Impact

2015 Best Picture predictions!

Mad Max will probably just be a tech nom film-sorry guys. (for some reason from the commercial I watched for Carol online it came across as Blanchet being kind of creepy for some reason)

I would say Joy-but its not the type of film to lead for the most noms-then again neither was Birdman.

Mad Max will probably just be a tech nom film-sorry guys. (for some reason from the commercial I watched for Carol online it came across as Blanchet being kind of creepy for some reason)

I would say Joy-but its not the type of film to lead for the most noms-then again neither was Birdman.

Wouldn't be so sure. Mad Max is WB main push since OBIC is DOA and Black Mass didn't work. Besides, everyone votes and the tech (and directorial branch) are going to eat that shit up. It is on the outside but very much looking in. Everything is lining up for it.

Joy could only lead the count if DOR pulls another 4 acting noms.

• Like 1

Okay I believe this is my first attempt for BP predicts this year!

Here I go:

Bridge of Spies

Carol

Hateful 8

Inside Out

Joy

The Martian

The Revenant

Steve Jobs

The Walk

I could see Brand in Crisis getting nominated, possible Black Mass as well-depends on how big the film is. The Walk is something I am iffy on-but given the director and the old school feel of it.  Heart of the Sea? Maybe-it did get delayed till Oscar season after all.

Not sure if the Walk will be nominated anymore.

As I said earlier I could see Joy winning, but the thing is that dark comedies don't win best picture-it has the Fargo vibe going for it.

Wouldn't be so sure. Mad Max is WB main push since OBIC is DOA and Black Mass didn't work. Besides, everyone votes and the tech (and directorial branch) are going to eat that shit up. It is on the outside but very much looking in. Everything is lining up for it.

Or they will just sit out this year (which does happen for every studio from time to time). They're not having a good year box office wise since the majority of their films- including Mad Max, due to its huge budget- have lost money (and it's safe to assume they're already getting the red pen ready for their final quarter slate from the looks of their output as well), so it's likely they might want to keep any other potential losses at a minimum and just watch the race from the sidelines this year when their only big bet is a summer release that will be, at best, a fringe contender throughout the season (assuming the remaining titles live up to hype).

• Like 1

Or they will just sit out this year (which does happen for every studio from time to time). They're not having a good year box office wise since the majority of their films- including Mad Max, due to its huge budget- have lost money (and it's safe to assume they're already getting the red pen ready for their final quarter slate from the looks of their output as well), so it's likely they might want to keep any other potential losses at a minimum and just watch the race from the sidelines this year when their only big bet is a summer release that will be, at best, a fringe contender throughout the season (assuming the remaining titles live up to hype).

It doesn't even need that hard of a push. It's probably going to get big critic awards. I can totally see a world were LAFCA goes fully behind it.

• Like 2

It doesn't even need that hard of a push. It's probably going to get big critic awards. I can totally see a world were LAFCA goes fully behind it.

I love the movie to death but you seem a lot more hopeful than I am. Maaaaaybe Miller can get in.

I love the movie to death but you seem a lot more hopeful than I am. Maaaaaybe Miller can get in.

I liked it a lot but this isn't coming from that part of me.

There is a legit path for it. I'm not saying it is happening, but we are like one weak campaign or flop film away.

If I'm stanning for anything it is Son of Saul and Youth.

I am starting to feel like The Revenant and Joy are the only contenders. Maybe Hateful Eight? Maybe Brooklyn? Maybe Spotlight? Maybe maybe maybe Mad Max with a perfect storm, critical love and a huge campaign?

But no. This seems like it is The Revenant and Joy.

• Like 1

I am starting to feel like The Revenant and Joy are the only contenders. Maybe Hateful Eight? Maybe Brooklyn? Maybe Spotlight? Maybe maybe maybe Mad Max with a perfect storm, critical love and a huge campaign?

But no. This seems like it is The Revenant and Joy.

Agree 100%

And I think joy will take it because they won't want to reward Innaritu 2 years in a row

Revanant has the potential to disappoint more than Joy.

Mad Max will probably geta  PGA nom. Almost a sure-fire thing.

And one more prediction: we might have only 6 or7 BP nominees this year.

I would say Joy has a killer narrative right now.

Agree 100%

And I think joy will take it because they won't want to reward Innaritu 2 years in a row

Revanant has the potential to disappoint more than Joy.

Mad Max will probably geta PGA nom. Almost a sure-fire thing.

And one more prediction: we might have only 6 or7 BP nominees this year.

I would say Joy has a killer narrative right now.

Yeah, I don't know if I'm feeling eight this year. At the very least we'll get Joy, Revenant, Jobs, Hateful Eight, and Spotlight. The second half is populist movies (Inside Out, Martian, Mad Max) and movies that aren't gaining a lot of traction (Carol, Bridge of Spies). There's also Room, but I don't know if it can sustain the hype. Edited by WrathOfHan
  • Like 1

Fun fact: Fox will be getting 3 oscars in a row if Joy or Rev get the BP Oscar.

Is this a record??

Fox Searchlight and 2000 Fox are entirely different entities when it comes to campaigning.

Can someone explain to me one more time how BP votes work? I know I understand it, but to say we are only getting 6 or 7 seems silly. There are a lot more passion picks this year over last. That's proven by Imitiation Game and The Theory of Everything getting in. Even Room and Spotlight are better and should gain more passion than those two movies.

Apparently Spotlight has buzz, I know. I'm just not buying it for a second.

Fox Searchlight and 2000 Fox are entirely different entities when it comes to campaigning.

Can someone explain to me one more time how BP votes work? I know I understand it, but to say we are only getting 6 or 7 seems silly. There are a lot more passion picks this year over last. That's proven by Imitiation Game and The Theory of Everything getting in. Even Room and Spotlight are better and should gain more passion than those two movies.

Apparently Spotlight has buzz, I know. I'm just not buying it for a second.

If 6-10 have 5% or more of first place votes they're in.

I'm thinking this:

Locks:

The Revenant

Joy

Spotlight

Carol

Almost locks:

Steve Jobs

Inside Out

Likely:

The Hateful Eight

Brooklyn

Will show up despite a contingent hope not to:

The Danish Girl

So, I am think 8 or 9. But the last five are all quite susceptible.

Outside looking in, somewhat in order:

Room

Beasts of No Nation

Son of Saul

Mad Max: Fury Road

Bridge of Spies

Youth

Bridge of Spies

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

The Martian

By the Sea (Weird gut feeling.)