iceroll

BOT's Top 100 TV Shows of All Time - COUNTDOWN COMPLETE! (Top 20 Time! Starts p.17)

WooHoo! Hurrah for Pokemon and Dragon Ball Z making it to the top 50. To be honest i am quite surprised at pokemon getting this high, but then maybe I am not the only one who loved it as a kid and who has quiet somr fond memories of it. On the other hand i think dragon ball z should have been a lot higher.

• Like 1

Ok, this is apropos of nothing, but while binge reading this list just now (I failed to notice where it was moved to, and I've just recently found it again) I had a sudden realization.

The TV show Deadwood is set in Deadwood, South Dakota. Deadwood, SD is an actual town that existed in the late 1800s, and like the show says, Wild Bill Hickok was killed nearby and his murder trial was held in Deadwood. As fate would have it, my great grandfather (possibly great-great grandfather) was the justice of the peace in Deadwood exactly during that time (apparently he was one of like 4 people in whole town who could read) and presided over exactly that trial. In the TV show, the judge overseeing the trial gets pressured pretty heavily and as a result ends up finding the killer innocent and splits town shortly afterwards.

Interestingly, my ancestor, who was married with kids and ran the local bank, also split town immediately after the trial, with the family history being that Deadwood had gotten too big and urban for him, and he wanted to find someone a little quieter. So leaves his wife in charge of the bank and spends 6 months riding his horse all the way up to the coast of the Hudson Bay where he finds a guy with a trading post. The guy trades with the Indians and fur traders but is tired of the cold, so they discuss my ancestor buying the trading post. He writes to his wife, telling her to sell the bank, pack up the kids and move like 1000+ miles north (north from South Dakota, that is) and buy the trading post. She tells him the family is moving up there over her dead body, so he comes back home, sells the bank, and instead moves the family to Phoenix, Arizona.

While I don't normally give much credence to the historical accuracy of TV shows, it seems more likely that my ancestor split town because he was threatened than because Deadwood got too heavily populated.

So, the top 100 TV show list isn't only entertaining, its also educational!

Wow that's crazy! I'm glad you shared that with us, your family has an a awesome history.

Merry Christmas Everyone!!

It's time for:

#30 House MD - 232 Points
lokFw7K.jpg
IMDB Rating:
NBp6N3X.png
Aired:  2004-2012 (Fox)
Episodes: 177
Genre: Drama
List Trivia: House MD is the seventh highest ranked Fox show. Fox has a lot of representation in the Top 30! Only 4 of the 12 shows from Fox in the Top 100 are below #31.
Storyline: An antisocial maverick doctor who specializes in diagnostic medicine does whatever it takes to solve puzzling cases that come his way using his crack team of doctors and his wits.
Show quote:
Dr. Gregory House: A unicorn isn't a unicorn, it's a donkey with a plunger stuck to its face.

Episode Ratings:
2KKWT9K.png

Opening Theme:

tumblr_inline_mj97q3CgiT1r80p9c.gif

• Like 9

#29 Parks and Recreation - 239 Points

0nYecn7.jpg
IMDB Rating:
QCMFSMz.png
Aired:  2009-ongoing (NBC)
Episodes: 112
Genre: Comedy
List Trivia: Parks and Recreation has the lowest average score in the Top 30, with 21.7. In fact, it's actually the lowest since Pokemon at #47. This means a lot of people gave it votes, but not at especially high positions.
Storyline: The absurd antics of an Indiana town's public officials as they pursue sundry projects to make their city a better place.
Show quote:
Andy: If you do collapse, I know first aid, er karate. 
Leslie: That’s not first aid.
Andy: It is if you do it right! Heimlich! 

Episode Ratings:
P4FuRq1.png

Opening Theme:

tPUG2GH.gif

• Like 10

#28 Cheers (-11 ranks) - 243 Points

JByq5lN.jpg
IMDB Rating:
dlSCk1Q.png
Aired:  1982-1993 (NBC)
Episodes: 270
List Trivia: Cheers drops 11 ranks from the previous year's list, once again the smallest drop so far. It has the highest number of episodes for any live-action sitcom in the Top 100. It's also the fifth oldest comedy on the list. 
Storyline: The regulars of the Boston bar Cheers share their experiences and lives with each other while drinking or working at the bar where everybody knows your name.
Show quote:
Cliff: Well ya see, Norm, it's like this. A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it is the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members. In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Excessive intake of alcohol, as we know, kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine. That's why you always feel smarter after a few beers.

