Kalo

Kalo's 54 films of 2014 countdown. (Countdown complete #1 on page 9)

I do like HTTYD2 a lot (maybe ;) ), but for me KFP2 is still the animated sequel to beat

I really like KFP2, but it's not even close, Toy Story 2, is probably my second favorite.

tumblr_lh5uisPwVG1qafrh6.gif

You guys are all nuts. TS3 is the best animated sequel by a big margin.

I only saw TS3 once in theaters, so I really need to watch it again, but I just didn't feel it, and was extremely disappointed with it.

• Like 1

I only saw TS3 once in theaters, so I really need to watch it again, but I just didn't feel it, and was extremely disappointed with it.

I thought it was great after seeing it in the cinema, but on second viewing, I realise that it's just mediocre.

(Don't hate me Empire  :ph34r: )

Edited by treeroy

I thought it was great after seeing it in the cinema, but on second viewing, I realise that it's just mediocre.  

the biggest problem I have with a lot of Pixar films is that they are boring. 

I find Toy Story 3, Finding Nemo, Cars and Up, all incredibly mediocre. and Cars 2 is just plain bad. 

Michael Keaton was great as Ken though, definitely my favorite thing about TS3.  

• Like 1

(Don't hate me Empire  :ph34r: )

the biggest problem I have with a lot of Pixar films is that they are boring. 

I find Toy Story 3, Finding Nemo, Cars and Up, all incredibly mediocre. and Cars 2 is just plain bad. 

Michael Keaton was great as Ken though, definitely my favorite thing about TS3.

3udy6NG.jpg

• Like 7

#11 Boyhood

boyhood-movie-poster1.jpg

I can remember back years and years ago (2006 or 2007 I think), I was searching IMDB. for future movies like wayyy out cause I like to find movies coming out, and I saw boyhood, and heard they were filming it over a twelve year period, I thought it sounded incredibly intriguing, as I love showing case things as time goes by, and I guess it kind of went out of my head. then I believe back last February I saw the trailer and I was like wow, it's that movie I heard of forever ago and it's finally coming out! I was super excited. and it was probably in my top 10 most anticipated films of the year. due to it not being vary available in my area, because of the disgustingly gross thing my area has with mainstream films (and every single family film ever released) and I didn't get to see it in theaters, but it when it was released on amazon instant early in December I bought it right away, and I was quite pleased, Boyhood has got to be the closet a film as ever gotten to feeling like real life, and it it felt like traveling through memories of someone's brain. the part where Mason comes home to find his mom sobbing in the garage for example of how a normal day can change in an instant and sometimes there is no buildup to things going crazy out of hand. the kids hanging out with their dad, like the restaurant scenes just everything felt so authentic, and somehow even though for the most part nothing that dramatic happens it is not boring at all, it's encapsulates you draws you in and makes you question the meaning of life. Patricia Arquette and Ethan Hawke were just sensational and out of all the supporting roles that I've seen from 2014. gave the best performances, especially Patricia Arquette, I think some people underestimate just how good Ellar Coltrane really was. the biggest winner by far though was director Richard Linklater, what he accomplished was unbelievable, he made it feel as though there was no director at all, which believe is a good thing, in this case anyways, this was the best direction of the year in my book, one of the best directed films ever. (even though this is lower than one other BP nominee on the list, I actually believe this one should win)

My Grade: A

Favorite Character: Mason 
Favorite performance: Patricia Arquette
Favorite part: it's hard to say, kind of the whole movie.

Award Winner Best Director Richard Linklater according to Kalo

Award Winner Best Actress in a Supporting role Patricia Arquette according to Kalo

Award Winner Best Actor in a Supporting role Ethan Hawke according to Kalo

hero_Boyhood-2014-1.jpg

boyhood-movie.png

boyhood-movie-review.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYFaghHyMKc

Edited by Visor shades Kalo
  • Like 3

also I think it's worth noting something I forgot to say, these are my favorite movies, and I do not necessarily believe they are the best quality wise (well it varies some) some are more personal preference. 

#10 Birdman 

birdman-poster-570x844.jpg

A washed up actor, who once played an iconic superhero, battles his ego and attempts to recover his family, his career and himself in the days leading up to the opening of a Broadway play.

I wanted to see this movie forever, but it wasn't playing anywhere near me forever, and then my Nephew saw and said it was the best movie he had ever seen (not that means too much he changed his favorite film like 5 times last year). but then finally it ended up playing at a theater near me. so I saw it! whoah! what I ride this was, Michael Keaton is at the top of his game here, and is astounding, definitely the performance of a lifetime for him, although there is one other actor who I thought was better in 2014, gasp! yup I said it. the entire cast is stacked just staked! Edward Norton stands out too here, as well Emma Stone, but the best thing about this movie, imo was the cinematography, it was unbelievable, Emmanuel Lubezki is magical, in fact it was so good, I wonder if it's kind of making the movie seem a bit better than it was. but I still loved this movie it was unlike anything I had ever seen before. and it was truly quite funny at parts. even though the story quite dark. the score was also incredible really high up there for me. the highpoint for me was the parade scene. this was just an insanely immersive fun ride. 

(note if you wanna be a stoker, Zach Galifianakis grow up in the town I am living in, I have met him and served him coffee before. I have also had some good talks with his mother who is a regular at the cafe I used to work at. yes I'm bringing. I'm also surprised this movie didn't play in that town, because they usually play every film that Galifianakis appears in ) 

Favorite Character: Riggan 
Favorite performance: Michael Keaton 
Favorite part: The Parade Scene. 

AWARD WINNER!! best cinematography Emmanuel Lubezki according to Kalo 

AWARD WINNER!! best sound according to Kalo

AWARD WINNER!! best sound mixing according to Kalo

giphy.gif

tumblr_n9l5h6p4xw1r091sko3_500.gif

tumblr_ndgjnj5Iz91r091sko4_500.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mj_dujWtsgY  

• Like 2

Hmm... I can't say I know what any of your top ten are off the top of my head.

Well except for Birdman ;)

really are you sure? there is one film I have been quite adamant about on these boards.

#9 Locke 

Locke-Movie-Poster.jpg

This is a story of how one mistake can change your entire life. 

The entire film is Tom Hardy, a car, the highway and a cell phone, what more could you asked for? Tom Hardy plays Ivan Locke, an upstanding citizen, cement contractor, and a loving husband. on one of the most important nights of his career. he must take leave, for something very personal and important for him to do, even though it means possibly risking everything he's built in is life 

Tom Hardy is insanely good in this film, and he has to be, without him there is no film. through an course of an hour and half you, see him go through a series of different emotions actions, all while driving a car. which i must give some praise to writer and director Steven Knight. for keeping this movie focused and intimate, just like it should. this was an emotional roller coaster ride, and it was deep and thrilling, i was on the edge of my seat, captivated the whole time, for a movie without, any action, any major set pieces and one on screen actor, that is an insane accomplishment, the cinematography was utilized nicely, capturing the visual feel exquisitely, just the little bit it did with the city lights and wet reflection roads, added texture and layers to the scene. This was the best performance I've ever seen Tom Hardy give. I'm just gonna say it Oscar snubary! (again) incredible, powerhoused compact film, the story sucks you in, the performance blows you away and the climax breaks your heart. if you're a fan of Hard your love it, if not, you will be afterwards. (at least you better be!)

Favorite Character: Ivan Locke

Favorite performance: Tom Hardy
Favorite part: the whole movie pretty much.

ff943d9d8a0a7b0e67a59244903b8006.jpg

tom-hardy-locke.gif

tumblr_n9hqfxPwJm1s89mq8o1_500.gif

• Like 2