Fullbuster

European Union Box Office : 994 million tickets sold in 2016!

17 hours ago, Agafin said:

Is Titanic the only movie to have sold 100M+ tickets here? I know Avatar sold 70M while both Potter and FOTR were around 60m. Jungle Book maybe? Or Gone With the Wind?

Difficult to say. There are not exact data for old films. Although there are data for some countries and those 2 films and maybe any other are likely to have reached 100 million (according Lumiere, Titanic sold 103 million in European Union).

Jungle Book (1967) is estimated to have sold 27.4 million admissions in Germany, 19.8 in UK and 14.7 in France. Nearly 62 million in just 3 countries.

Gone with the Wind is estimated to have sold 35 million in UK and 14 in France.

I think just Snow White and seven dwarves (28 million in UK and 18 in France) could have a chance.

But it is hard to find films even over 50 million. According Lumiere, since 1996 there are just 7 films in European Union (not whole Europe), and including Titanic, over 50 million admissions:

Titanic: 103.1 million

Fellowship of the Ring: 58.4

Sorcerer's Stone: 57.4

The Two Towers: 52.9

The Return of the King: 52.3

Chamber of Secrets: 50.3

And over 40 million:

Phantom Menace: 46.8

Finding Nemo: 43.8

Skyfall: 43.7

Shrek 2: 42.8

Pirates of the Caribbean 2: 42.6

Globet of Fire: 42.3

Independence Day: 41

Ice Age 3: 40.3

All of them, very far from 100 million.

2015 films are still not available, so we do not know if SW7 (sure it is), Minions or Jurassic World are on the list. Of course, previous to 1996 there are quite films that have probably reached these 40-50 million in European Union (E.T, Star Wars, Lion King, Jurassic Park, Doctor Zhivago, Sound of music, Ten commandments, ...).

• Like 1

Thank you Peludo. So I guess there's no definitive answer but a lot of candidates. It's a bit surprising to me that the whole of Europe generally has fewer 50m+ sellers than NA.

And yes, I'm sure TFA has sold over 50 million tickets. Deadline estimated its total gross a few weeks ago at about $630m (probably a bit more right now) and with the unfavourable ER, its ticket price in $US is surely less than $12 accross the region.

19 minutes ago, Agafin said:

And yes, I'm sure TFA has sold over 50 million tickets. Deadline estimated its total gross a few weeks ago at about $630m (probably a bit more right now) and with the unfavourable ER, its ticket price in $US is surely less than $12 accross the region.

Possible, depending on 3D share of course. We saw TFA in standard 2D and it was about US$8,40 (€7,30) ... that was midweek, weekend prices are higher, say about US$10 for 2D and US$13 for 3D, then there's Atmos and there's IMAX and possibly some other premium surcharges so with a usual high 3D share, the average ticket price should be somewhere around 12-13US$

Edited by IndustriousAngel

Just now, IndustriousAngel said:

Possible, depending on 3D share of course. We saw TFA in standard 2D and it was about US$8,40 (€7,30) ... that was midweek, weekend prices are higher, say about US$10 for 2D and US$13 for 3D, then there's Atmos and there's IMAX and possibly some other premium surcharges so with a usual high 3D share, the average ticket price should be somewhere around 12-13US$

You are talking about Germany right? If I'm not mistaken, it has some of the highest ticket prices in Europe. In France, the average ticket price of TFA was only about $8 so that should offset some of high prices in Germany (and presumably The UK).

8 minutes ago, IndustriousAngel said:

Almost 3 mln admissions from Poland with average about 5,4$

12 hours ago, jbdu77000 said:

with this site: http://www.insidekino.de/BO/Titanic.htm , i  calculate that Titanic sold 104milllions in UE (i don't take Swiss and Norway) and without Portugal and the others countries in UE that  are not on the site. Therefore the 103.7 milllions tickets according to Lumiere are not the reality I think. 

Same applies to many other films. Lumiere does not have the exact data. According my info, data are for each country a bit lower than reality, but it is the biggest grouped database for European films. I do not know if Titanic sold 103, 105 or 110 million admissions in UE, but I think Lumiere is the closest approximmation.

16 minutes ago, Fullbuster said:

Star Wars : The Force Awakens

European Union : $554m

OS Box Office : $1.130B

EU Share of the OS Box Office : 49%

That share is crazy! And it shows (especially if you compare it to SH movies) that Europes taste in movies is very different.

Europes share for the next SW-movie will go down for sure though.

22 minutes ago, Aristis said:

That share is crazy! And it shows (especially if you compare it to SH movies) that Europes taste in movies is very different.

Europes share for the next SW-movie will go down for sure though.

It's not that different, movies doing well in the US are doing well in the EU as well, and vice versa. The only notable differences? SH movies much more popular in the US and Ice Age movies much more popular in Europe. Still, SH are still doing well enough in Europe, The Avengers grossing $233m was pretty good.

Japan's tastes are very different, Europe's are relatively similar.

Edited by Fullbuster

2 minutes ago, Giesi said:

Do you have numbers for the first and last HP movies? And wow, RotK numbers were really huge.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2

European Union: $412.4m

OS Box Office: $960.5m

EU Share of Box Office: 42.94%

• Like 2