ironrobertman

Is Disney Scaring Every Other Studio In Sight?

How is this greed?  They where selling at a price the consumer was buying them at.  More then that they had a MSRP about a quarter of what VHS had.  All dvds where priced for consumers and not a commercial (rental) market.  The first week of release basically every major retailer where selling them as a loss leader at 15 bucks.  And they had huge profits only because the cost where booked elsewhere and their only costs where basically disk and returns. 

The music industry died for one reason only piracy.  They also did not gouge and boo hoo on anyone that did not go to Best Buy or Circuit City the week of release and get the CD for 7 dollars (up to about 98/99) and 10 dollars after that. 

Seems like 100 billion profit on 150 billion sales is a out of proportion profit margin to me.

But I'm sure they are doing fine...nothing to worry about.   They can do what they want at this point...I jumped out of their game a couple of years ago.   The Netflix model is the future.

I would say that Disney wasn't a well run studio, which is why they needed to buy Marvel and Lucasfilm. Disney was successful at the BO, but they weren't the best run studio. However, those purchases not only gave Disney IP, but it gave them talent. John Lassetter is now running WDAS and Pixar both extremely well. Marvel is being well run by Kevin Feige. Lucasfilm is being well run by Kathleen Kennedy. That's a lot of top talent.

That's been my perception of them as a studio in general.   10 years ago I ignored Disney....now it seems like they are releasing 3 of my most anticipated movies every year.    I actually grew up hating Disney.  (for hoarding their cartoon characters while WB let the kids see Bugs and friends every Saturday morning)   So this has been a huge turnaround for me.

With fox putting out juggernaut 2 and 3 and battle angel and cameron as the king of the world..,, Disney better be on guard of fox. they have lots of tentpoles. And any film epic with camerons name on it. Is a Destroyer of disney dominance

Even if those movies would do as much as you imply. That's still only one movie per year tops. That's nothing to be afraid of. If Cameron sticks to his Christmas release dates, then Disney is rather safe. Disney is busy claiming summer and November.

• Like 1

Seems like 100 billion profit on 150 billion sales is a out of proportion profit margin to me.

But I'm sure they are doing fine...nothing to worry about.   They can do what they want at this point...I jumped out of their game a couple of years ago.   The Netflix model is the future.

It is an appearance of huge margins due to the cost being on a different balance sheet.  The cost being the price of production for a film and most of the marketing for a film which is not showing up on the home entertainment side.  Or to make it simpler the 200 million dollar it cost to make Frozen is not included under this profit. 

In the real world the death of disk has cost studios almost half of their margins.  They used to run about a 12 percent margin now they are down to around 6-7 percent. 

Even if those movies would do as much as you imply. That's still only one movie per year tops. That's nothing to be afraid of. If Cameron sticks to his Christmas release dates, then Disney is rather safe. Disney is busy claiming summer and November.

I don't think the Avatar sequels will exceed $500b either way.