Impact

2015 Best Picture predictions!

Saw Spotlight last night. Such a great movie. Crowd really loved it. Didn't do anything to dissuade me from thinking it is either the leader or very close to it. All this talk earlier in the topic that it "didn't have standout moments" and "no way it's anybody's number one" just doesn't ring true at all. I can see alot of people in the Academy really, really loving it in an Argo type way. 

Haven't seen Spotlight but, similarly to Argo, it definitely gives off '70s vibes - although it's not set at that time, it seems very much inspired by All the President's Men. Then again, I'll be really surprised if it's as fantastic as that movie, and ATPM didn't win BP.

I still think Joy wins provided it's received as well by the critics and the public as DOR's previous three. If it's more divisive/disappointing, then that opens the door for Spotlight... or maybe The Revenant. 

1 hour ago, Kalo said:

It will definitely be interesting when the nominations are announced I remember last year when they were there was very little surprise, expect for the exclusion of Gone Girl and Lego Movie. 

I don't think Gone Girl being excluded was really a surprise. I never really thought it was going to get nominated. 

Yup, not many surprises in the big categories. I'm still going with The Revenant, too much talent involved. I just hope it is not Babel, and a little more Birdman. I have not seen Spotlight, but it is hard for me to grasp The Academy voting for the subject matter. Yeah, with the box office disaster I have Steve Jobs out, with the small indies in Room and Brooklyn getting in

10 hours ago, Empire of Spies said:

I don't think Gone Girl being excluded was really a surprise. I never really thought it was going to get nominated. 

But you didn't like Gone Girl, critics and fans raved about it.

1 hour ago, Tau Ceti said:

Really puzzled at the overly cautious rollout with Room. It's missing its window for a decent platform release. By the end of this month it will be competing with half a dozen contenders.

I know, I really want to see it, but it's not playing anywhere near me and by the time it does there will be like ten other movies I need to see.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Empire of Spies said:

Uh, no. I liked it. I rated it an A. I just didn't think it was something the Academy would go for. 

Oh.. okay, thought you didn't like it. I mean it wasn't shocked worthy that it wasn't nominated. but I was a little surprised- as were quite a few people.  

Depending on what kind of reviews Joy, The Revenant, and The Hateful Eight get, this is shaping up to potentially be the most acclaimed BP lineup ever. Strong contenders like Spotlight, Brooklyn, Room, Inside Out, The Martian, Bridge of Spies, and Carol all have 93% or above on RT, with all but Martian and BoS having 8.5-9.0 average ratings. Even if Steve Jobs wasn't a bomb, it quite frankly isn't even in the highly elite acclaim tier of this year's contenders to get nommed anyways. 

Edited by MovieMan89

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2015‎ ‎1‎:‎02‎:‎12‎, Jake Gittes said:

What really surprised me was Gone Girl not even receiving a Screenplay nom. Seemed like it would be as obvious as Pike's nomination. 

There were whisperings that the movie made a number of male Academy voters feel "uncomfortable," I'm guessing that in a significantly less barren Best Actress year that Pike would've the missed the cut as well (their only alternatives besides her and Cotillard for the last two spots were another Amy Adams filler nomination for which she had no shot at winning and Jennifer Aniston in a tiny movie that was from a nothing studio, got mediocre reviews, and made zilch at the box office).

• Like 2

On 2/11/2015 12:23:28, stripe said:

To succeed with my March bold statement (the sum of the BO gross of all nominees this year will let the average gross for each movie to be over 100M before the nominations are even announced)

Inside Out 355M

The Martian 210M

Mad Max 153M

Joy 105M

Bridge of Spies 75M

Revenant 40M

Spotlight 40M

Carol 35M

Steve Jobs 20M

Brooklyn 15M

A few changes. Steve Jobs out, Room in. And The Martian is grossing more than expected

Inside Out 357M

The Martian 230M

Mad Max 153M

Joy 85M

Bridge of Spies 75M

Revenant 35M

Spotlight 35M

Carol 30M

Brooklyn 15M

Room 10M