Impact

Best Actor predictions-2015

what about hanks? he's the only big actor in the movie and has a lot of screen time.

It's definitely a possibility, but I feel like he'll just miss it.

anyone think Idris Elba could get a nom for Beasts of No Nation? or would he be a considered supporting role?  

It's definitely a possibility, but I feel like he'll just miss it.

anyone think Idris Elba could get a nom for Beasts of No Nation? or would he be a considered supporting role?

He's supporting unless they do category fraud because they think that can get Attah in.

After seeing Black Mass I think Depp should be able to grab a nomination. It's a solid movie, with solid reviews, it's going to line up good box office, and Depp's performance is pretty good (not elite, but he does disappear into the character). It all lines up for a nice comeback story that Oscar voters will eat up.

No chance at winning though.

He's supporting unless they do category fraud because they think that can get Attah in.

Yeah that would almost be as absurd as nominating Kevin Spacey for best supporting actor in usual suspects or giving Hailee Steinfeld best supporting actress in true grit. or Al pacino best supporting actor for The Godfather...  oh wait.. 

So...chances of Damon nomination?

I'd say very high. I think 7 actors can get in: Caine, Damon, DiCaprio, Depp, Fassbender, Hanks, and Redmayne (potentially more if Adam McKay's new movie is a contender). Depp and Fassbender are locks, and if The Revenant is as good as we all expect it to be Leo is in. Many consider Caine and Redmayne to be the last two spots, right now I have Damon instead of Caine.

I wouldn't say those are the only seven with a shot. The seven most likely, sure, but I'd say that there's potential for Bale (as you noted), Keaton (if they push him lead, which I'm not sure), Tom Courtenay (vet in a smaller, really well-liked movie- has yielded surprise noms for guys in the past), Abraham Attah (getting pushed apparently), and even Will Smith, if his movie is good. 

I feel like we should save all of these "no chance" posts for Nomination Day to look back on.

Feel free. ;)

The only way Damon has a way in is if The Martian gets a BP nod. Why would the give The Martian the populous genre BP nod over Mad Max?

That have premiered I'd say: Fassbender and Redmayne. I have Caine, Cranston and Rohrig ahead on my personal ballot. I haven't seen Attah, but he is getting better reviews than Depp even though he likely has no shot. That being said, I think Depp is certainly gunning for a nod whether I like it or not. It is just hard to call anyone but Fassbender a lock.

No matter how much I disliked Demolition, I wish they'd move that up to December so Gyllenhaal could get in. He is so good in it and probably is my favorite male performance of the year.

Edited by TStechnij

Why would the give The Martian the populous genre BP nod over Mad Max?

Man you got blinders on if you can't even see that possible eventuality. The Martian on paper is easily the more likely "populist" BP nod than Mad Max. And I loved Mad Max.

Edited by 4815162342
  • Like 2

I think Inside Out is in. Like top 5.

The current balloting way the Academy use is different than when they voted UP for a BP nom. UP and TS3 are the only animated films that got in under that system which was halted recently. Only Beauty and the Beast was a real top 5 choice.

They vote only on 5 films and not 10 and then resulted are tallied as per a pref. ballot.

So for IO to get in, it will need to be voted in as a top 5 film and not a top 10 film.

Possible? yes esp if other films continue to fall like what happened at TIFF. But a lock? No way with strong films like Revenant, Joy, Jobs, Spotlight, Carol, Hateful etc competing. 

Sasha stone wrote a recent article explaining the math behind this and that's why she's saying IO and Mad Max will have a hard time getting in.

Edited by MinaTakla
  • Like 1

The current balloting way the Academy use is different than when they voted UP for a BP nom. UP and TS3 are the only animated films that got in under that system which was halted recently. Only Beauty and the Beast was a real top 5 choice.

They vote only on 5 films and not 10 and then resulted are tallied as per a pref. ballot.

So for IO to get in, it will need to be voted in as a top 5 film and not a top 10 film.

Possible? yes esp if other films continue to fall like what happened at TIFF. But a lock? No way with strong films like Revenant, Joy, Jobs, Spotlight, Carol, Hateful etc competing.

Sasha stone wrote a recent article explaining the math behind this and that's why she's saying IO and Mad Max will have a hard time getting in.

Well Stone is a mess... Not as rough as Tapley, but doesn't have a great track record.

There will be more passion behind Inside Out than Spotlight and Hateful come Oscar season. You have to realize that Disney will be campaigning for this. Just look at AW: Inside Out has been in their top 6 for months and they are usually pretty good come September.

The Martian isn't going to get in because all the reviews seem to call it good not great and it's studio is Fox. They have The Revenant and Joy. Their intentions were never to campaign for awards with this.

• Like 1

Well Stone is a mess... Not as rough as Tapley, but doesn't have a great track record.

There will be more passion behind Inside Out than Spotlight and Hateful come Oscar season. You have to realize that Disney will be campaigning for this. Just look at AW: Inside Out has been in their top 6 for months and they are usually pretty good come September.

The Martian isn't going to get in because all the reviews seem to call it good not great and it's studio is Fox. They have The Revenant and Joy. Their intentions were never to campaign for awards with this.

True, I think Io has a chance but far from a lock and that's because of the Academy's incredible bias against animated films in BP..

It will need passion - more passion actually than Up or Toy Story 3 - for it to get in.

And it will need the Academy to think a bit outside the box for this and Mad Max too.

True, I think Io has a chance but far from a lock and that's because of the Academy's incredible bias against animated films in BP..

It will need passion - more passion actually than Up or Toy Story 3 - for it to get in.

And it will need the Academy to think a bit outside the box for this and Mad Max too.

The reason I think Max has a chance is because Youth and Brookltn are both kind of faltering so it may be FSL's first push. And, it should get a ton of below the line noms and those are all BP voters. The actors night even go for it too because of Theron and Hardy.