Kalo

Kalo's 54 films of 2014 countdown. (Countdown complete #1 on page 9)

Very interested to see what the top 3 brings, but i understand your difficulties of picking a number 1 film in a year with so many great films.

my top 3 are all incredibly different from each other. 

• Like 1

57fecf1d0b825027b08933b1f01d2e1e.jpg

I love sci-fi, especially Space opera, I also love emotionally driven films, and Interstellar was one of my most anticipated films of 2014, Inception is one of my favorite films of all time, so I did have pretty high hopes for this, but I wasn't sure, Christopher Nolan could do it again, I mean there was a lot of corn fields in those ads, Interstellar not only met my exaptations but it exceeded them.

everything about this movie was incredible (well almost). and I am a full fledged fan of Mr. McConaughey, his character Cooper drives this movie, and his relationship between him and his, Murph is the heart and soul of this film, they say love is the only thing that transcends time and space I fully believe that, and that is what the core message of this movie is, Cooper sets out to save humanity not as a race, but as people and individuals who deserves to have a life to be loved. and not have their legacy perish with time. both Jessica Chastain and Mackenzie Foy were great as murph at different ages, but I'd have to say that Mackenzie Foy's role had the most heart and she was incredible and. Christpher Nolan is one in my opinion a master filmmaker, sure maybe he used a touch more exposition than he needed to here and there, but this movie's concept is pretty complex, and needs a little explaining, (the only thing he needs to work on is maybe a bit more humor next time, that robot banter didn't quite cut it for me, but hey at least he tried) and the score, Hans Zimmer is an incredible Composer and interstellar would not be as good with it breathtaking scores, the use of organs with just brilliant and adds an organic feel to the film ( :P). calling this film my number three doesn't seem to sound right so I'll just say one of my favorites of 2014. cause after seeing this movie I did not think it possible I could like anything more. I really liked Casey Afflecks turn here too, and Anne hathaway was good, even if not her best work. yes maybe this isn't a perfect film and it has some issues, but it's so incredibly ambitious and powerful I don't think it does any good to get nitpicky. I based a lot of my life on experience, and this experience floored me. and the warm sequence and climax where just insane. I just loved this movie, it is one of my favorite movies of all time. 

My Grade: A+
Favorite Character: Cooper 
Favorite performance: Matthew McConaughey
Favorite part: S.T.A.Y. No time for caution.

AWARD WINNER! best original Score Hans Zimmer according to Kalo

o-INTERSTELLAR-TV-SPOTS-facebook.jpg

Matthew-McConaughey-Mackenzie-Foy-Inters

Matthew-McConaughey-in-space-suit-for-In

tumblr_ndllwdPzAa1tzjz2jo1_1280.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3zvVGJrTP8  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0madTQ5k8QQ

"Do not go gentle into that good night,
Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
Though wise men at their end know dark is right,
Because their words had forked no lightning they
Do not go gentle into that good night.
Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright
Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,
Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,
And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,
Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight
Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,
And you, my father, there on the sad height,
Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.
Rage, rage against the dying of the light." ~Dylan Thomas

Edited by Visor shades Kalo
  • Like 3

The spoiler tag won't open...

really? it works fine me. (well i liked the spoiler thing but if you can't open it. )

3#

57fecf1d0b825027b08933b1f01d2e1e.jpg

I love sci-fi, especially Space opera, I also love emotionally driven films, and Interstellar was one of my most anticipated films of 2014, Inception is one of my favorite films of all time, so I did have pretty high hopes for this, but I wasn't sure, Christopher Nolan could do it again, I mean there was a lot of corn fields in those ads, Interstellar not only met my exaptations but it exceeded them.

everything about this movie was incredible (well almost). and I am a full fledged fan of Mr. McConaughey, his character Cooper drives this movie, and his relationship between him and his, Murph is the heart and soul of this film, they say love is the only thing that transcends time and space I fully believe that, and that is what the core message of this movie is, Cooper sets out to save humanity not as a race, but as people and individuals who deserves to have a life to be loved. and not have their legacy perish with time. both Jessica Chastain and Mackenzie Foy were great as murph at different ages, but I'd have to say that Mackenzie Foy's role had the most heart and she was incredible and. Christpher Nolan is one in my opinion a master filmmaker, sure maybe he used a touch more exposition than he needed to here and there, but this movie's concept is pretty complex, and needs a little explaining, (the only thing he needs to work on is maybe a bit more humor next time, that robot banter didn't quite cut it for me, but hey at least he tried) and the score, Hans Zimmer is an incredible Composer and interstellar would not be as good with it breathtaking scores, the use of organs with just brilliant and adds an organic feel to the film ( :P). calling this film my number three doesn't seem to sound right so I'll just say one of my favorites of 2014. cause after seeing this movie I did not think it possible I could like anything more. I really liked Casey Afflecks turn here too, and Anne hathaway was good, even if not her best work. yes maybe this isn't a perfect film and it has some issues, but it's so incredibly ambitious and powerful I don't think it does any good to get nitpicky. I based a lot of my life on experience, and this experience floored me. and the warm sequence and climax where just insane. I just loved this movie, it is one of my favorite movies of all time. 

