Fancyarcher

American Made | 9/29/2017

http://deadline.com/2015/01/tom-cruise-doug-liman-mena-universal-1201350391/

Really liked Edge of Tomorrow and seeing Cruise and Liman reunite would be nice, plus it's been forever since Cruise has done a drama, or any movie that has Oscar potential.

Course Cruise would need to gain weight for the role, but if the film happens and he's still a part of it, I'm sure he will.

• Like 1

Looks like a great story for Cruise, lots of potential for dramatic scenes and even though there's probably going to be some action and gunfire scenes, he won't be the one doing the killing. It will be a welcome change if it happens.

About the appearance, I read Barry Seal's bio and saw his picture, I really can't see Cruise putting on that weight or shaving his hairline. When was the last time he did anything so drastic, unless you count the les grossman cameo. Cruise doesn't really take risks with his appearance anymore. I can't see a Born on the fourth of July style transformation.

Looks like a great story for Cruise, lots of potential for dramatic scenes and even though there's probably going to be some action and gunfire scenes, he won't be the one doing the killing. It will be a welcome change if it happens.

About the appearance, I read Barry Seal's bio and saw his picture, I really can't see Cruise putting on that weight or shaving his hairline. When was the last time he did anything so drastic, unless you count the les grossman cameo. Cruise doesn't really take risks with his appearance anymore. I can't see a Born on the fourth of July style transformation.

Well he could. It's not out of the realm of possibility, after all Cruise might want an Oscar. 

Well he could. It's not out of the realm of possibility, after all Cruise might want an Oscar.

Yeah, but I dont think he is actively attempting to get one and he doesnt take the same risks as in the 90s or 80s. He's all about the entertainment value, which is fine, I'm a big fan of his movies.

If this movie happens I think he'll look pretty similar to Jack Reacher.

Edited by RaidensSword

Yeah, but I dont think he is actively attempting to get one and he doesnt take the same risks as in the 90s or 80s. He's all about the entertainment value, which is fine, I'm a big fan of his movies.

If this movie happens I think he'll look pretty similar to Jack Reacher.

Maybe, will see. Would be nice if Tom Cruise actually took a risk this time with the role (that is if he actually does it). 

Nice find. Good to see hes moving forward with this. Regarding this quote from the article

Cruise donned fatsuit to play eccentric studio executive Len Grossman in 2008 comedy Tropic Thunder, but is not otherwise known for taking roles that require a dramatic weight gain. The transformation is the kind of sacrifice Oscars voters tend to reward, and the three-times-nominated actor might have one eye on his first Academy Award win. On the other hand, Seal has been played before onscreen as a normally proportioned man, notably by Dennis Hopper, in the 1991 HBO docudrama Double Crossed.

I think he'll go the same route as Hopper. Weight gain or not, I would like to see Cruise get Oscar nominated again though so I'm hoping for a great movie and even better performance from Cruise. Let's remind people of those Rain Man and Fourth of July days.

• Like 2

Is this actually going to be a proper drama? If the guy was a "gun runner, drug trafficker for the CIA, shot to death" then that kind of sounds like it could turn into an action flick. I probably don't know enough but I'd like him to do a proper dramatic role again soon, it's been like 7 years.

Is this actually going to be a proper drama? If the guy was a "gun runner, drug trafficker for the CIA, shot to death" then that kind of sounds like it could turn into an action flick. I probably don't know enough but I'd like him to do a proper dramatic role again soon, it's been like 7 years.

From the admittedly small amount I've read, Cruise's character seems to be more stuck in the middle of all the gun fights or possible actiom scenes. I dont think they can turn into a Scarface type character thats at the heart of the action scenes.

But it's the movies and considering Cruise's recent history I wouldn't rule out them taking some artistic license. Hopefully it's more of a drama though, like you say, it's been too long.

At last, Cruise in a non-action role. I think he has enough of action-adventure type of roles.

Remember ,he is in The Color of Money, Rain Man, A Few Good Men, Jerry Maguire, The Firm

and Risky Business. A fantastic resume for an actor.