PDC1987

Diversity and Gender Representation in Movies

However Martin is more based on reflecting it's time period.

Like if a movie was made on the mongol invasion. Women would not be treated favourable at all in the film. Does it go against women then?

Folks will say this is based on medieval history, though really, it’s based more on medieval myth, and of course, once you throw dragons and active godly magic into the mix you pretty much signal that you don’t have to base your fantasy (key word: fantasy) story on anything, really. (But “it’s based on history!” is always a good crutch for lazy storytelling, so whenever an editor or critic challenges you, don’t forget to say loud and say it proud.)

I do not understand so many terrible things are shown on TV every day.

Yet in every show a rape is what makes people lose their minds.

Imo is better story telling if sansa was treated to a romantic love making instead?

Edited by Lordmandeep

A discussion of rape and sexual violence, through the lens of GAME OF THRONES and FURY ROAD.

http://terribleminds.com/ramble/2015/05/19/we-are-not-things-mad-max-versus-game-of-thrones/

Well that article could have waited until the end of the season, considering what's going to happen.

In the books at least GRRM generally does a good job of using it to reflect the inherent misogyny and patriarchy that still infects many modern societies and religions. The show is somewhat tone-deaf at times in that regard.

The whole argument is pointless.

The argument is rape is so bad it should not be shown on TV.

The argument is that if rape is shown over and over it is seen as being normal or okay on such TV shows.

Using that logic we should see murder incest and many other crimes as being okay by now.

Using that argument mass murder and mutilation should not be shown.

My reason for being against the issue is not that I disagree that such scenes are a bit too much.

I just fail to see why one crime is focused on while far worse things are shown in TV.

Unless people are saying now that marital rape is worse then murder.

The argument is that if rape is shown over and over it is seen as being normal or okay on such TV shows.

Using that logic we should see murder incest and many other crimes as being okay by now.

My reason for being against the issue is not that I disagree that such scenes are a bit too much.

I just fail to see why one crime is focused on while far worse things are shown in TV.

Where in the article does it say so?

You must have read a totally different article than I did.

I would extent the argument, though. Imho both sex, rape and violence has become an end in itself way too often on GoT (and the books as well).

It is neither sexist nor is it glorifying violence - as some shallow critics argue. But this article does not belong to these shallow ones.

• Like 2

There are still massive misunderstandings in culture about what "rape" actually is, and portraying it in a fashion like GOT did can trivialize it and make it hard for a progressive discussion to occur. Millions of men don't consider what Ramsay Bolton did to be "rape" (even though it clearly was), because it was a husband doing something with his wife. So putting that scene up on screen in that fashion can lead to more confusion and more toxic discourse. Murder isn't like that. Murder is cut and dry. Everyone knows what murder is and that it's a bad thing. There's no way to trivialize it or complexify it- showing murder is just murder. Rape is a whole different ball of wax. I certainly am not mad at GOT for it- even though it had some icky sociocultural issues, I do think that it was not intended wrong and really was just a good way to further show that Ramsay Bolton is an evil, sadistic fuck, honestly. It did make me root for Sansa even more to kill the guy.

I think I do agree got relies to much on it.

Downton Abbey did a better job. The most likeable loveable character was raped.

Then she never told the police.

Many people found that bad however imo in the end it really showed a more realistic view about that issue at that time.

It's not movies, but FIFA 16 will be the first FIFA game (since the first, 22 years ago) to feature women players. Just thought this was noteworthy since its still a media platform. And its not because "the feminist agenda is pushing it on them" or because "they need to fill a gender/race quota". They're doing this because like I said, women play profession soccer too; theres women teams, and even the all-female World Cup, so this is good to see. 

Could help change the video game climate, but we'll see. But yeah, corruption issues aside, good to see FIFA doing this. Sorry, I know this isn't movies, thought it was cool diversity news.

Edited by Jandrew
  • Like 1

It's not movies, but FIFA 16 will be the first FIFA game (since the first, 22 years ago) to feature women players. Just thought this was noteworthy since its still a media platform. And its not because "the feminist agenda is pushing it on them" or because "they need to fill a gender/race quota". They're doing this because like I said, women play profession soccer too; theres women teams, and even the all-female World Cup, so this is good to see. 

Could help change the video game climate, but we'll see. But yeah, corruption issues aside, good to see FIFA doing this. Sorry, I know this isn't movies, thought it was cool diversity news.

I heard about this, to be fair I couldn't care less about diversity in video games because most of the games I play aren't centred towards any gender. When I play fifa I couldn't care less whether its a female im controlling or a male, its still the fucking same lol. Most first person shooters now require you to choose your gender anyways 

I heard about this, to be fair I couldn't care less about diversity in video games because most of the games I play aren't centred towards any gender. When I play fifa I couldn't care less whether its a female im controlling or a male, its still the fucking same lol. Most first person shooters now require you to choose your gender anyways

The FIFA games have been out since 93 and this is the first year theyre doing this, thats why people care. Doesnt matter if you intend on using them or not, its cool to still have the option.

The FIFA games have been out since 93 and this is the first year theyre doing this, thats why people care. Doesnt matter if you intend on using them or not, its cool to still have the option.

I know but it doesn't effect gameplay lol, I could see why a company would want to make a story lines game with strong female characters but with Fifa its just a bunch of object kicking a ball around, it seems pointless.

I know but it doesn't effect gameplay lol, I could see why a company would want to make a story lines game with strong female characters but with Fifa its just a bunch of object kicking a ball around, it seems pointless.

Its not pointless, because theres a thing called womens pro and national soccer, which has been around before the first game was released, 22-years-ago. If it doesnt effect you, well congrats? But many people appreciate the game for more than "objects kicking a ball" and understand this is something long overdue.

Its not pointless, because theres a thing called womens pro and national soccer, which has been around before the first game was released, 22-years-ago. If it doesnt effect you, well congrats? But many people appreciate the game for more than "objects kicking a ball" and understand this is something long overdue.

But fifa is literally just objects kicking a ball. It doesn't matter if you're playing as a man, women or a fucking cyborg, its still exactly the same. The biggest complaint is that there's no games centred around females, sport games don't have a story.

Still, we all know women don't play fifa anyways lol.

But doesn't FIFA have a system that somewhat simulates the strengths and weaknesses of the players portrayed?

So of course it would make a difference, as the female players will have their particular attributes.

Funnily, the only person I play FIFA with (or is it Proevolution Soccer... no idea) is a woman.

But doesn't FIFA have a system that somewhat simulates the strengths and weaknesses of the players portrayed?

So of course it would make a difference, as the female players will have their particular attributes.

Funnily, the only person I play FIFA with (or is it Proevolution Soccer... no idea) is a woman.

Players run a tad bit faster and its only noticeable for a few stand out players. Even then it doesn't always work, I think fifa has its own thing I like to call 'fifa rape' In which you can take hundreds of shots with your best striker at a shitty goal keeper and watch him save every fucking one then witness a sloppy goal against your badass keeper from a shitty defender. Then if you concede a goal the morale makes your players play even worse. I hate seeing a game where you've had about 30 shots on target and have lost 1-0 to a guy whos only had one shot all game.

As for playing fifa with a women, she's clearly that rare breed, she's what i'd like to call a unicorn and needs to be further examined, I'd like to run some tests on her.

Edited by jessie

No, but I was sure you would be interested in this "anomaly" as you are such an expert on general and public tastes.  ;)

Well it doesn't take a genius to realise that the majority of gamers who play fifa are men, most likely over 95% lol