Favorite Character: Cooper 

Favorite performance: Matthew McConaughey

Favorite part: S.T.A.Y. No time for caution.

AWARD WINNER! best original Score Hans Zimmer according to Kalo

o-INTERSTELLAR-TV-SPOTS-facebook.jpg

Matthew-McConaughey-Mackenzie-Foy-Inters

Matthew-McConaughey-in-space-suit-for-In

tumblr_ndllwdPzAa1tzjz2jo1_1280.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3zvVGJrTP8  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0madTQ5k8QQ

"Do not go gentle into that good night,

Old age should burn and rave at close of day;

Though wise men at their end know dark is right,

Because their words had forked no lightning they

Good men, the last wave by, crying how bright

Their frail deeds might have danced in a green bay,

Wild men who caught and sang the sun in flight,

And learn, too late, they grieved it on its way,

Grave men, near death, who see with blinding sight

Blind eyes could blaze like meteors and be gay,

And you, my father, there on the sad height,

Curse, bless, me now with your fierce tears, I pray.

Rage, rage against the dying of the light." ~Dylan Thomas

You were doing so well and then you went and threw everything away so cloe to the end. :(

You were doing so well and then you went and threw everything away so cloe to the end. :(

I will not apologize for my list. it is beauty (but my next two might change your mind a bit) 

• Like 1

I like Interstellar very much but I don't think it is anything special. It's well-acted, it's technically very well made, it's well-paced, it's emotionally powerful - but that's it. It doesn't come together in the way I hoped for - something for which I hold the film's poor ending accountable. Tele used the word "fine" above, and I think that's the right word for me: it's a fine film, but nothing more.

the-way-he-looks-poster.jpg

There are no words.. for how absolutely happy this film made, me it's is pure bliss, it is a ride of emotions and by the time you are done you can not help but feel joy. this movie made me cry tears of joy it was so amazingly unbelievably good, I'm also probably the only person on this board who has seen it. so I probably should do a bit of exposition. Leonardo (played by Ghilherme Lobo) is a blind teenager living in Brazil, on longing for independence, he feels suffocated by his loving but overprotective parents, and wants to study abroad, when Gabriel, arrives at his school everything changes, his best friend Giovana, notices and begins to feel a bit jealous, emotions arise in Leonardo that he didn't knew existed, and ones he is not sure can be returned.

everything about this movie was beautiful, to story was very focused and intimate, and the direction is pure bliss. like leonardo's blindness the film seemed to highent all the other senses sound, touch feel, and smell, and it's so effortlessly  done you barely realize it's happening, the soundtrack was very fitting, the acting is superb and I can totally see why this film got all the praise it did (I believe it was brazil frontrunning campaign for best foreign film, but it probably was to small to have a big enough impact :( ) there is so much going on the way this film makes you feel Leonardo's emotions is masterful, and the suspense there is some serious suspense in this movie, and it really plays with your nerves. but when are then given one of the most rewarding, most beautiful, most joyous endings ever on film and its just poetic, this is a coming of age movie and it amazing. this movie was like watching a beautiful poem play before your eyes. watch it! (note it is based on the short film Eu Não Quero Voltar Sozinho) 

Favorite Character: Leonardo 
Favorite performance: Ghilherme Lobo
Favorite part:

The end.

AWARD WINNER! Best Foreign film (and basically best film of 2014) according to Kalo.

AWARD WINNER! Best Breakthrough performance Ghilherme Lobo according to Kalo 

thewayhelooks.jpg?w=670&h=377&crop=1

68ae584e8423d9bd6fcb297a3a39e125.jpg

hoje.jpg

8c05a582794cd35ad9282a49db1f6210.jpg

d21fe83854f2d92015ad246f08779ad6.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ardyebDVYw  

• Like 4