CoolioD1

87TH ACADEMY AWARDS CEREMONY DISCUSSION THREAD AAAHHH! | Discuss It Live Here

hose celebrating their second nominations!

Marion Cotillard (after years of snubs/possibilities)... 7 years! (2007)
Laura Dern (after years of hard/great work that went unrecognized)... 23 years!!! eek.gif (1991)
Ethan Hawke (who thought back in 2001 HE would be returning?!)... 13 years! (2001)
Keira Knightley (after years of failed attempts).... 9 years! (2005)
Mark Ruffalo (consistent work).... 4 years! (2010)
Reese Witherspoon (after a string of bad/uninspiring films)... 9 years! (2005)

Others making "comebacks" of sorts...

Robert Duvall... 16 years! 7th nomination!
Julianne Moore... 12 years! 5th nomination.
Edward Norton...16 years! 3rd nomination.

The Grand Budapest Hotel has the earliest release date of any Picture nominee since The Silence of the Lambs 23 years ago.

So happy the momentum lasted the year. I remember already resigning to the fact that it would be unfairly snubbed this awards season when I saw it last March because of its release date.

Once Hunger Games: Mockingjay - Part 1 passes Guardians of the Galaxy, 2014 will be the second year in a row the highest grossing film of the year didn't receive any Oscar nominations.

:(

Don't worry that will all change next year when Episode VII sweeps the Oscars and finally gains retribution for ANH. :D

• Like 1

Or Vasily Zaytsev

10-Enemy-at-the-Gates-2001.jpg

I wanted to like that movie but I'm now allowed to enjoy a movie about a soldier sniper killing people in a war.  These kinds of movies are evil and feed upon morally bankrupt societies... thanks to so many bloodthirsty savages, this latest one is gonna be a BO giant... negativeman-55f.png

Don't worry that will all change next year when Episode VII sweeps the Oscars and finally gains retribution for ANH. :D

SW7 will be very lucky to get a nomination outside of technical categories.

Oyelowo, yes

Gyllenhaal is a bit overrated IMO but then again he wasn't nominated for an Oscar so I really can't say that

I don't know how anyone could watch Nightcrawler and say his performance in that is overrated. I'm usually not a big Gyllenhaal guy but he was incredible in it

• Like 4

In all seriousness, SW7 should have no problem getting a nom in the expanded BP category if it's as well received as Abrams ST reboot and is a huge blockbuster. I'm sure winning won't happen, but a nomination won't be a stretch.

Still don't think so.

I am stealing those stats from the Awards Watch forum.

With Cotillard's and Witherspoon's second nomination, there are only 2 one hit wonder of the recent era : Halle Berry and Gwyneth Paltrow.

Edited by The Futurist

In all seriousness, SW7 should have no problem getting a nom in the expanded BP category if it's as well received as Abrams ST reboot and is a huge blockbuster. I'm sure winning won't happen, but a nomination won't be a stretch.

Nah, I don't think it gets a BP nom unless it's a really weak year.

Nah, I don't think it gets a BP nom unless it's a really weak year.

If it's universally liked and a huge hit, why wouldn't it though? It would be like Avatar and Gravity not making it. I think it will have to be a really strong year for it not to make it if it delivers in a big way.

• Like 1