Episode Ratings:
76ZPBrH.png

Opening Theme:

6XTKICE.gif

Edited by iceroll
  • Like 7

#27 The Twilight Zone (-14 ranks- 249 Points

geDo3IL.jpg
IMDB Rating:
55r3BRD.png
Aired:  1959-1964 (CBS)
Episodes: 156
List Trivia: The Twilight Zone is the second oldest TV show in the Top 100, after I Love Lucy. It also drops 14 ranks from the previous year's list.
Storyline: Rod Serling's seminal anthology series focused on ordinary folks who suddenly found themselves in extraordinary, usually supernatural, situations. The stories would typically end with an ironic twist that would see the guilty punished.
Show quote:
Narrator: In the parlance of the twentieth century, this is an oddball. His name is James B.W. Bevis, and his tastes lean toward stuffed animals, zither music, professional football, Charles Dickens, moose heads, carnivals, dogs, children, and young ladies. Mr. Bevis is accident prone, a little vague, a little discombobulated, with a life that possesses all the security of a floating crap game. But this can be said of our Mr. Bevis: without him, without his warmth, without his kindness, the world would be a considerably poorer place, albeit perhaps a little saner.

Episode Ratings:
xfvPXyc.png
(Pretty random distribution)

Opening Theme:

giphy.gif

• Like 9

#26 Freaks and Geeks - 249 Points

vZodztd.jpg
IMDB Rating:
6CyKm1p.png
Aired:  1999-2000 (NBC)
Episodes: 18
List Trivia: Excluding V: The Miniseries, Freaks and Geeks has the fewest episodes out of any of the 21 NBC shows in the Top 100.
Storyline: A television show about two unique groups of teenagers dealing with life in high school during the 80's.
Show quote:
Neal: Wait a minute. If I think I’m cool then people will think I’m cool too? But I already think I’m cool. But nobody else does.
Episode Ratings:
1011Brl.png

Opening Theme:

LXJQ6fP.gif

• Like 5

#25 Battlestar Galactica - 259 Points

oXUO8v2.jpg
IMDB Rating:
FPZSRon.png
Aired:  2004-2009 (Sci-Fi)
Episodes: 75
List Trivia: Battlestar Galactica received one #1 ranking and one #2 ranking. It's the only Sci-Fi channel original show in the Top 100.
Storyline: When an old enemy, the Cylons, resurfaces and obliterate the 12 colonies, the crew of the aged Galactica protects a small civilian fleet - the last of humanity - as they journey toward the fabled 13th colony of Earth.
Show quote:
Commander William Adama: There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people.
Episode Ratings:
AftELtU.png

Opening Theme:

http://youtu.be/Zu0FMaEneO0

tumblr_lorr6kpOVe1qa7slt.gif

• Like 8

#24 Dexter - 260 Points

nuWETlh.jpg
IMDB Rating:
wxzS9oS.png
Aired:  2006-2013 (Showtime)
Episodes: 96
List Trivia: Dexter is the only Showtime original TV show in the Top 100. It's also the 6th highest ranking TV show that did not appear on the previous year's list.
Storyline: A Miami police forensics expert moonlights as a serial killer of criminals whom he believes have escaped justice.
Show quote:
Dexter Morgan: I've lived in darkness a long time. Over the years my eyes adjusted, until the dark became my world and I could see.
Episode Ratings:
Z3CuPE4.png
(I think this might be my favorite ratings chart yet, the trends are so clear!)

Opening Theme:

81tmaWu.gif

• Like 6

#23 Six Feet Under - 282 Points

w4mBvOY.jpg
IMDB Rating:
LMknox8.png
Aired:  2001-2005 (HBO)
List Trivia: Another Michael C. Hall show, Six Feet Under ranks right above Dexter, making the biggest point jump so far long the way as well with a 22 point boost. Six Feet Under is the fourth highest ranked HBO show. It has the second most number of episodes out of the eight HBO shows in the Top 100.
Storyline: A drama series that takes a darkly comical look at members of a dysfunctional California family that runs an independent funeral home.
Show quote:
Claire: Oh, I wanna take a picture of everyone.
Nate: You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone.
BOT User Quote:
Six Feet Under is probably the deepest and most depressing show I've ever watched. Like Grave of the Fireflies, I think it's one of those shows you have to watch once because it changes your perspective on life and death, and makes you a different person, but it's not something I'm very eager to revisit. Michael C. Hall's portrayal of David Fisher is also one of the first multi-dimensional gay characters on TV during a time when gay characters weren't exactly "hip" to have like they are now. I think his personal journey and transformation is one of the most impressive ones I've seen in television.

