Kalo

Kalo's 54 films of 2014 countdown. (Countdown complete #1 on page 9)

#32 John Wick 

john-wick-poster.jpg

John Wick is a man you don't wanna mess with, an ex-hit man devastated by the lose of his wife, goes out of retirement, when gangster's take everything of meaning from him.

This movie was pretty awesome, and I've been a fan of Keanu Reeves, of a long time, he may not have the largest range in the world, but I never considered him a bad actor, and he's such a powerful action presence, and Damn! what is his secret! 50 but he doesn't look a day over 35!. I've have been noted for saying I don't care much for action movies, mostly cause most of them seem the same, let me clarify, I love a good action movie, but most are just so by-the-books formatic, this isn't exactly unique from them, it's just got the right hits in the right places, excellent action sequences, great soundtrack, and Kenue is better than he's been in years, I will admit that it lost a bit of it's steam towards the end, and maybe didn't quite live up to my original expectations, but it was still a damn fine ride! also that poster my be my favorite of the year, it's simple but there is just something about it that I love.

My Grade: B+
Favorite Character: John Wick
Favorite performance: Keanu Reeves
Favorite part: The fight in the club sequence 

johnwick-fire.gif?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVER

JohnWick-Trailer-BarShootout-03-400-sg.g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXMOHS1F5jY

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 3

#31 Fury 

Fury-Movie-HD-Wallpapers.jpg

Near the end of WW2, in April 1945, the Allies make their final push through Europe,  Wardaddy a war hardened  Army sergeant runs a Sherman tank, along with his five man crew. after the loss of one of their crew, a rookie is added to the company and exposed to the hardness and horror war.

I really liked this movie, I thought it depicted war and the what war can do to a man incredibly realistically, the entire cast was great, but I give a real Shout out to Brad Pitt, and Logan Lerman who was the driving force of this film. I honestly think he gave one of the best performances of the year in this film, and the tank battles were really awesome, it was a bit slow in parts. and it's story was a bit smaller in scale than some war films, but I thought this was a quite impressive film overall and that final stand sequence! 

Favorite Character: Boyd 'Bible' Swan
Favorite performance: Logan Lerman
Favorite part: The Final Stand scene. 

Fury-full-crew_3058213b.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUZKSYCREo8

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 2

#30 The Interview 

4f9c75e3c053df4e25fa8f297837d7e5.jpg

"Do you ever Feel like a plastic bag?" "Blowing through the wind?" 

Dave Skylark and producer Aaron Rapoport run the celebrity tabloid show "Skylark Tonight." When they land an interview with a surprise fan, North Korean dictator Kim Jong-un, they are recruited by the CIA to turn their trip to Pyongyang into an assassination mission.

Wow, this movie, had a lot of controversy surrounding it, so much so that it almost started a war? (maybe). but then I watch it and I was like this? really? well I mean they do depict the leader of North Korea, as a complete douchebag. I thought James Franco was Hilarious in this, I loved how he always related everything to lord of the rings! there were just so many parts I found funny, it was a lot better than I thought it would be, and it's hard to please me when it comes to comedy. sure it wasn't amazing, and it was dumb, but it was my kind of dumb! Seth Rogen was a bit more tolerable than normal, but he still annoyed me a bit. great movie, probably my favorite true comedy of the year. (not quite the funniest though).

Favorite Character: Dave Skylark
Favorite performance: James Franco 
Favorite part: The Part Where daves ask Sook if Kim Jong-un has a butthole XD

post-56001-haters-gonna-hate-and-ainters

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpo9qvRsQ98  

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 1

#29 Into the Woods 

4ea7ca1ca53e73200d99d9f59be590e4.jpg

A witch tasks a childless baker and his wife with procuring magical items from classic fairy tales to reverse the curse put on their family tree.

I really liked this movie, although I haven't seen the play on which it's based, I really liked most of the songs, and thought the entire cast was outstanding. Chris Pine was probably the highpoint of the movie, but I really thought Emily Blunt and James Corden were both great. and Meryl Streep was great of course. I would have liked it even more if the third act wasn't soo.. dragy? but still a really good movie.

Favorite Character: The Baker
Favorite performance: Chris Pine, but they are all great (except maybe Johnny Depp) 
Favorite part: The Agony song scene

70c53670f972dbcd99a85481acd28a4d.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YmixlJ79ZF0  

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 3

#28 The Maze Runner 

movies-the-maze-runner-poster-1.jpg

Thomas is deposited in a community of boys after his memory is erased, soon learning they're all trapped in a maze that will require him to join forces with fellow "runners" for a shot at escape.

This movie surprised me, I thought it looked like it might be better than a lot for the YA crap they're cranking out, but I wasn't expecting to be so engrossed in the film, or like it so much, I loved it when you take a group of people and put them in a confined area and they have to work together to survive, also the maze was just plain cool, the performances by really most of the cast was really good too, especially Dylan O'Brien. who really leads the film in a strong way. I thought the ending was a bit of a letdown, a bit too hunger Games like maybe, but still I really enjoyed this movie. this was definitely the best YA Sci-Fi film of the year for me. much Better than Divergent and wayy better then mockingjay. 

