Mockingjay Raphael

Weekend Numbers (Jan 2-4)

sorry but I feel that considering this is the final movie of all of Middle Earth and they kept hammering that fact in, this performance just is not that good. Not to mention being the only big FX movie of the month

Looking forward to seeing this same post every day.

Edited by kayumanggi
  • Like 5

sorry but I feel that considering this is the final movie of all of Middle Earth and they kept hammering that fact in, this performance just is not that good. Not to mention being the only big FX movie of the month

This movie is not ROTK that had amazing critical acclaim and big hype. The fact that this is increasing from the second which dropped almost 50 M from the first is already a good thing. And no, it's probably the biggest fx movie of December, but it is competing with NATM III, ANNIE and ITW for the family auds. These three films will make at least 300 M combined.

• Like 2

This is what happens when most people have been mixed on your new trilogy. Any other trilogy of comparable quality outside of Star Wars probably wouldn't get away with it. We know Spider-Man isn't. BOTFA has been working against a pattern of ambivalence from audiences. It's doing fine. The movie also wasn't supposed to exist, so there's that too.

Edited by MrPink
  • Like 3

So after reading the last several posts I think it's safe to say the general consensus is the last act of Into the Woods is lackluster.

I don't understand people's problem with the last act of ITW. In the Broadway show it absolutely makes the play, turning it from a fun fairy tale romp to a very meaningful allegory. The movie didn't fully capture it as well as it should have (it glossed over some of the darker parts and even skipped a few to get the pg rating), but it was still fairly emotional and got the main points across.

Into the Woods is not Into the Woods without the decent into darkness, and it really seems like a lot of people who just saw the movie completely missed the point of that act and thus the show. The act is properly foreshadowed and although I still think it should have a had a stronger punch (which wasn't possible with a pg rating), it's the part of the movie that actually makes it mean something and it turns the fairy tale characters into real people.

I also think they executed that last number very well, it was truthful, broken, yet also hopeful.

Edited by The Panda
  • Like 6

Happy to see Mockingjay Part 1 potentially getting the #1 highest-grossing movie of 2014. Also interested to see how well-received American Sniper is. Who knows what'll happen on MLK weekend? And let me also say that I am very satisfied with Hobbit 3's #s. Regardless of your opinion, potentially earning $270M+ along with even more worldwide is a good number. What, it not being the biggest smash hit is suddenly wrong? Expecting it to be on the same level as Return of the King or even Fellowship set your hopes up way too high already. But that's just me. :)

I don't understand people's problem with the last act of ITW. In the Broadway show it absolutely makes the play, turning it from a fun fairy tale romp to a very meaningful allegory. The movie didn't fully capture it as well as it should have (it glossed over some of the darker parts and even skipped a few to get the pg rating), but it was still fairly emotional and got the main points across.

Into the Woods is not Into the Woods without the decent into darkness, and it really seems like a lot of people who just saw the movie completely missed the point of that act and thus the show. The act is properly foreshadowed and although I still think it should have a had a stronger punch (which wasn't possible with a pg rating), it's the part of the movie that actually makes it mean something and it turns the fairy tale characters into real people.

I also think they executed that last number very well, it was truthful, broken, yet also hopeful.

The end should have been done way better. The direction sucked to be honest, the rating probably didn't help. I didn't realize that

Jacks mother and the bakers wife were dead

until the dialog mentioned it. Also, couldn't the witch just

bring people back to life

I think the main reason people are having an issue with the last act may be that we have seen so many better fairy tale deconstructions in the past decade.

The end should have been done way better. The direction sucked to be honest, the rating probably didn't help. I didn't realize that

I think the main reason people are having an issue with the last act may be that we have seen so many better fairy tale deconstructions in the past decade.

The last act does have some questionable choices, because there are a few details that are cut out.

For instance,

the two princes have affairs with Snow White and Sleeping Beauty (neither shown) and have a reprise of Agony, which is a lot of fun. This sets up some of the stuff with the Baker's Wife. In the play she and Charming actually do the dirty. But I don't think that's really a change for the worse. Blunt sells the emotion that's necessary.

More importantly, though

The giantess kills Rapunzel in the play. This sets up what happens with the witch much better. She is devastated by the loss and essentially just gives up. I'm not entirely sure why they decided to change this part. Because the giving up is shown, but it doesn't entirely make sense why.

The play also has a few more things that make it apparent they're playing with the tropes of the genre. There's an actual narrator character (who technically also plays the wolf). At one point the cast gets angry at the way he's telling the story and accosts him.

Edited by DamienRoc
  • Like 1

Marshall's direction did suck, but ITW in its original story is one of the best fairy tale deconstructions out there.

The witch also lost her magic when she became beautiful, it's only when she snapped and started discarding the new beans that she gets some of it back but she promptly dies after that.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 2

The play also has a few more things that make it apparent they're playing with the tropes of the genre. There's an actual narrator character (who technically also plays the wolf). At one point the cast gets angry at the way he's telling the story and accosts him.

Does the Narrator play the Wolf in some versions?  I've only seen it done where Cinderella's Prince Charming plays the Wolf which give another layer to all his other actions.

From the complaints about how dark the end gets I'm really surprised they cut The Agony Reprise which gives some humor as well as when they get annoyed at The Narrator

and toss him to the The Giantess.

.  Changing Rapunzel's

fate also really does undermine the Witch's end storyline.

• Like 1

Marshall's direction did suck, but ITW in its original story is one of the best fairy tale deconstructions out there.

The witch also lost her magic when she became beautiful, it's only when she snapped and started discarding the new beans that she gets some of it back but she promptly dies after that.

Shouldn't this be a spoiler?

Edited by Telemachos

I was in the floppit bandwaggon but there s no other way to slice it, the Hobbit trilogy wil be a great financial success for all involved even if it failed to reach the heights of the first trilogy.

Middle Earth remains a strong brand and I am not sill convinced that it was the last Middle Earth movie when you know how Hollywood works in 2015.

• Like 1

a movie can make lots of money but still be somewhat disappointing in their performances.

The Battle of the Five Armies performance isn't disappointing. The most optimistic of us said 295-305M and it probably won't quite get there but it's still much better than the lower end of what some people thought would happen. It's right in the middle of expectations.

Does the Narrator play the Wolf in some versions?  I've only seen it done where Cinderella's Prince Charming plays the Wolf which give another layer to all his other actions.

Oh, wait. I think you're right about that.

I think the narrator does play someone else, though.

• Like 2

Another ITW question

What happened to Milky White? Maybe she died a second time when I went to the bathroom? Otherwise it was weird that she just disappeared from the story after they built her up as Jack's best friend.

• Like 1