Impact

2015 Best Picture predictions!

I could see Joy winning right now. I would say Revenant but that is iffy-if it wins director that be the first time since 1950 where the previous best director winner takes home back to back wins! (only twice has it happened)

Okay I believe this is my first attempt for BP predicts this year!

Here I go:

Bridge of Spies

Carol
Hateful 8

Inside Out

Joy

The Martian

The Revenant

Steve Jobs

The Walk

I could see Brand in Crisis getting nominated, possible Black Mass as well-depends on how big the film is. The Walk is something I am iffy on-but given the director and the old school feel of it.  Heart of the Sea? Maybe-it did get delayed till Oscar season after all.

Early strong reactions: Spotlight, Brooklyn, Carol and Steve Jobs (safest bets at this moment)

Mild/poor early reactions, but still can gain traction: Danish girl and Suffragette (if they want to go crazy about female dramas...)

They could surprise but need BO: Sicario and Everest (unprobable), Black Mass and Martian (mmmmaybe)

Fighting for the independent film slot this year: Beasts of no nation, Youth (one of this sure will get in)

Still unseen: The walk, In the heart of the sea, Bridge of Spies, Revenant, Hateful Eight, Joy

Inside Out looking for some air to breath... And Son of Saul prepared to make a resounding appearance

Edited by stripe

not in any order

1. the revenant

2. carol

3. brooklyn

4. spotlight

5. beasts of no nation

6. youth

7. bridge of spies

8. hateful eight

9. joy

10. inside out

the above 10 are my absolute locks for a nomination.

alternates incase disappointment/fail to nom - sicario, steve jobs, into the heart of the sea, the martian, son of saul

stuff like danish girl now has little chance of a nomination,with so many good and powerful movies above.

Edited by Halba

Brooklyn looks like Never Let Me Go or indistinguishable from other period romance dramas. Feels like we've seen a billion of them with the same setup, characters etc. Besides being in award season, it really does not look much better or of a higher standard than most romantic dramas outside of Oscar season. It brings to mind some averagely reviewed, non-existent box office British flick. I think there are at least a couple every year without fail.

Macbeth is a joke. Shakespeare on film is a joke. That's all. No one cares anymore. Stop making them.

Jennifer Lawrence, *unpopular opinion alert*, looks ill-fit for the role. Did she win for American Hustle? I see the same woman in every real world role she plays. I'd say she does better acting in the Hunger Games movies than she does in things like Joy and American Hustle. Don't believe for a second that she's a mother and Hustle she was completely unbelievable. The hype train is out of hand. 

• Like 1

That is a poor analogy for both films

My point of view on this is the following:

Boyhood was touted as a front runner early on last year it didn't win for multiple reasons, one of which is IFC which is a small distributor and couldn't push it till the end. Open Road is also a small distributor for Spotlight hence my concern.

For Birdman and Steve Jobs, it is that it has good reviews, but mainly a bigger studio behind it. And so far these are the only 2 best reviewed films in the fest circuit.

My point of view on this is the following:

Boyhood was touted as a front runner early on last year it didn't win for multiple reasons, one of which is IFC which is a small distributor and couldn't push it till the end. Open Road is also a small distributor for Spotlight hence my concern.

For Birdman and Steve Jobs, it is that it has good reviews, but mainly a bigger studio behind it. And so far these are the only 2 best reviewed films in the fest circuit.

Boyhood was an 160-minute, slower-paced film that showed vignettes of a childhood and was pretty much a study of character evolution over time. 

Spotlight is a 2-hour, tightly-placed investigative drama that has been getting comparisons to Argo with regards to style and potential crowdpleasing ability and also draws from the tradition of All The Presidents Men and The Insider and is more about the what and the how instead of the who.

So how are the two films even remotely similar? (Not even going to touch the Birdman/Jobs analogy).

• Like 1

Boyhood was an 160-minute, slower-paced film that showed vignettes of a childhood and was pretty much a study of character evolution over time. 

Spotlight is a 2-hour, tightly-placed investigative drama that has been getting comparisons to Argo with regards to style and potential crowdpleasing ability and also draws from the tradition of All The Presidents Men and The Insider and is more about the what and the how instead of the who.

So how are the two films even remotely similar? (Not even going to touch the Birdman/Jobs analogy).

Am referring to the studios driving the campaign and not the films themselves.

dont think spotlight or steve jobs are going to get the win

its going to be an event film like bridge of spies or the revenant, which will also have a good box office gross.

The one thing that might hurt the revenant is the big expectations going for it - so it needs not to disappoint despite the huge expectations (like Unbroken which many thought would win it all).

The difference is Innaritu who is a masterpiece filmmaker so chances of this flopping critically are very low, so you could be right.

I don't see Bridge winning at all - even if the box office is huge. Something about it tells me it's another Lincoln style awards run.

• Like 1

I don't understand where this idea that Innaritu is a master director comes from. Critically, he has made a great film and a few average ones. The Revenant could be really average or gorgeous, but still average.

This is come from someone who loved Birdman and had it winning BP.

Edited by TStechnij
  • Like 1

maybe hes improved with birdman from his earlier works. if the improvement holds, then he should get something with the revenant. trailer looks really good.

heres my updated picks in order of likelihood

1. the revenant

2. bridge of spies ( i think it looks great)

3. spotlight

4. carol

5. joy

6. brooklyn

7. beasts of no nation

8. steve jobs

9. the hateful eight

10. joy

alts- in the heart of the sea, macbeth, youth, room

Edited by Halba