My Grade: B+ (almost A-) 
Favorite Character: Newt, Chuck and Thomas.
Favorite performance: Dylan O'Brien
Favorite part: running through the maze.

MR_Collapsing.gif

W_TMR_Place.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-3gRdPAtKM

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 1

#27 Chef 

chef-chef-alternative-movie-poster.jpeg?

A chef who loses his restaurant job starts up a food truck in an effort to reclaim his creative promise, while piecing back together his estranged family.

I gotta say, I have a weakness for movies about food, I like pretty much everyone I see, but that's usually because they are so good, and the food just makes your mouth water, also I was a Chef for a while so I can relate to an extent, But as for this movie, I thought this was a great turn for Jon Favreau, he was great behind and in front of the camera, you can tell this film meant a lot to him personally, the rest of the cast was pretty good as well, I have been a big fan of John Leguizamo for a long time and he is great here, also lots of times when you make a kid a main character in a movie, they can come across as annoying, or unlikeable this wasn't the case here and I thought Emjay Anthony was quite good, and he played a genuinely likable kid. really really liked this movie. 

My Grade: B+ (maybe A-)
Favorite Character: Carl Casper
Favorite performance: Jon Favreau
Favorite part: like all the cooking scenes.

tumblr_n3phfz65RO1qcfm3ro1_400.gif

chef-dancing.gif?w=490&h=221

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CzpVmyzbYLg  

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 3

#26 The Grand Budapest Hotel 

ee4b686bfd8a07b47e852892fdd5a228.jpg

The adventures of Gustave H, a legendary concierge at a famous hotel from the fictional Republic of Zubrowka between the first and second World Wars, and Zero Moustafa, the lobby boy who becomes his most trusted friend.

I know I have stated I thought this movie was over-rated, which to me, I just didn't find it quite as groundbreaking as some people, that being said, I really liked this movie, the art direction in here is just exquisite and it's a beautiful film to look at, the entire cast is on their top game here, especially Ralph Fiennes, and it's full of great canoes, this has got to be one of the most star studded films ever.  the score is playful and fun and very enjoyable, and the story is intriguing.  M. Gustave and Zero being one of the strong points. I really liked the passing of the torched theme. I did however find it a lot more amusing than funny. though it did have it's moments, maybe it's supposed to be that way, I'm not sure. but I wouldn't exactly call it a comedy. I probably need to watch it again sometimes, my opinion can change with a second viewing. but still at the end of the day this was a very enjoyable film and I would highly recommend it.  

My Grade: A-
Favorite Character: M. Gustave
Favorite performance: Ralph Fiennes
Favorite part: The prison break sequence. 

Award Winner! Best Art Direction according to Kalo

Award Winner! Best Costume Design according to Kalo

333ec36ae1638417d31a3ed8ab85bee3.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN5sqSEXxm4

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 3

#25 Pride

pride-poster.jpg

U.K. gay activists work to help miners during their lengthy strike of the National Union of Mineworkers in the summer of 1984.

Pride, was such a moving film, the fact the the gays, who at the time were one of the most persecuted minority groups, and then went out of their way to help the miners was inspiring, and the way showed the bonds formed, made my heart soar, what I really liked about it was it was dealing with a serious matter, but it made you look in the bright side, a incredible true story of breaking bridges and making bonds, the entire cast was excellent, in fact everyone was so great it's kind of hard to single one out, Bill Nighy Imelda Staunton maybe? I feel Ben Schnetzer definitely deserves a mention too though. in short Pride was an excellent movie and I'm glad it got some recognition by the Golden Globes, if you haven't seen it yet, you should check it out. 

Favorite Character: Mark
Favorite performance: not sure
Favorite part:

the march at the end maybe?

306_1_Pride-film-still-014.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iAlzQ0-5sjA  

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 3

#24 Snowpiercer 

dbc8e44ee49b2751aec51524218becd4.jpg

Set in a future where a failed climate-change experiment kills all life on the planet except for a lucky few who boarded the Snowpiercer, a train that travels around the globe, where a class system emerges.

This movie was quite a ride, Chris Evans is fantastic here, 2014 was such a banner year for him, I feel he has really grown as an actor in recent years, (though  he was always good). the entire premise is quite interesting, when mankind tried to fix global warming, they ended up with causing the opposite problem, I really thought the whole cast was great, and Tilda Swinton! wow, been a long time fan of Jamie bell too. this a separation of the classes story, and Evans plays Curtis, the Robin hood of the story if you will, the poor are in the back, mistreated and miserable and the rich are in the front, in order to find answers they must make their way to the front. this movie was intense, exciting, gritty, thought provoking and a visual spectacle to behold, excellent movie! (note I actually had really hard time placing this, in fact my 24-19 could basically all swich order and it wouldn't make much difference.) 

