CoolioD1

87TH ACADEMY AWARDS CEREMONY DISCUSSION THREAD AAAHHH! | Discuss It Live Here

- a chunk of it wasn't animated

- it's basically a mashup of superhero and action hero tropes, none of which have major appeal to the Academy

I don't really see why the voters would have an issue with the live-action part, especially since it added to the movie.

And superhero/action stuff? Big Hero 6 was nominated.

(Not to mention, Lego Movie is much more than just a parody of those things. It's a heartfelt tribute to the toy - have none of the voters had Lego when they were younger? Had kids who love Lego? It's ridiculous.)

• Like 1

I feel like Selma was really a victim of a botched plan by Paramount. They should've ditched Interstellar, which they were mistaken if they thought it would be another Gravity, as their main contender much sooner than they did.

Or maybe it was in the contract to give Interstellar a big Oscar Push. 

• Like 1

I don't really see why the voters would have an issue with the live-action part, especially since it added to the movie.

And superhero/action stuff? Big Hero 6 was nominated.

(Not to mention, Lego Movie is much more than just a parody of those things. It's a heartfelt tribute to the toy - have none of the voters had Lego when they were younger? Had kids who love Lego? It's ridiculous.)

1) WDAS, which is riding a very strong streak at the moment.

2) Despite the superhero stuff, BH6 is very clearly about Other Things, and its construction really underlies that.

3) While LEGO have been around forever, a good chunk of the Academy probably does predate playing with them to a huge degree.

Edited by DamienRoc
  • Like 1

no Gone Girl best pic nom? wtf?! and Lego Movie Snumbed? even I who think it was a little overrated think it needed to get a nomination. at least that means HTTYD 2 is almost a shoo in to win now. Happy for the American Sniper love though, and Bradley Cooper nom. 

not gonna lie, was kind of hoping GotG, CA2, X-men or Dawn would get nominated for BP though...

a4py8p.gif

• Like 1

2) Despite the superhero stuff, BH6 is very clearly about Other Things, and its construction really underlies that.

3) While LEGO have been around forever, a good chunk of the Academy probably does predate playing with them to a huge degree.

Your bias is showing.

398422179.jpg

• Like 3

I see a lot of you have been trying to goad into getting mad and arguing with you about LEGO. You know what though? I'm happy. Now LEGO Movie is in the same league as Do the Right Thing and other movies outrageously not nominated for their highest honor. I'm fine with that.

Moreover, this whole awards season is now a wash, so I honestly don't have to care about any of this anymore. Rooting for American Sniper, Theory of Everything, and The Judge to win all they're nominated for. They definitely deserve it; they're Oscar nominated films, must be deserving. 

My hopes are officially in categories I care about:

Best Picture: American Sniper

Best Director: Morten Tyldum, "The Imitation Game"
Best Actor: Bradley Cooper, "American Sniper"
Best Supporting Actor: Robert Duvall, "The Judge"
Best Supporting Actress: Meryl Streep, "Into the Woods"
Best Adapted Screenplay: "American Sniper" (Jason Hall)
Best Cinematography: "Unbroken" (Roger Deakins)
Best Costume Design: "Maleficent" (Anna B. Sheppard)
Best Film Editing: "American Sniper" (Joel Cox, Gary Roach)
Best Makeup and Hairstyling: "Guardians of the Galaxy"
Best Music (Original Score): "Mr. Turner" (Gary Yershon)
Best Music (Original Song): "I'm Not Gonna Miss You" from "Glen Campbell: I'll Be Me"
Best Production Design: "The Imitation Game" (Maria Djurkovic; Tatiana Macdonald)
Best Sound Editing: "Unbroken"
Best Sound Mixing: "Unbroken"
Best Animated Feature Film: "The Boxtrolls"

Academy, I believe in you to make the most Academy-esque choice possible, and I hope the Oscars this year are entertaining because let's be honest, that's all they'll be good for :)

Bullshit.

#2, The LEGO Movie was also about "other things" as well. And unlike Big Hero 6, it's action and superhero tropes weren't central to the plot

#3, just because you haven't played with LEGOs doesn't mean you can't like The LEGO Movie. I didn't play with LEGOs at all when I was younger (though my younger brother did enjoy playing with them). The Academy didn't nominate The LEGO Movie because a consensus vote decided that the other 5 nominees were better movies, not because they didn't "relate" to it.

Personally, myself, I haven't read a Big Hero 6 comic in my life, nor a HTTYD book.

I see a lot of you have been trying to goad into getting mad and arguing with you about LEGO. You know what though? I'm happy. Now LEGO Movie is in the same league as Do the Right Thing and other movies outrageously not nominated for their highest honor. I'm fine with that.

Moreover, this whole awards season is now a wash, so I honestly don't have to care about any of this anymore. Rooting for American Sniper, Theory of Everything, and The Judge to win all they're nominated for. They definitely deserve it; they're Oscar nominated films, must be deserving. 

Best Music (Original Song): "I'm Not Gonna Miss You" from "Glen Campbell: I'll Be Me"
Best Production Design: "The Imitation Game" (Maria Djurkovic; Tatiana Macdonald)

Academy, I believe in you to make the most Academy-esque choice possible, and I hope the Oscars this year are entertaining because let's be honest, that's all they'll be good for :)

You got that part right.

Looking at your hopes in the different categories, I think it would be best for your health if you just skipped the entire ceremony telecast this year.

I haven't seen BH6 as it isn't out yet here, but I'm sure there's plenty of superhero stuff in it. I imagine there's more to it than that, as you said, but the same should be said for the Lego Movie. I dont really feel that's a compelling reason.

And yes, some of the Academy won't have grown up with Lego (though Lego has been around since the late 40s..), but everyone understands it, and the film is a tribute to that.

• Like 1