Olive

WEEKEND ESTIMATES: Home 54m , GH 34.6m, Insurgent 22.1m, Cind 17.5m (official)

So who's side are you on?

After reading your post, I'm a wee bit confused.

i'm on the side of never supporting movies that are racist/sexist/homophobic/transphobic/ableist/etc/etc/etc. at the same time i'm against correlating intelligence with what movies you like because most commonly it's movies "for girls" or "for black people" that are said to be "for dumb people" by elitists.

so i coincidentally agree with this ando person that people shouldn't be supporting get hard but i wholeheartedly disagree with them that it's because it's for unintelligent people. rather i think no one should support get hard because it looks to be racist and homophobic.

iSyyQgy3VR3hU.gif

• Like 1

i'm on the side of never supporting movies that are racist/sexist/homophobic/transphobic/ableist/etc/etc/etc. at the same time i'm against correlating intelligence with what movies you like because most commonly it's movies "for girls" or "for black people" that are said to be "for dumb people" by elitists.

so i coincidentally agree with this ando person that people shouldn't be supporting get hard but i wholeheartedly disagree with them that it's because it's for unintelligent people. rather i think no one should support get hard because it looks to be racist and homophobic.

iSyyQgy3VR3hU.gif

And where did you conclude this from, sis?

I_wanna_see_the_receipts.gif

• Like 1

And where did you conclude this from, sis?

I_wanna_see_the_receipts.gif

well there's a multitude of criticism you can find on your own through google such as this:

“Prison is not funny,” Boyce D. Watkins, PhD told TheWrap. “It’s really not funny for black people, especially black men because black men are the most incarcerated group of human beings on the planet… I’ve heard stories about people going to prison and being raped repeatedly, and catching HIV because they were being sexually assaulted,” added Watkins who is known as “The People’s Scholar,” for his commentary on social justice.

but i haven't seen the movie so i don't have specific examples. i did watch, for example, american sniper though, and i know that movie was racist, but people (including on these forums) still praised and supported it so my commentary on identifying and rejecting problematic movies is more general rather than in reference to specifically get hard.

But can you name your senators? Can you, Baumer?! Can you?!

I haven't read the whole thread so I am missing out on the joke, but yes I can name many of the Senators, past and present.

Erik Karlsson:  defense

Bobby Ryan:  Winger

Kyle Turris:  winger

Danny Heatly:  Winger

Daniel Alfredsson:  legend

Jason Spezza:  winger

The Question is Tele, can you name your Kings?  Well can u?  

• Like 3

Racism etc doesn't affect a movie look at Django Unchained and a long list of films that have done well as well as films that have made fun of homosexuals or people in general South Park:Bigger, Longer,and Uncut back in 1999 did successful and featured a gay Saddam. By the way controversies go either way for the general audience either they are blindsided and don't even know what's up or they will go see it to see to what's it all about.

Vince Vaughn has to be pretty upset over the mostly successful weekend results for "Get Hard."  His recent comedies get trashed by critics and then flop financially.  Kevin Hart's work also gets trashed, but his audience seems to stick by him.

There's a difference between most of Vaughn's recent films and Hart's.  Harts, for the most part, are pretty hilarious.  Get Hard had me rolling in the aisles and The Wedding Ringer is all kinds of funny.  Critics, as have been proven time and time again, don't mean that much.  Hart has a following because he's funny.  That doesn't mean that every film he does will be funny but he puts out a solid effort every time.

I won't be shocked if Get Hard somehow manages to net 30-35 million in its OW, despite the horrible average score of 34 on Metacritic, and a bunch of 1 star reviews.  There are a decent number of people in America whose favorite TV shows to watch are Maury Povich, Jerry Springer, and Jersey Shore.  

Are you for real?  You don't even see 99% of the movies you trash so what gives you the right to tell us what we should and shouldn't see.

This is not new. But it's ok. If Mods want to they'll get him.

Admittedly I haven't read every post in this thread. Please report things you find questionable -- I can't guarantee that we will always take action against every reported post, but that's the one way to guarantee the staff will look at it and discuss.

• Like 1

I like a few of them myself.  Specifically Stranger Than Fiction and Anchorman.  But anything that has a 34 on Metacritic is for the bottom feeders of society. Sorry, but it just is.

Quiz the people in line to see this opening weekend and ask if them if they can name one of the U.S. Senators from their own state.  You will get very telling results.

Ok, I got it now Tele.  Ando being Ando.  

Why do I picture Ando looking like this:

a-fish-called-wanda-tape-1306.jpg?w=620

• Like 1

Admittedly I haven't read every post in this thread. Please report things you find questionable -- I can't guarantee that we will always take action against every reported post, but that's the one way to guarantee the staff will look at it and discuss.

Sounds like a plan.

• Like 1

I haven't read the whole thread so I am missing out on the joke, but yes I can name many of the Senators, past and present.

Erik Karlsson: defense

Bobby Ryan: Winger

Kyle Turris: winger

Danny Heatly: Winger

Daniel Alfredsson: legend

Jason Spezza: winger

The Question is Tele, can you name your Kings? Well can u?

First of all, I'm American and we frown on royalty. Secondly, they're all foreigners and Finnish and Estonian and stuff. Except one guy named Quicksilver or something and another guy named Dough (or something).

uh.... Kopitar, Quick, Doughty....... Uh.....

• Like 2

I like a few of them myself. Specifically Stranger Than Fiction and Anchorman. But anything that has a 34 on Metacritic is for the bottom feeders of society. Sorry, but it just is.

Quiz the people in line to see this opening weekend and ask if them if they can name one of the U.S. Senators from their own state. You will get very telling results.

If only we were all as intelligent as you, Ando.

(And I'm willing to attempt this.)

Edited by Alpha

I get confused and then angered when I hear people say that a film is offensive of that it's racist or that it's homophobic or that it's misogynistic and so on and so on.  There's nothing wrong with making jokes about race or about one's sexuality or their gender or what have you.  They're jokes.  People are too worried these days about offending someone.  I say fuck that....if you get offended by a black joke or a homosexual joke, that's on you, not on the person who wrote it or made the film.  It's okay to laugh at the expense of others.   A lot of comedy, some of the best comedy, is about making fun of others.  And when you are alone and don't have to worry about others judging you, my guess is you laugh at those jokes but then some put on a show in public.

Get Hard is far from racist and it's not homophobic just because it talks about getting raped in prison or because Will Ferell can't suck a dick.  

• Like 9

intelligence has nothing to do with liking movies but there is something to be said for in this case being able to laugh at problematic humor without feeling bad. that doesn't automatically make you a horrible person it just means you haven't yet evaluated/understood the negative effect for example racism in the media can have in the real world. i believe probably over 90% of people have the capacity to better themselves and come to realize they shouldn't support problematic movies, shows, celebrities, etc, but considering the general atmosphere that social justice isn't ~cool~ people are usually steered away from that kind of personal improvement, which is unfortunate.

iWuMVn6FVchcV.gif

i'm seeing some unlikely people liking this so i just want to clarify that with the bolded line i meant "being able to laugh at problematic humor without feeling bad" is not a good thing and people need to learn to not find problematic stuff funny.

anyway yay home!!! i hope it breaks out get that 200m!

tumblr_inline_nlllrfy9Li1re8wlc.gif

tumblr_nfk3chWreJ1r2zw64o1_250.gif

tumblr_nfixe4inUX1ssb29qo1_250.gif

tumblr_inline_mwr7r20lQc1s91r5s.gif

iA2GeBy0xc60V.gif