Grade Alien  

61 members have voted

1. 1. What is your grade?

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F

So I've got the Anthology sitting in front of me in preparation for Isolation this Tuesday and I've never sat down and watched this all the way through. Director's Cut or Original? The original is curiously longer than the DC.

Of all the directors cuts, special editions or whatever for the Alien films, Alien 3's Assembly Cut is the only one that actually improves upon the original version.

• Like 1

It got so much better in the rewatch, it also helps that my taste has evolved a lot since the first time I watched the film.

The tension is palpable and the pace is incredibly tight. the visuals are top notch thanks to the out of this world blu-ray transfer, just mesmerizing.

Aliens Director's cut next.

Old rating - new rating
Alien 60/100 - 85/100
Aliens 80/100 -
Alien 3 90/100 -
Alien: Resurrection 40/100 - 

Edited by Goffe

Goffe what has happened to you? Prometheus and Alien 3 over Amien and Aliens. Plus your terminator grades, I can't look at you the same

Like I said, I had a pretty shit taste back when I watched the first 4 Alien films, that was 4 years ago.

I was pretty much like Ethan (minus loving things like Bee Movie and Transformers)

I have no excuse for Terminator though.

• Like 1

A classic, a flat out masterpiece. That very rare thing - a genre ('monster') film that doesn't really feel anything like it. It has the pace and intensity of a suspense thriller, and the scope & visuals of David Lean doing sci-fi. And at the same time it's utterly terrifying- Lambert's death is one of the most chilling ever.

Oh, and it birthed some of the most iconic 'stuff' of sci-fi history (the Alien, the Facehugger, the Chestburster, evil android Ash, and, of course, god damn RIPLEY!).

Like I said, I had a pretty shit taste back when I watched the first 4 Alien films, that was 4 years ago.

I was pretty much like Ethan (minus loving things like Bee Movie and Transformers)

I have no excuse for Terminator though.

What happened to you Goffe. You used to be someone I could trust.

• Like 1

Sci-Fi-Horror Week for me

#1: Alien

I love this movie. But i feel that i would like it even more if i found this film to be actually scary. Because its not. Its just very suspensfull. Ridley Scotts second best movie (imo) creates its own unique world, establishes different, interesting and likable characters and shows of great visuals in the first half - and the title star has not even appeared. I dont care if they showed the Alien for only 4 Min because the suit looked terrible or the budget was too small for more alien scenes - the moments when we dont see the alien but we know it is somewhere and could attack at any moment make this movie stand above your typical monster movie. Granted, its not as rewatchable as its (first) sequel and some scenes could have been a tad shorter but this will stand the test of time as one of the best SciFi Movies of all time.

9/10, A

Alien is an exciting point of origin for modern horror sci-fi. All the tropes are here, but this is when they are codified in a truly exciting manner. Scott directs with vigor, and the cast is consistently great. Weaver makes Ridley as iconic as she's always been called, but Kotto steals the show as his engineer who is secretly the smartest person on the crew. The alien effects hold up today, but more remarkable is the production design with remarkably beautiful elaborate sets that make the Nostromo come to life in a striking way. Alien remains a fascinating sci-fi film, but one can argue that the horror elements have gone away with time. However, it's still a rollicking thriller with memorable characters and solid direction. B

rewatched both of these yesterday and the day before.   Wow, it that a tough one to decide which one is better....Especially being two different visions.  That makes it most impressive.  I would have to say that Alien has less flaw than Aliens (just because it has less???)  hmm..i dunno.  About to watch 3 and 4 today, Prometheus tomorrow, then Covenant on Sunday.

Let me just say that I am not a Sci-Fi fan & I'm a big chicken at horror movies.  My Mom wanted to see this movie badly but my Dad would not go so she took me & my friend along with her.  I was tense from the get-go - was grossed out when the alien was stuck on John Hurt's face & when the alien popped out of his stomach I was truly horrified & sickened - I ran into the lobby for a bit to calm down.  It's not my cup of tea but it was brilliant - I really don't think I was that nervous, sickened & tense at a movie since.  I also loved the fact that Sigourney Weaver was so kick-ass in it - not often that a woman was the hero & lone survivor back then.  I still have trouble watching it when my husband or sons do - so intense.