efialtes76

Tuesday numbers

The only thing I really hate about BOM/BOT forums is the incessant need for short-cutting movie titles. I hate having to sit and wonder what "TTSS" stands for. :P

+1It's not that many extra key strokes, especially when so many movies seem similar and then abbreviations are used on movies from 4,5,6++ years ago. This isn't a courtroom where we need to type like a stenographer.I never bothered to figure out what TTSS is still and it's probably a newer film.

+1It's not that many extra key strokes, especially when so many movies seem similar and then abbreviations are used on movies from 4,5,6++ years ago. This isn't a courtroom where we need to type like a stenographer.I never bothered to figure out what TTSS is still and it's probably a newer film.

While I agree that using abbreviations for older movies that aren't already referenced in a discussion is frustrating, I see no reason why abbreviations should not be used when the reference is clear or easily identified. This is a daily numbers thread, so clearly the abbreviation refers to a film currently in release and it isn't that difficult to look at, say, the previous weekend's chart on BOM to scan for what matches the abbreviation. If you're too lazy to do that, that's your problem. Frankly, if you can't identify a current movie in the daily numbers thread by its abbreviation, it's probably not a movie you care about anyway, so why not just ignore it.

If you're too lazy to do that, that's your problem. Frankly, if you can't identify a current movie in the daily numbers thread by its abbreviation, it's probably not a movie you care about anyway, so why not just ignore it.

Cause I really shouldn't have to toggle and scan but I did exactly the last part. Remember I said "I still didn't bother to look it up".I was just agreeing with another and wow did the 'grudge' parade start.Also, I guess it depends on how well and what speed you type but it's really not that hard. Better yet I've seen posters do something like Tinker/Spy for long titles.Anyway, be cool.

Cause I really shouldn't have to toggle and scan but I did exactly the last part. Remember I said "I still didn't bother to look it up".I was just agreeing with another and wow did the 'grudge' parade start.Also, I guess it depends on how well and what speed you type but it's really not that hard. Better yet I've seen posters do something like Tinker/Spy for long titles.Anyway, be cool.

Yes, I gathered that you had just ignored it initially. But then you took the effort to second the complaint. So because you don't want to "toggle and scan" just once, you want everyone else to have to use the full or almost full title of every movie every time? I'd guess at least 95% of the people on the site (and more if you narrow it down to the people who actually care) can follow the abbreviations for current release movies just fine. And sure it doesn't take too much time or effort to type up one full title once, but having to do it for every movie title in every post you write would add up pretty quickly, even if you aren't a slower typer. So I'd say the weight of inconvenience in making a few people check what an abbreviation stands for once is significantly lower than forcing everyone else on the site to type out the full title of that movie every time they need to use it. Edited by Chrestomanci

No one is talking about WBAZ, I think it's performing really well. Obviously won't match WH or GWTDT in the end, but it's right up there so far. I think TTSS should have gone wide a month before, there's not enough time to create buzz for Oldman's performance, so won't get an Oscar nom, which is shame.