Dementeleus

AVENGERS Official Wknd Estimates: 191M - Disney

Can the mods please allow a WWW thread? I really want to read that

That is easy everyone went crazy in their expectations.  At best it was going to be right around the firsts OW and it was always going to be more frontloaded because that is what happens most of the time.   

If I had to guess, probably somewhere between the IM3 and CA2 multiplier. Maybe something like $480m. 

I wonder if anyone put, like, 485M as the total in the summer game

• Like 2

If I had to guess, probably somewhere between the IM3 and CA2 multiplier. Maybe something like $480m.

Right where I had it at personally too...but of course I just put a flat 500 in the BSG...

I just found out that our final attendance today was 3792.

That means we actually DROPPED from Friday. In my 5 years with the theater, I have never seen something like that. Besides Christmas Eve falling on a Saturday of course.

If only I had a Perfect Storm gif to drop right there :(

Edited by Boner Omega
  • Like 3

That is easy everyone went crazy in their expectations.  At best it was going to be right around the firsts OW and it was always going to be more frontloaded because that is what happens most of the time.   

Well, that's the rational response. But WWW threads aren't rational beasts

Yep. Everything going on today sportswise really hurt it. While the open is disappointing, it is still great. Just not as great as most thought it would be.

I blame Disney for letting those "Avengers 2 on track to open with around 230M for the weekend" articles be published in the first place. 

• Like 4

The boxing experts were saying they hoped tonight's fight would help the sport grow, but it might have the exact opposite effect. There are millions of people who feel ripped off either by the fact they spent $100 or even by the fact they wasted time watching this dance-off "fight."

It was a letdown of enormous proportions and a great example of the flaw in boxing's PPV strategy. Certain people make a shitload of money from that strategy, but the sport overall has a limited reach and appears to be an even bigger ripoff than it already is when you have such a hugely hyped fight that lands with a massive dud like this one. 

• Like 2

Cap 2 got the best multiplier of Avengers related movies in phase 2 with a 2.7X, IM3 had a 2.35X and Thor 2 had a 2.34X. If Avengers gets 192M OW, then it will end with the following totals:

Cap 2's multiplier: 518.4M

IM3's multiplier: 451.2M

Thor 2's multiplier: 449M

If it gets Avengers legs (3X): 575M

Adjusted for previews:

Cap2 - 2.94

IM3 - 2.48

Thor 2 - 2.53

So 192M with those would be:

510.9M

435.3M

443.5M

The boxing experts were saying they hoped tonight's fight would help the sport grow, but it might have the exact opposite effect. There are millions of people who feel ripped off either by the fact they spent $100 or even by the fact they wasted time watching this dance-off "fight."

It was a letdown of enormous proportions and a great example of the flaw in boxing's PPV strategy. Certain people make a shitload of money from that strategy, but the sport overall has a limited reach and appears to be an even bigger ripoff than it already is when you have such a hugely hyped fight that lands with a massive dud like this one. 

But this has been said for years. You get two fighters that people want to see fight and people will pay to see it. I didn't even bother watching it because I already knew how it would be.

Yeah, it was you Grim right? I remember someone saying it was 'bold.'

Chewy did as well. Right now though, we are just as right as anyone else. May is empty, Avengers could easily ride it out till the 15th without any damage and good legs. Hot Pursuit will most likely make 25M or so next week.

• Like 1

Update, 11:09PM:

The masses are spending their excess income elsewhere tonight, specifically $90-$100 per subscription to watch the Mayweather-Pacquiao fight, which is already on course to net $400M in PPV revenue. Many across the U.S. are watching the boxing match at parties. What this means for Avengers: Age of Ultron is a lower than expected Saturday of $59M per industry estimates, a 30% decline from yesterday’s $84.46M. The first Avengers saw a Saturday dip of 14% back on May 5, 2012. Ultron‘s Sunday, per industry calculations, is looking at $47M, down 20% from Saturday (Avengers’ first Sunday took in $57.1M, down 18% from Saturday). Ultron is now tracking for a three-day opening in the neighborhood of $189M-$191M. While that’s lower than the first chapter’s all-time record domestic bow of $207.4M, it’s still the second highest opening of all-time at the domestic B.O.; just mind-blowing business.

http://deadline.com/2015/05/avengers-age-of-ultron-thursday-box-office-1201419080/

Edited by abra
  • Like 2