Plus the friggin' finale! Every time I hear Sia's "Breathe Me" I want to cry because the ending was so sad and beautiful. Here it is: 
-Iceroll
Episode Ratings:
lIQN95P.png
(Kind of like the exact opposite of Dexter)

Opening Theme:

http://youtu.be/w5JkGY1qC8Y

8IZWDIa.gif

Edited by iceroll
  • Like 6

#25 Battlestar Galactica - 259 Points

oXUO8v2.jpg
IMDB Rating:
FPZSRon.png
Aired:  2004-2009 (Sci-Fi)
Episodes: 75
List Trivia: Battlestar Galactica received one #1 ranking and one #2 ranking. It's the only Sci-Fi channel original show in the Top 100.
Storyline: When an old enemy, the Cylons, resurfaces and obliterate the 12 colonies, the crew of the aged Galactica protects a small civilian fleet - the last of humanity - as they journey toward the fabled 13th colony of Earth.
Show quote:
Commander William Adama: There's a reason you separate military and the police. One fights the enemies of the state, the other serves and protects the people. When the military becomes both, then the enemies of the state tend to become the people.
Episode Ratings:
AftELtU.png

Opening Theme:

http://youtu.be/Zu0FMaEneO0

tumblr_lorr6kpOVe1qa7slt.gif

Battlestar Galactica is such an amazing show! and it actually ended strong!

• Like 1

#23 Six Feet Under - 282 Points

w4mBvOY.jpg
IMDB Rating:
LMknox8.png
Aired:  2001-2005 (HBO)
List Trivia: Another Michael C. Hall show, Six Feet Under ranks right above Dexter, making the biggest point jump so far long the way as well with a 22 point boost. Six Feet Under is the fourth highest ranked HBO show. It has the second most number of episodes out of the eight HBO shows in the Top 100.
Storyline: A drama series that takes a darkly comical look at members of a dysfunctional California family that runs an independent funeral home.
Show quote:
Claire: Oh, I wanna take a picture of everyone.
Nate: You can't take a picture of this. It's already gone.
BOT User Quote:
Six Feet Under is probably the deepest and most depressing show I've ever watched. Like Grave of the Fireflies, I think it's one of those shows you have to watch once because it changes your perspective on life and death, and makes you a different person, but it's not something I'm very eager to revisit. Michael C. Hall's portrayal of David Fisher is also one of the first multi-dimensional gay characters on TV during a time when gay characters weren't exactly "hip" to have like they are now. I think his personal journey and transformation is one of the most impressive ones I've seen in television.

Plus the friggin' finale! Every time I hear Sia's "Breathe Me" I want to cry because the ending was so sad and beautiful. Here it is: 
-Iceroll
Episode Ratings:
lIQN95P.png
(Kind of like the exact opposite of Dexter)

Opening Theme:

http://youtu.be/w5JkGY1qC8Y

8IZWDIa.gif

Should be number 1

• Like 1

#22 Twin Peaks - 288 Points

3WWJoIV.jpg
IMDB Rating:
LMknox8.png
Aired:  1990-1991 (ABC)
Episodes: 30
List Trivia: After many complaints of Twin Peaks not making it into last year's list, this year it makes a very strong entry at #22. It scores a whopping four #2 placements, and also ranks second among all ABC shows.
Storyline: An idiosyncratic FBI agent investigates the murder of a young woman in the even more idiosyncratic town of Twin Peaks.
Show quote:
Dale Cooper: Harry, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. Every day, once a day, give yourself a present. Don't plan it. Don't wait for it. Just let it happen. It could be a new shirt at the men's store, a catnap in your office chair, or two cups of good, hot black coffee.

Episode Ratings:
Ig3Q0yi.png

Opening Theme:

tumblr_inline_n2ouwdfgOV1rbrja2.gif

• Like 8