antovolk

Annihilation | Paramount | Feb 23 2018 | Alex Garland | Natalie Portman | Reviews Embargoed till day of release

43 minutes ago, antovolk said:

Is it even being offered on an STSL basis here in the UK? 

It is, I presume because of the limited release window. Curzon can be such shits sometimes too, but mostly they'll play ball if you want to do 1, maybe 2 showings at an affiliated venue. 

7 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

It is, I presume because of the limited release window. Curzon can be such shits sometimes too, but mostly they'll play ball if you want to do 1, maybe 2 showings at an affiliated venue. 

I am surprised no venue has jumped onto this yet, then? Prince Charles Cinema's Twitter feed say 'impossible', I've heard zero word from Curzon regarding if they plan to screen it themselves (but I know at least one person there who is hopeful).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, antovolk said:

I am surprised no venue has jumped onto this yet, then? Prince Charles Cinema's Twitter feed say 'impossible', I've heard zero word from Curzon regarding if they plan to screen it themselves (but I know at least one person there who is hopeful).

The showing of the film I went to was only my business partner, some close friends, and I, obviously. We wouldn't have been legally allowed to open the doors to the public, just legally allowed to screen to a private audience that we've listed and had approval of prior. 

We set it up some years ago, mostly in response to the fact that we were tired of waiting months in some cases for the Oscar contenders to come out over here. I'd offer you an invite/some free tickets to a showing, but not sure how that would go down with the rules around here. I would never want to come across as shilling for my own cinema (for obvious reasons). 

Edited by JamesCameronScholar

10 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

The showing of the film I went to was only my business partner, some close friends, and I, obviously. We wouldn't have been legally allowed to open the doors to the public, just legally allowed to screen to a private audience that we've listed and had approval of prior. 

We set it up some years ago, mostly in response to the fact that we were tired of waiting months in some cases for the Oscar contenders to come out over here. I'd offer you an invite/some free tickets to a showing, but not sure how that would go down with the rules around here. I would never want to come across as shilling for my own cinema (for obvious reasons). 

ahh, so not an actual public screening that is, got it. That's really interesting, didn't know there could be arrangements for this sort of private thing, especially before a film's public release. Good on you guys on getting that going.

Edited by antovolk

2 minutes ago, antovolk said:

ahh, so not an actual public screening that is, got it. That's really interesting, didn't know there could be arrangements for this sort of private thing, especially before a film's public release. Good on you guys on getting that going.

I think the usual use is for critics associations, and the like. I'm fortunately in a position where I can now afford this kind of thing/know the right people. 

It really is a sad truth, and I wish it weren't so, but money does talk. The very notion of release dates not being global in this day and age still drives me mad. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JamesCameronScholar said:

I think the usual use is for critics associations, and the like. I'm fortunately in a position where I can now afford this kind of thing/know the right people. 

It really is a sad truth, and I wish it weren't so, but money does talk. The very notion of release dates not being global in this day and age still drives me mad. 

Yeah, unfortunately with awards season films, it's a minority of people who care about the delays (or would otherwise pirate the damn screeners) instead of waiting months, and Oscar/awards noms provide a good marketing boost for the GA. I guess the only reason for releasing in the US the way they are is so they're eligible for the Oscars.

The Netflix situation, especially the one with this film, is a whole other kettle of fish entirely. Here's hoping Curzon do screenings of this.

• Like 2

OMG Just finished this. Fantastic!!  I'm gonna spend the next few hours on the net looking for discussions on the movie. 

Spoiler

was lena at the end a duplicate???????????????

Edited by Alli
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alli said:

OMG Just finished this. Fantastic!!  I'm gonna spend the next few hours on the net looking for discussions on the movie. 

Hide contents

was lena at the end a duplicate???????????????

On 2/27/2018 at 2:38 PM, HerediTele said:

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, AJG said:

Is everyone in this movie supposed to be really bored or is that what ‘good’ acting is in 2018?

yeah, apart from Natalie i thought the other ladies didn't do such a great acting job, but still fantastic movie

• Like 1