Impact

2015 Best Picture predictions!

I don't understand where this idea that Innaritu is a master director comes from. Critically, he has made a great film and a few average ones. The Revenant could be really average or gorgeous, but still average.

This is come from someone who loved Birdman and had it winning BP.

His work has been stellar: Birdman, Babel, Butiful etc. I love his work and he's very well respected in Hollywood. Even though some say his personality is a bit tough to work with...

Edited by MinaTakla

updated predicts

1. the revenant

2. anomalisa (now in the race, picked up by paramount)

3. bridge of spies

4. spotlight

5. carol

6. brooklyn

7. joy

8. hateful eight

9. beasts of no nation

10. steve jobs

alts - in the heart of the sea

youth

macbeth

Edited by Halba

His work has been stellar: Birdman, Babel, Butiful etc. I love his work and he's very well respected in Hollywood. Even though some say his personality is a bit tough to work with...

Birdman was phenomenal.

Babel was shit. Like Crash. Like Magnolia. 

updated predicts

1. the revenant

2. anomalisa (now in the race, picked up by paramount)

3. bridge of spies

4. spotlight

5. carol

6. brooklyn

7. joy

8. hateful eight

9. beasts of no nation

10. steve jobs

alts - in the heart of the sea

youth

macbeth

I'd slow your roll with Anomalisa. Paramount is pretty messy and it may be too minor to be in contention. I think Inside Out is still going to be the only animated film to make a dent in the best picture race. High critical a best picture nominee does not make. (Just look at The Danish Girl.

If the LAFCA gives it best picture (which is something I could see them doing) we should reaccess.

It has a chance at adapted screenplay and should get a nomination for best animated picture. If it get the BAM mom then we need to consider that a win since it is going up against two Pixar giants and has about a 5% chance of a win.

Keep Macbeth away from your predictions. Harvey is trying to bury that and it will have no visibility come voting season.

And Brooklyn isn't going to happen.

Keep Macbeth away from your predictions. Harvey is trying to bury that and it will have no visibility come voting season.

Why? it has an 85% metascore.. Variety gave it 100. and who on earth is Harvey? 

Why? it has an 85% metascore.. Variety gave it 100. and who on earth is Harvey?

Harvey Weinstein from TWC. He distributed the film stateside. He is actively not promoting and burying the film.

No one is going to see it until it is on Prime in February, which is a huge deal. It won't get award traction and will probably not expand past 50 screens.

Weinstein does that with a lot of Coitillard films and people seem to think he has it out for her.

Edited by TStechnij

Harvey Weinstein from TWC. He distributed the film stateside. He is actively not promoting and burying the film.

No one is going to see it until it is on Prime in Thursday, which is a huge deal. It won't get award traction and will probably not expand past 50 screens.

Weinstein does that with a lot of Coitillard films and people seem to think he has it out for her.

that's weird. and stupid.. like are you saying that it won't get any awards attention because it won't having enough publicity screenings on time? 

One of the reasons why I hate the Oscars so much.. 

Yeah Harvey is a petty SOB. No matter how good a film is, if he gets pissed off at the director/crew he will bury the movie to punish it.

thats fucked up, he doesn't want something that is part of a company he OWNS to get awards attention because he has a problem with someone involved with the picture.. either way it shouldn't even matter, that's why I feel the Oscars are at least slightly fixed.. if films don't get nominations just because they don't receive enough promotion.. kind of makes the Oscars seem well really pretentious. 

thats fucked up, he doesn't want something that is part of a company he OWNS to get awards attention because he has a problem with someone involved with the picture.. either way it shouldn't even matter, that's why I feel the Oscars are at least slightly fixed.. if films don't get nominations just because they don't receive enough promotion.. kind of makes the Oscars seem well really pretentious. 

Read about what he did to Snowpiercer and The Immigrant from just last year.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 2

Read about what he did to Snowpiercer and The Immigrant from just last year.

Yeah, two of the best films of the year got trashed by him. Both did well enough with critics where they could have gotten serious awards attention had they been pushed. Heck, with a good rollout, The Immigrant could have won Cotillard best actress and possibly even gone for picture (it was a wide open year awards wise).

• Like 3

that's weird. and stupid.. like are you saying that it won't get any awards attention because it won't having enough publicity screenings on time? 

One of the reasons why I hate the Oscars so much.. 

One of the many reasons. Old, white men making up the majority and the whole process makes it dubious as well. 

But, it's Shakespeare which is the real reason it won't get anything. It's nothing new. We've seen it all before. Pass.

I don't understand where this idea that Innaritu is a master director comes from. Critically, he has made a great film and a few average ones. The Revenant could be really average or gorgeous, but still average.

I think is because he is the previous winner so people look at him as the favorite. 

I'm not a fan but he doesn't just has Birdman. Amores Perros was a huge hit in Mexico and a festival circuit hit around the world and it even reached to casuals moviegoers after theatrical release. 21 Grams and Babel got a lot of critic and award attention in their time even if they are half-forgotten by now. His only movie that came and went without notice wwas Biutiful. He is distinct enough and he just won an oscar. He has earned his "auteur" badge by now.