antovolk

Annihilation | Paramount | Feb 23 2018 | Alex Garland | Natalie Portman | Reviews Embargoed till day of release

5 minutes ago, 75Live said:

ummm...that's spoilerish so I can't go into reptilian dongs and anatomy here ;) 

It’s the main thread tho.  It’s okay if your spoiler tag it :lol:

But if it involves anything that happens past, say, the first act, then don’t tell me

Edited by That One Guy

1 minute ago, That One Guy said:

It’s the main thread tho.  It’s okay if your spoiler tag it :lol:

But if it involves anything that happens past, say, the first act, then don’t tell me

let's just say that like Spaceballs, they hate when their schwartz get twisted ;) 

• Like 1
  • Astonished 1

A... pretty enthusiastic thumbs up from me. It kind of vibrated a bit later in the game but it's a singular theatrical experience nevertheless.

Hard for me to imagine willful audiences hating it but I've been wrong before. Alex Garland definitely has my MoviePass for the foreseeable future.

Edited by tribefan695
  • Like 5

Just now, That One Guy said:

I have school :(

ughhhh tomorrow’s gonna be sooo long

hopefully school will make the day go faster since you will be busy.  Assuming you are busy at school that is :P 

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Matrix4You said:

will the general audience like this as much as Arrival?  I think I remember the GA particularly liking Ex Machina when I thought it would be divisive.  Does Annihilation have the potential to NOT be divisive?

I, personally,  don't think the GA will like this as much as Arrival.  But never know, but I can see people not "getting it" or not liking some parts

16 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

Is it possible this has strong legs?

I would guess not the best legs due to what I just wrote above about possibly the GA not liking it as much.

but hey, maybe it will grab its own audience and stick around for a while :) 

Edited by 75Live
typo - still was supposed to be stick
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, CaptainJackSparrow said:

Is it possible this has strong legs?

I think it depends on whether a mother!-esque backlash develops or not.

What hurt mother! wasn't just the... intense subject matter, but some folks violently reacting against the message of the film, and not just from the right end of the spectrum.

Now I know this is "Not The mother! thread", so I won't derail the thread any more (or risk angry posts from fans of the movie), but it seems to me that movie got hit from multiple directions. 

To put it another way, as long as Annihilation only pisses off one group, it might be fine. :lol:

• Like 1

I just gave a look at the audience comments on Rotten Tomatoes for this movie. It seems fun:

This movie was absolutely awful. The dialogue was trite, the acting wasn't great, and the plot was nonexistent. Don't waste your money!

Went to see this movie with my daughter this movie is terrible. A waste of 2 hrs and 30 dollars at the theater. Nothing about it was interesting

Dull entertainment. The characters are not developed and the story feels rushed and bland.

LSD would not help this movie??

General Audiences will probably hate this thing

This movie is terrible on so many different levels it's hard to describe. Story is total nonsense. Acting is horrible. Background music makes you want to tear your hair out.

This is fucking trash.

I actually walked out of this, and I NEVER walk out of a theater. It wasn't bad like Hallmark Movie bad: the acting was fine, the visuals were fine. However, there were so many plot problems

• Haha 1