chasmmi

Chasmmi's top 50 (or so) films of the Year - Top 5 is finally on its way - will there be any shock entries?

5th - Guardians of the Galaxy - 96/100

The five Guardians, sporting various weapons, arrayed in front of a backdrop of a planet in space.

What I was hoping expecting: Pretty much read my thoughts and expectations for Captain America Winter Soldier and add in that this was an unknown bunch of heros of which was one flipping  Batista. I had no real expectations of this until the trailers came and it started to look like it could be a bit of fun.

What I got: I did a write up of this film for the BOFFY thread so there is more detail there but basically, this film is just a lot of fun. It's silly, it's brash, full of jokes and levity and it works completely. Just like Cap 2, this was a nice style and step for Marvel and they hit another field goal in the final quarter of the 9th innings. It is just one of the best times you could have had at the cinema in 2014 and that's all I really need to say about this one. :)

• Like 5

5th - Guardians of the Galaxy - 96/100

220px-GOTG-poster.jpg

What I was hoping expecting: Pretty much read my thoughts and expectations for Captain America Winter Soldier and add in that this was an unknown bunch of heros of which was one flipping  Batista. I had no real expectations of this until the trailers came and it started to look like it could be a bit of fun.

What I got: I did a write up of this film for the BOFFY thread so there is more detail there but basically, this film is just a lot of fun. It's silly, it's brash, full of jokes and levity and it works completely. Just like Cap 2, this was a nice style and step for Marvel and they hit another field goal in the final quarter of the 9th innings. It is just one of the best times you could have had at the cinema in 2014 and that's all I really need to say about this one. :)

I love GotG but wtf does this mean

Yeah, that sentence makes 0 sense. :lol:

well not 0. just change it to homerun.. and get rid of the 's' on "innings" problem solved :P and maybe stretch instead of quarter... nevermind it makes no sense.  

Edited by Kalo

4th - Belle - 96/100

Belle poster.jpg

What I was hoping/expecting: British period dramas are immensely hit and miss for me. Sometimes they can be powerful, emotional masterpieces that I would rate alongside some of the best films ever. Then sometimes they are just plain dull or stupid. I'd heard good things about this film but did not know which one it would end up being.

What I got: I can't believe there was no best actress nomination for this film? Mbatha-Raw is just amazing in this playing a girl torn stuck in a horrible limbo or being a noblewoman of stature and wealth, but also being a colour that at the time lowered her to the level of servant or slave. The frustration of such a situation is played so well here as she strives for a normal life at a time where she was anything but normal.

The whole cast here does a great job and there was just something that hits you so hard about Belle's situation. This was probably the most emotional I personally got watching any film from start to finish last year as you can't help but just feel for her.

I've seen comments about how a film like this seems soft and weightless after 12 years a slave got made and really hammered home the horrors of slavery. but that was not ever going to be the intention of this filmmaker. Yes race and slavery are massive parts of the plot and story, but this is at its core half romantic drama, half family drama, not a damning social commentary.

Overall it is just a beautifully made film that deserved more attention that it got and possible 2014's strongest example to suggest that Oscar voters in general tend to forget that January to June exist in the world of cinema.

• Like 5

3rd - Pride - 97/100

Pride poster.jpg

What I was hoping/expecting: I knew little about this except that it was a small British Comedy based on real events. the cast was fantastic though and these kind of films have a habit to sometimes pop up and be amazing in the extreme. So it was worth a worth because if it was good, it may well have turned out great.

What I got: Man it was great. The serious nature of the topic blended with quirky British humour just made this film so enjoyable for me. The relationships between the gay community and the miners was created and built up so well and you had just a wonderful odd couple dynamic where the prejudices of two groups of people can evapourate when one meets the people behind the label.

So much of this reminded me of the Full Monty in its style and execution and on first reaction, this may even be better than that film, it's that well done. Imelda Staunton deserves special mention in this for being amazing in her supporting role but that really does a misservice to the rest of the cast that all made this just a privelege to watch and if the real story is even 20% as similar as the fictionalised version made here, then this is truly a remarkable testament to the good nature of people when given a chance to shine and I cannot reccomend this film enough.

• Like 2

Pride is the best film of 2014, I'm glad to see it so high on your list.

I'm not sure how well it gels with people outside the UK but I just thought it was phenomenal.

Imelda Staunton and Andrew Scott were fantastic and imo are the best supporting actor/actress of the year.

• Like 1