original edit footage from which the teaser was made after. The theatrical release has rendered those scenes tone deaf, illogical and out of order because of that kind of editing mess.

Edited by dashrendar44
  • Like 1