Dementeleus

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

Can't that spillover to Sunday?

Mexico.

Sure, but really it's just distributed across the gross.  Some people went Friday night instead, some will go Sunday morning, and some will go during the weekdays.  

Seriously. Even if you really are, just keep it to yourself. You look foolish and nitpicky. 

I think it should consider itself lucky it's even close to the first movie's opening day.

For real; the marketing was noticeably worse, and Furious 7 released a lot closer than Hunger Games did to it

It's hilarious to look at people's prediction in the AoU > DH2 OD club :rofl: :

Cap's Kooky Quartet

Snoopy of Suburbia: 110M (115M)

Warmaster506: 110M

mahnamahna: 110M
Sythus: 101M (108M)

Neo: 106M

Empire: 105M

Alucard: 101M

Ithil: 101M

JohnnyGossamer: 101M

druv10: 98M

Ray G: 98M

Infernus: 96M

Deathlife:95M

FZY: 95M

A District 3 Engineer: 95M

Blankments: 95M

Gokai Red: 92M

Johnny Storm: 100.616M (92M)

Captain Jack Sparrow

Orestes

BKB

treeroy

Shaldun

acetabulum7

Cheesy Poofs

Clef Ment

Brilliant Dynamite Neon

Ruthie

Talkie

Kalo

eXtacy

The Stingray

Seduh

Hufflepuff Badgers

Age of Robertron: 96M

Mango: 80M-85M

The Stingray

ChD

Ethan Hunt

James

Raphael Potter

Wormy

Forgot to add, but even the boy who lived was in.

The Spurs game tonight might explain why the San Antonio Pallaudium was running 40% ahead of big NYC theaters last night. All the Spurs and Avengers fans in San Antonio figured they better watch the thing last night because they've got a playoff game to focus on today.

Good point.  

Kinda feels like 2012. I wasn't even interested in box office back than but reading a few threads of the time its clear that Everybody thought it will be the year of Dark Knight Rises and Avengers came out on top. Its the same with F7 and AOU this year.

Dark Knight Rises had a bit more going on that... and it's definitely not going to be the year of Furious 7 lol

Aside from the discrepancies in last night's numbers, I still have to look at the history of Marvel movies holding better than expected over the course of the weekend because of their insane family appeal. Not just Avengers, but Iron Man 3, Spider-Man 3, etc. all had strong Saturdays and/or Sundays. I'd be slightly surprised if it fell below $200m for the weekend, and I still think the record's definitely in play.

That being said... nothing wrong with lowering expectations!

Edit: For whatever it's worth, Disney is also still projecting $200-210 million. They're generally pretty accurate, but we'll see.

This. If you haven't liked this go back and do so.

While 84M is still the second biggest number ever, it is kinda shocking to wake up to after all the hype last night. I won't gloat and gloat if my 195 comes true, but i will say I hope this weekend has taught us to keep things in perspective. $250M OW??? 650 totals? Didn't someone create an Age of Ultron all time club? We have to predict with more insight and less fanyboyism. 

Everyone would love to see a big flashy 250M OW, but seriously, going from 207 to 250 in a 3 year span? No matter how much a movie is loved, we know that's not going to happen. And it shouldve always been obvious that this beating TA1 was always going to be a bigggggggggggg stretch. Same with TDK to Rises. People want to keep going on about the shooting (you really should let it go, peoples lives were more important than BO numbers), but without it, Rises still wouldn't have came close to TDK. TDK and TA set impossible bars. You could even say the same about SM1.

You have to use more real world logic and metric. And you have to hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. For a lot of you, under 200M was a ZERO percent possibility. You can't do that. You still have to assume it could happen, while hoping for over 200M. None of us are physic, but we all understand anything can go, so lets act like it.

