grim22

BOF's top 25 movies of 2014. Full list Page 5. The forum worships at the altar of Nolan.

Number 9:

Guardians of the Galaxy – 174 points, appears on 24 lists, #1 on 2 lists

cLrhNzV.png

KmaB0S1.png

The second movie from the MCU to make this list. This movie about a ragtag bunch of individuals teaming together to save the world really struck a chord with audiences. It elevated Chris Pratt from a comedy sidekick to a leading man and made “I am Groot” a catchphrase. The movie spent quite some time as the surprise #1 of 2014 as well until Mockingjay overtook it. All in all, a good time at the movies.

Boxoffice: 333M Domestic / 774M Worldwide

BOF User Reviews:

This is favorite marvel CBM to date, a truly delightful film from beginning to end with wit, humor and action aplenty. My expectations for this was pretty low going in, the trailer leading me to believe that this would be just another mindless comic relief film. On this occasion I can gladly say I was 100% wrong! The humor is just the fabric of the movie that is carefully woven throughout the film hitting you when you least expect it. The dance especially, performed by Peter Quill to distract ronan near the film's climax had me and everyone at my viewing rolling around laughing  

The music too was truly an "awesome mix". I didn't recognize any of the songs but they set the mood of the film right from the start. Scenes that could have been heavy and serious was instead fun and light which I believe is the main goal of the film.

There were a number of surprisingly heartfelt moments too, mostly involving groot. The scene where he uses small flower lights(?) to lighten the room was pretty special and also when he sacrifices himself to save his friends was another tender moment.

Marvel truly are at the top of their game at the moment, can't wait to see what they do with the sequel  

Rating: a solid A. an enjoyable summer blockbuster that will have you laughing and leave you with a warm fuzzy feeling at the end.” –  Rsyu

I enjoyed this movie very much. It was a lot of fun, it was colorful. The Guardians themselves, although they did not have much flashy powers, managed to carry the action well, and they had excellent chemistry with each other that elevates their individual performances even more. There is an okay balance of humor and seriousness, although I do think the humor was unnecessary and came across as "trying hard to be funny" at certain parts, as was some of the old school music. The storyline was pretty predictable to be honest, but that didn't really hurt the film since it has a lot of other good points.

The visual effects were out of this world ;) good, especially when looking at the budget that they had for this movie, although I wish we could have seen the worlds fleshed out more, instead of visiting only a small area and then heading to the next.

Overall, a really good and enjoyable movie.” – Sky

• Like 13

Number 8:

Birdman – 187 points, appears on 22 lists, #1 on 3 lists

GoTIRbc.png

7FXB1Sz.png

One of the movies I haven’t actually watched yet. No views on it one way or the other.

birdman.jpg?itok=I86DjdbQ

Boxoffice: 32M Domestic / 51M Worldwide

BOF User Reviews:

An incredibly well-made film. The dialogue is fantastic. I love that the whole film except very end and beginning are all one single long shot. it does a great job of turning Hollywood on its head. My only objection is that the film is a bit pretentious at times, and I think for some people this film will be very inaccessible. Although, I think some will fall in love with this film. I honestly feel like this is best picture material here and better than most of the stuff that was won in past years. One thing I am certain of, Michael Keaton gives an amazing, amazing performance and the Oscar is his to lose this year.

If you are a fan of cinema, then this is a must-see film.” –  CloneWars

A fascinating study of mental illness. This movie takes us further down the rabbit hole with each consecutive minute of action, getting us to hate and love and pity and sneer at and revere Riggan at every turn. The narrative is truly from his fucked-up perspective, and it couldn't have engrossed me more.” – Gopher

Best superhero movie in a long time” – Snoopy of Suburbia

• Like 12

Number 8:

Birdman – 187 points, appears on 22 lists, #1 on 3 lists

GoTIRbc.png

7FXB1Sz.png

http://youtu.be/uJfLoE6hanc

One of the movies I haven’t actually watched yet. No views on it one way or the other.

birdman.jpg?itok=I86DjdbQ

Boxoffice: 32M Domestic / 51M Worldwide

BOF User Reviews:

An incredibly well-made film. The dialogue is fantastic. I love that the whole film except very end and beginning are all one single long shot. it does a great job of turning Hollywood on its head. My only objection is that the film is a bit pretentious at times, and I think for some people this film will be very inaccessible. Although, I think some will fall in love with this film. I honestly feel like this is best picture material here and better than most of the stuff that was won in past years. One thing I am certain of, Michael Keaton gives an amazing, amazing performance and the Oscar is his to lose this year.

If you are a fan of cinema, then this is a must-see film.” –  CloneWars

A fascinating study of mental illness. This movie takes us further down the rabbit hole with each consecutive minute of action, getting us to hate and love and pity and sneer at and revere Riggan at every turn. The narrative is truly from his fucked-up perspective, and it couldn't have engrossed me more.” – Gopher

Best superhero movie in a long time” – Snoopy of Suburbia

Superheroes movies are C.G.

if-oscar-nominated-movie-posters-told-th

Seriously, did you get it ?

Edited by The Futurist

Number 7

Gone Girl – 188 points, appears on 28 lists

owo6SmV.png

LTXPayJ.png

This movie. Just this movie. It is screwed up in all the right ways, and still leaves you with a feeling of unease walking out of the theater. Gillian Flynn adapts her book perfectly and Fincher goes full Hitchcock on us (well, at least until he makes his Hitchcock remake next year). Affleck, Carrie Coon, Tyler Perry all deliver good performances, but Rosamund Pike steals the movie from everyone. In Amazing Amy, we have actually seen one of the best on-screen villains ever. The image of her covered in NPH’s blood is an awesome visual which will probably be considered iconic some day.

This movie made the top 10 despite not being #1 on any single list, it was however widely supported by most people.

Boxoffice: 167M Domestic / 367M Worldwide

BOF User Reviews:

Probably my favourite movie of the year thus far. Stellar direction and atmosphere.

Ben Affleck is really, really good... with Pyke being phenomenal and the supporting roles such as Neil Patrick Harris manage to create very iconic characters.

But it is the direction which is the real star here... and not in the sense of feeling "oh, good directing" while watching the movie - it is far too captivating for that. But afterwards you realize how well done it was without having an "in-your-face" approach.  

A” –  ShouldIBeHere

Man, what a great movie. Dark, cynical, savage, and funny. Great job by the cast, with special kudos to Affleck and Pike, fantastic script (and story) by Gillian Flynn, and wonderfully directed by Fincher. Speaking of which, GG wraps up Fincher's brilliant trilogy of the darkness lurking under the surface of Americana: FIGHT CLUB, SOCIAL NETWORK, and now GG.

First rate on all levels.  A” – Telemachos

Fincher fucking nails it again. So does Pike, amazing performance. Affleck is great too.  

A all the way.” – Breakspear

• Like 14

Ugh, Transcendence didn't even make the top? I think I had it on no 4. My Top 10 :P :

1. The Hobbit 3

2. Interstellar

3. Gone Girl

4. Transcendence

5. Transformers 4

6. The Maze Runner

7. Lucy

8. This Is Where I Leave You

9. Dracula Untold

10. I, Frankenstein

Edited by James

Ugh, Transcendence didn't even make the top? I think I had it on no 4. My Top 10 :P :

1. The Hobbit 3

2. Interstellar

3. Gone Girl

4. Transcendence

5. Transformers 4

6. The Maze Runner

7. Lucy

8. This Is Where I Leave You

9. Dracula Untold

10. I, Frankenstein

Oh, James...

• Like 3