Favorite Character: Curtis 
Favorite performance: Tilda Swinton and Chris Evans
Favorite part: gosh there were a lot of really good parts, hard to pick one.

snowpiercer.gif?w=676

tumblr_n6ixy47eQm1rnvubuo3_500.gif

tumblr_molxgno1Ma1rcdgd0o2_250.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9eRgQYIPqZk

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 6

#23 Stranger By the Lake 

6cb79665c5f079100e36cd74a2cd8251.jpg

Summertime. A cruising spot for men, tucked away on the shores of a lake. Franck falls in love with Michel. An attractive, potent and lethally dangerous man. Franck knows this, but wants to live out his passion anyway.

Well according to Box office Mojo, it was released in January 2014 in the US. so I'm counting it as such. wow, what a ride this film was, I've never seen anything like it really, a homoerotic French thriller. Pierre Deladonchamps, is fantastic as Franck, a lonely "cruiser" who befriends Henri, who carry a conversion over a curse of days, he falls for Michel, a handsome mysterious stranger with a dark presence, Franck, despite knowing Michal is dangerous, pursues him anyways, I found this film to be incredibly realistic, and thought provoking, showing how far some people will go for lust and desire, even if it means mortal danger to themselves and those around them, the graphic scenes, only highlighted the sense of rawness and intimacy of this film. it was hauntingly beautiful and dangerously sexy. 

Favorite Character: Franck
Favorite performance: Pierre Deladonchamps
Favorite part: hmm. not sure. 

Stranger-by-the-lake_3_large.jpg

tumblr_mx417kjFjr1qigz10o4_500.gif

stranger_by_the_lake.gif

710f04bb9be00d716d45d885b7f53f2d.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgcEGKn7waI  

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 1

#22 The Guest

guest_ver4.jpg

A soldier introduces himself to the Peterson family, claiming to be a friend of their son who died in action. After the young man is welcomed into their home, a series of accidental deaths seem to be connected to his presence.

I have Numbers to thank for this film, I read his review of it and almost immediately watched it afterwards, boy was I glad I did. this movie is fantastic! and Dan Stevens is just plain electric! a driving force to be reckoned with. his character david is so intriguing, you don't know whether to love him, hate him or fear him, a bit of everything I think. but the soundtrack! the soundtrack is amazing! and fits perfectly, I love the 19080s throwback feel this film has too. this movie is freakin awesome just do yourself a favor and watch it if you haven't! 

Favorite Character: David 
Favorite performance: Dan Stevens
Favorite part:

the halloween maze sequence

the-guest.gif

500x281_jump.gif

500x281_smoke.gif

df-07279.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlhhZIVhGw8

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 3

#21 The Normal Heart

the-normal-heart-786821l.jpg

following the outbreaking of the AIDS epidemic in the early 1980s, Writer, turned activist Ned Weeks, foughts for awareness and gay rights.

Mark Ruffalo blows through this movie like a storm, he is loud, unapologetic and in your face, it's the best work I've ever seen him do (granted I haven't seen, The Kids are alright, or Foxcatcher yet). this isn't exactly easy movie to watch, it's dark, depressing and in some cases downright scary. but I feel it covered what happened in that time (and is still happening, if a bit more controlled today) quite actually. not that I would know for sure, I wasn't there. amidst the dreariness and gloom there is a quite lovely and very sad love story in here though, Matt Bomer, is excellent playing the victim and love interest of the protagonist Ned Weeks. and Julia Roberts is better than I've seen her in years.  and the whole cast is pretty outstanding. despite it's premise, I found it not as biased as one might think, it's content was graphic, partying indulgence not in a right or wrong since, but how it was for many at the time, this movie was in your face and does have a play-like vibe. it's probably the most in-depth look I've seen on the AIDS virus that millions have subcomed to throughout the world it's a hard watch but I would highly recommend it. 

Favorite Character: Ned Weeks 
Favorite performance: Mark Ruffalo (matt Bomer really did deserve that golden globe win though.
Favorite part:

the marriage scene in the hospital it's beautiful and heartbreaking

normalheart5.gif

the-normal-heart-2.jpg

tumblr_nbjwhaQZlz1sx45xjo5_r1_250.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlH1QtFuDGk

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 2

#20 Starred Up

Starred+Up+Movie.jpg

Whoa, what a intense film this was. Jack O'Connell Plays Eric Love, and unstable and violent 19 year old who is put into an adult correctional facility, the same one his family is occupying, who wants to keep Eric in lane, and alive. Oliver Baumer played by Rupert Friend, enrolls Love, in prison counselling in hopes to help him and unearth the deep pain he carries with him. Jack O'Connell is outstanding here, totally convincing as a tormented teen, Ben Mendelsohn, who plays Jack father is excellent as well, and they both play off each other superbly. the film is very gritty and graphic, and gives an insightful look on what goes on inside british prisons and keeps you on the edge of your seat. it may drag a bit here and there but the climax was totally mind boggling, and you are given of the the most emotional sequences of the year. great film I am all on board with Jack O'Connell now and can't wait to see '71 and whatever else he does.

Favorite Character: Eric Love
Favorite performance: Jack O'Connell
Favorite part:

Neville rescuing Eric and the aftermath

Starred-Up.jpg

starred-up-bg-4.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZPxaBVRUB8c  

Edited by Kalo
  • Like 3