And people also have to remember that nothing is official, till its official. You may turn in you exam paper at 6PM, but the professor isn't gonna due anything with it until 12, when its officially due. President Cheeto may win the preliminary votes, but until they do recounts and all precincts are closed, nothing is official, President Llama can still win. I love RTH, Deadline, Variety, etc, but you have to remember theyre all still estimates. Don't mock RTH for being so far off, he never said it was 100%, so we can't keep taking it as so. Once Mojo post the number or Exhibitor send outs the tweet: you can lock and seal it. Oh well. 

So no one should see this is as disappointing. #2 opening of all time, that's uh...really solid. Problem is you have to put things in perspective, and predict and expect with the real world, not what numbers you want to see. Hopefully this will carry on to BvS, SW7 ($200m OW in December predicts, really? Here we go again), all other Marvels, Hunger Games, Bond, Fast, etc. Big numbers are fun, but having a little more sense would suck out some of the disappointment and pessimism that we seem to see repeated.

:worthy:

Nice!

The human brain is weird.   All these various numbers seem to morph into different things depending upon circumstances.    75% RT score?   That was "bad" when the movie was sitting in the 80s.   75% becomes positive when the reviews fell to 71% and then rose back up.    Same exact number either way.    :lol:

Now we have an 84 million OD number to play with.   Higher than TA...so that's awesome, right?   Not so fast!   "Expectations"!   Somehow beating TA and doing the second highest OD ever is a "fail".      Wow....really?    Truly a great example of how fast people become numb to things.   We do that in daily life too as we are so used to all the miracles of modern life that a good number of people are convinced "things are getting worse all the time".

There is a kind of beauty in the RTH legend beginning with TA and then his predict perhaps being off this time.  (It happens...no insult)

And boy is Noctis fun to watch!    He certainly can list every single advantage AoU had but of course won't mention the advantages Potter had.   You think a Friday in July is a bit of an advantage over a Friday in May?    B)     And of course the "adjusting" game suddenly stops at Potter too.  Potter doesn't set that record in the 70s....but let's not bring up the inflation, theater count, and mass media advantages Potter enjoyed.   ;)

BKB...don't get banned.  You're fun to watch too.   You aren't going to enjoy the 2nd biggest OW of all time and that's amazing.

But this thread is really about people watching...let's not lie.

• Like 4

But he doesn't know any of this better than anyone else and to come in THAT low in difference compared to yesterday is a bit baffling.. 10-15M difference is quite a bit Tele.. From this point on, I'm just not going to put a lot of stock in this guy like others appear to..

He said 89-93 late last night.  That's 5-9% off from the morning estimate, and that's pretty reasonable as far as I'm concerned.  

• Like 1

But he doesn't know any of this better than anyone else and to come in THAT low in difference compared to yesterday is a bit baffling.. 10-15M difference is quite a bit Tele.. From this point on, I'm just not going to put a lot of stock in this guy like others appear to..

"Better than anyone else"? Yes, man, he does. Trust me on this.

You're welcome to think whatever you want, but if you put Rth's projections up against anyone (here on the forums or actual sources reported by any of the trades), he'll be at the top.

• Like 6

It's not about knowing the numbers. It's about extrapolating from real-time data. Let's say it's afternoon on the west coast. The movie has probably done less than half of its daily business so far. So, you look at the matinee and early afternoon numbers, and you look at presales and overall showtimes, and you extrapolate using comps of other, similar movies. So in this case, Rth (and the other sources for DHD, Variety, etc) probably used AVENGERS as a comp, given ULTRON was performing along similar lines earlier in the day. The strong presales and expanding showtimes indicated a strong evening turnout... and that ultimately ended up being wrong.

I think presales are becoming a bigger component of weekends than 3 years ago. Fifty Shades, Cinderella, Insurgent and now Avengers have all had bigger estimates at the start and reduced as the day went on thanks to presales I guess.

He said 89-93 late last night.  That's 5-9% off from the morning estimate, and that's pretty reasonable as far as I'm concerned.  

Which number is being used for the BSG????  :P