Ethan Hunt

top 50 films for the half decade; Kalo's list begins! (pg. 45)

This guy is a genius, have you seen the camera trick at around 2 minutes where the camera man IS the car seat ???

And when the car looses control and almost bumps into the camera crew by an inch ...

Cray, cray ...

Evans wouldn't find an insurance company to work with him on US soil to pull off shit like that.

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 2

#37: The Raid (2012)

written and directed by Gareth Evans

The_Raid_Poster_Final.jpg

This is the movie that put Evans’ name on the map, a stripped-down minimalist action movie that dispenses almost entirely with concepts like “back story” or “character arc”. It’s essentially one giant action sequence, with occasional ebb and flow. Iko Uwais is a rookie cop on an assault squad sent to take out a local drug lord. The kingpin lives in the penthouse of an apartment building entirely under his control, and the cops basically have to fight their way up to the top in order to get him. (And then, of course, they have to get back down as well).

• Like 7

I really don't get why people love The Raid. It's boring, mindless violence. I didn't care about any of the characters, there didn't appear to be any real sort of plot to speak of, and nothing interesting happened at any point. Throughout almost every fight sequence, I was paying more attention to the numbers on the hallway doors, or the patterns on the carpet, than to the fighting. I was bored out of my mind.

I'm not sure how much of the stunts was CGI or real, but I also don't care. I guess if you are really keen on the genre then the film is maybe impressive, but it still lacks any emotion or depth, and personally, I think it's just a waste of time.

Edited by tree jumped out a window
  • Like 1

I really don't get why people love The Raid. It's boring, mindless violence. I didn't care about any of the characters, there didn't appear to be any real sort of plot to speak of, and nothing interesting happened at any point. Throughout almost every fight sequence, I was paying more attention to the numbers on the hallway doors, or the patterns on the carpet, than to the fighting. I was bored out of my mind.

I'm not sure how much of the stunts was CGI or real, but I also don't care. I guess if you are really keen on the genre then the film is maybe impressive, but it still lacks any emotion or depth, and personally, I think it's just a waste of time.

Boring? Mindless violence I can understand, but boring? Do you just not like action? I don't see how anyone can find the action in the Raid boring unless they have a screw loose.

Also, the Raid may not have depth but that's because doesn't need any. It's an unapologetic genre film designed to show off the amazing action choreography. And it does so fantastically. The plot may be simple, but it does exactly what it needs to and doesn't need anything more. And it's paced to perfection.

Also, I object to the idea it doesn't have any emotion. It may not have characters talking about their feelings, but near every action scene is packed with the sheer blood, sweat and tears the characters are going through.

Edited by Rukaio Alter
  • Like 1

Boring? Mindless violence I can understand, but boring? Do you just not like action? I don't see how anyone can find the action in the Raid boring unless they have a screw loose.

Also, the Raid may not have depth but that's because doesn't need any. It's an unapologetic genre film designed to show off the amazing action choreography. And it does so fantastically. The plot may be simple, but it does exactly what it needs to and doesn't need anything more. And it's paced to perfection.

Also, I object to the idea it doesn't have any emotion. It may not have characters talking about their feelings, but near every action scene is packed with the sheer blood, sweat and tears the characters are going through.

No, I don't like action. This is just pure action, and it's mind-numbingly boring for me. I was virtually falling asleep it's so dull. Nothing happens in it.

Edited by tree jumped out a window
  • Like 1

#45: The Fighter (2010)

written by: Scott Silver, Paul Tamasy & Eric Johnson

directed by: David O. Russell

A sports drama about a Boston boxer and his efforts to win a world title. This is a fun, entertaining romp, anchored by great acting across the board. Wahlberg stars as Micky Ward and is his usual appealing self; Amy Adams is wonderful as his stalwart girlfriend, and Bale, in particular, is a standout as Wahlberg’s brother.

Hmm, I thought you weren't a big DOR fan?

• Like 1

TDKR and the Drop?

Losing credibility quickly as the medium between the forum and lisa.  :ph34r:

TDKR doesn't get enough credit. People like to dismiss it because it's "got too many plot holes" and "bane sounds stupid" and "it's too long" and "the ending is rubbish". They're just annoyed that there wasn't another Joker movie.

As for The Drop, I haven't seen it but I know lots of people think it's really good, and it's a Tom Hardy movie so it probably is.

• Like 2

No, I don't like action. This is just pure action, and it's mind-numbingly boring for me. I was virtually falling asleep it's so dull. Nothing happens in it.

oh my I may not like it then, not a fan of most straight up action films either.

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 2

#36: Snowpiercer (2014)

written by: Joon-ho Bong, Kelly Masterson

directed by: Joon-ho Bong

snowpiercer_ver20.jpg

This kinda came out of nowhere and became almost too overhyped on the internet, but at the end of the day it’s still a quirky cool dystopian science-fiction story, with heavy and obvious metaphors towards the classism of today. And, to make it a bit more awesome, it’s a train movie. It stays mostly within the classic tropes of your typical post-apocalyptic future saga, but there’s enough twists and wrinkles to keep it interesting. Lots of gritty bleak fun.

• Like 8

#35: Argo (2012)

written by: Chris Terrio

directed by: Ben Affleck

argo-8.jpg

A classic throwback to the sorts of movies they used to make all the time: a smart, tense thriller aimed squarely at adults, based on real-life events but with a little extra Hollywood action to ramp everything up to 11. Very entertaining.

• Like 9

#34: Drive (2011)

written by: Hossein Amini

directed by: Nicholas Winding Refn

drive_ver5_xlg-620x918.jpg

Lush, stylish, and a total throwback to the 80s. Old-school minimalism with old-school action. Ryan Gosling is a movie stunt driver by day, a getaway driver by night. He falls for Carey Mulligan and her kid and gets sucked into a heist that goes terribly awry.

• Like 6

#33: War Horse (2012)

written by: Lee Hall, Richard Curtis

directed by: Steven Spielberg

War-horse-poster.jpg

Another unabashedly old-fashioned and un-ironic movie. Simple, broad, aimed at telling a universal story for all audiences — very much in the reign of much older classics from Ford, Lean, or Sturges. Some of those traits are out of style now, and the film feels like something shot in the 40s or 50s with today’s technology. But Spielberg hasn’t lost his touch, and there’s much to wonder and admire here, albeit in a story that rambles and meanders much like the horse himself.

• Like 7