baumer

Terminator Salvation

23 members have voted

1. 1. Grade Terminator Salvation

Grade: B

This movie is horribly underappreciated. I've noticed in the years since it's theatrical release that a greater appreciation for has emerged. It was "hip" and "cool" to bash on it at the time but away from the mob mentality a sizable amount have realized that it was indeed blasted unfairly.

It does have some flaws, hence my grade as well, but it deserved more than it achieved. The loony fanboy element helped to keep this from becoming a closing Terminator trilogy that sees us get to a point where Kyle Reese is sent back. Thus completing the Loop to the '84 film. Would probably also lay groundwork for spinoffs or loopholes to continue beyond as an alternate timeline.

there was a good plot somewhere, but its director didn't have a clue how to direct the film.

Most of the middle section was pretty damn good, from the landmine blowing up to the escape.

Too bad that the gorgeous visuals and excellent action scenes (climax aside) were wasted 

50/100

Edited by Goffe Ascending

there was a good plot somewhere, but its director didn't have a clue how to direct the film.

Most of the middle section was pretty damn good, from the landmine blowing up to the escape.

Too bad that the gorgeous visuals and excellent action scenes (climax aside) were wasted 

50/100

Interesting, not only you gave the 1st Terminator movie a very low score, but you actually gave a higher one to TS.

This is your post in the Terminator 1984 thread.

the only Terminator I had yet to see

Just bad, really bad. If I had to say something positive about this, it would be the final 5 minutes, that admittedly are excellent. 

I'm surprised I disliked the movie so much because I like all Cameron films

35/100

Terminator 2 next. Remember liking it a lot, but then again it has been years since I watched T2

Edited by vc2002

Nothing good about this installment of the Terminator franchise brought to you by critically acclaimed director McG(Charlie's Angels, This Means War, Ouija).  Terminator Salvation is just wooden as hell, loud, and stupid.  You can feel it begging you to care about the characters or whats gonna happen next from start to finish.  Its dullness makes Man of Steel look like the Shawshank Redemption.

At least Terminator 3 was mildly entertaining, unapologetically self-aware silly in parts, had okay performances, had Ahnold right before he got too old for the part, a decent villain, and an ending that was way better than it had any right in being.  Would I ever defend Terminator 3 as a great movie?  No, but I wasn't bored by it.

F

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 1

Interesting, not only you gave the 1st Terminator movie a very low score, but you actually gave a higher one to TS.

This is your post in the Terminator 1984 thread.

Yes, TS is better than T1.

T1 had laughable dialogue, one of the most cringeworthy sex scenes I've seen in a film, forced romance, pretty bland action sequences, the stop-motion didn't work for most part. Michael Biehn was meh and Arnold Schwarzenegger gave a godawful performance at the easiest role ever. 

Edited by Goffe Ascending

Yes, TS is better than T1.

T1 had laughable dialogue, one of the most cringeworthy sex scenes I've seen in a film, forced romance, pretty bland action sequences, the stop-motion didn't work for most part. Michael Biehn was meh and Arnold Schwarzenegger gave a godawful performance at the easiest role ever. 

giphy.gif

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 1

At least Terminator 3 had a decent villain.

The T-X was an incredibly underwhelming villain. Robert Patrick had some charm and affability mixed in with his cold serial killer behavior. Kristanna Loken was just a vapid black hole inside a woman's body. They could have done so much with the idea of a female Terminator infiltrator and they just defaulted to monotone hot chick blows up stuff with no expression or reactions.