Olive

Weekend 3/13-15 Official Estimates: Cinderella 70.1m, RAN 11m

One of the reasons POTC had so many land scenes is because Disney wanted to cut from the huge costs of filming on water. And even so, POTC4 still cost 250M.  Granted, Depp had a huge payment on that, but even so the budget is big. POTC 3 cost a reportedly 300M and let's be honest here, we all know that "reported budgets" are the lower end of the deal. And those are movies that made 1B, which an Ariel movie likely won't have a chance at doing.

They would probably have to film The Little Mermaid in a studio for most of the underwater scenes. because of the talking. and no Johnny Depp $50m star. the brand is really strong on it's own and a lot more broadly appealing to boys than something like Cinderella. in fact it would be quite easy to make it more action heavy and make it PG-13. The animated film itself would easily be rated PG today anyways. maybe not $1b. but I'd say $800m is easily within reach and with groundbreaking visuals making it an event film like Avatar who knows. I'm telling you that film is a gold mine waiting to happen if only given the right treatment. which would be darker, bigger and deeper. 

Edited by Kalo

They would probably have to film The Little Mermaid in a studio for most of the underwater scenes. because of the talking. and no Johnny Depp $50m star. the brand is really strong on it's own and a lot more broadly appealing to boys than something like Cinderella. in fact it would be quite easy to make it more action heavy and make it PG-13. The animated film itself would easily be rated PG today anyways. maybe not $1b. but I'd say $800m is easily within reach and with groundbreaking visuals making it an event film like Avatar who knows. I'm telling you that film is a gold mine waiting to happen if only given the right treatment. which would be darker, bigger and deeper. 

Apparently it is rumord he will get $95m for Pirates 5 :lol:

Apparently it is rumord he will get $95m for Pirates 5 :lol:

and that's why I lost all respect for him. he's not getting that every film he has starred since like the last pirates has bombed or underperformed. he has no star power anymore. if he ever did.

Edited by Kalo

A live-action Little Mermaid would indeed be a daunting task. I wonder if Weta's secret underwater FX stuff for the Avatar sequels could be used. And they built a prosthetic mermaid tail, they could conceivably use a physical one to at least get mo-cap and/or to green screen out the actors' lower bodies.

Even if they don't get the secret Cameron technology, it's still probably doable with dry-for-wet on wires. They're not going to film the actors underwater, they're obviously going to film them in a dry soundstage with green screen. If WB is going to make Aquaman, I would expect a Little Mermaid movie wouldn't be impossible.

Edited by TServo2049

Why? If Disney's willing to pay, why shouldn't he take that money? It's not like they're some tiny struggling company.

Because his heart doesn't appear to be in it anymore. and he has to ask for outrageous sums of money for these parts. and he is not worth that much. I mean sure I can understand if they are big they can and should ask for more. and five years ago maybe he could have. but he plays the same character over and over and over again. and people are growing tired of his clown act. 

and that's why I lost all respect for him. he's not getting that every film he has starred since like the last pirates has bombed or underperformed. he has no star power anymore. if he ever did.

Well, if Disney is willing to give him that kind of money he clearly has some star power. He got 20m last year for Transcendence so 95m for a movie that is all but certain to make over 1B is not that impossibly much.

I really don t see Sofia Coppola tackling such a daunting and complex shoot for The Little Mermaid.

I don t even know how they d do it with the curent technologies.

A complete movie underwater seems impossible on paper, with characters talking ? Could look ridiculous ...

Cameron s technology for Avatar is about doing mo cap under water, will Ariel and the other characters will be CG ?

• Like 1

Because his heart doesn't appear to be in it anymore. and he has to ask for outrageous sums of money for these parts. and he is not worth that much. I mean sure I can understand if they are big they can and should ask for more. and five years ago maybe he could have. but he plays the same character over and over and over again. and people are growing tired of his clown act. 

Again, 1B WW. US is just a part of the industry and clearly this franchise is more OS oriented.