Plain Old Tele

Tele's 100 Favorite Movies aka "Comfort Food" (complete)

73. Evil Dead II: Dead by Dawn (1987)

In 1983, Sam Raimi sprang onto the scene with the low-budget and inventive EVIL DEAD. He intended it to be truly frightening and scary, but budget limitations occasionally hampered his vision. For the sequel, he realized that a better approach might be to go all out over-the-top comedy, and so the sub-genre "splat-stick" came to life. Bruce Campbell stars as Ash, a young man who visits a cabin in the woods with his girlfriend and their friends only to inadvertently unleash a deadly force of demons when they discover the Necronomicon (the Book of the Dead). Soon Ash is fighting for his life and his very soul itself. Featuring incredibly inventive camerawork, Campbell's gonzo performance, some excellent low-budget prosthetics and SFX work, gallons of fake blood, and incredibly gross and hilarious moments, this is one of the greatest low-budget movies ever made.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 6

72. Out of Sight (1998)

One of Soderbergh's absolute best: a sexy, funny, clever crime drama/comedy filled with great performances. Clooney is the charming bank robber, Lopez the federal agent he falls for with a fantastic supporting cast: Albert Brooks, Ving Rhames, Steven Zahn, Don Cheadle, Dennis Farina, the list goes on. The movie plays out in a non-linear way, trusting the audience to be smart and keep up, and the rest is just a joy to watch.

• Like 5

71. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

What do I really need to say? Everyone knows this movie. It's both more complex and simpler than what people think: the narrative is completely linear and -- although great wordless leaps are taken -- you can pretty easily suss things out. That being said, the ending contains multitudes.

Edited by Telemachos
  • Like 8

2001 is a masterpiece of filmmaking and storytelling. It's a great movie to have on any users top 100 all-time favorite movies list, as long as they don't find it boring, which I don't thankfully.

Edited by Fancyarcher

71. 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968)

What do I really need to say? Everyone knows this movie. It's both more complex and simpler than what people think: the narrative is completely linear and -- although great wordless leaps are taken -- you can pretty easily suss things out. That being said, the ending contains multitudes.

2001 is the best film I've ever seen (granted, I haven't seen a huge number of films, but still).

I think it's really interesting because the narrative in itself is essentially useless and isn't what the film is about. 

It's such a meticulously crafted film: every shot, every line of dialogue, contains layers upon layers of meaning. I'm SO glad I got to see it in the cinema last year.

70. Planes, Trains, and Automobiles (1987)

A very funny movie -- one of John Hughes' best -- featuring Steve Martin and John Candy at the top of their game. What's surprising isn't that it's funny, but the heart and underlying emotion. What starts out as a classic odd couple road trip scenario turns very sweet in the end, and it earns every moment.

• Like 7

69. Breaking Away (1979)

This awesome little movie isn't well-known now... and in fact when it came out it was a little underdog of a movie too. But it become one of the year's big hits, and got nominated for five Oscars (winning one for Best Screenplay). It manages to be both of a coming-of-age movie like DAZED AND CONFUSED and an uplifting sports saga. Dennis Christopher -- who plays the lead -- isn't that well-known now, but his three high-school buddies should be familiar to anyone here: Dennis Quaid, Daniel Stern, and Jackie Earle Haley.

• Like 2

68. My Man Godfrey (1936)

One of the great early screwball comedies... and it actually holds up well today. It's set during the Great Depression, where many people were devastated by  the collapse of Wall Street, but the super-rich maintained a life of privilege completely at odds with the rest of society. Carole Lombard is a naive and bubbly debutante in one of those wealthy families. During a dinner party game (where guests have to discover and bring back a wide variety of odd objects and creatures in a sort of treasure hunt), she brings back a homeless man (William Powell), and ends up falling for him. He's got a sensible head on his shoulders and he finds employment as the family's butler. Romance and wackiness ensue.

• Like 2

67. Arsenic and Old Lace (1944)

This was a huge Broadway hit before it became a movie. It's an black screwball comedy: Cary Grant is just trying to get married and start his honeymoon with his new bride, when he gets waylaid by his two sweetheart aunts and gradually comes to realize his entire family is not only mad, but possibly murderous as well. The body count rises quickly. Quick-paced, funny, with Grant as the straight man confronted with absolute insanity.

• Like 6

I think in my "mature age" I need to start finding some of these old classics.  I saw a lot of them when I was 12-16 but didn't appreciate them.  Hopefully things have changed.  

I'll never watch Citizen Kane again, so don't ask..

• Like 4

66. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (1988)

Michael Caine at his charming best, Steve Martin as his goofy best, and the two of them play rival con-men working the Riviera who get sick of competing each other and decide to take on one big challenge: they'll decide on a mark, and then whoever swindles her out of a million dollars wins... and the loser has to leave town. This movie is a great showcase for the two stars to each do what they do best, and they play off each other wonderfully.

• Like 2

65. After Hours (1985)

One of Scorsese's lesser known movies, and one that feels incredibly free of the expectations and demands of his higher-profile work. It's a gleefully black comedy about a yuppie who decides to hit a bar after work, gets to talking with a girl, decides to go to her place... and then things start to get weird and continually get weirder. The whole movie takes place over a single night, as Griffin Dunne starts out annoyed and ends up frantic. A non-stop parade of guest-stars show up to join the fun -- I won't ruin all of them.

• Like 4

64. Lethal Weapon (1987)

The movie that put Shane Black on the map and jump-started a whole sub-genre of buddy cop movies. So many characters, lines, and moments from this movie have become classics. Good clean R-rated action movie, 1980s-style. Terrific fun. The sequel is arguably even better, but the original has a special place in my heart.

• Like 11