antovolk

Annihilation | Paramount | Feb 23 2018 | Alex Garland | Natalie Portman | Reviews Embargoed till day of release

2 hours ago, Taylor said:

It's completely different from the book, though. Like... beyond the setting of the shimmer, there's zero similarities. 

Seem to answer well my question about order of reading the book first or the movie first, probably does not matter much then.

• Like 1

Yeah, there have been several it's-very-different-from-the-book assessments in the last couple pages. This has me even more intrigued, as it sounds like I will get something interesting and different from the movie and the book(s). I've decided I'll check out the movie, and then read the books (needing a good new series to get into).

Peace,

Mike

• Like 1

8 hours ago, That One Guy said:

If this is true then I might as well preemptively crown this my favorite film of the year

(not really, might be hard to beat Paddington 2 but we'll see)

I don't want to hear that.... BR2049 was a pretentious snore of a film. I was so bored and if I'd not been with my family would probably have actually walked out. It is so boring.

Do Paramount still have the home video release rights for international markets? Or will this be another "sorry you can only watch this on Netflix forever" type deals?

I heard that Paramount still have home media release rights to Cloverfield Paradox but this is a different scenario. 

I'm betting that i'll love this film and i'll be double pissed (on top of not being able to see it in theaters) if I can't own physical media of it without importing. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Lavochkin said:

Do Paramount still have the home video release rights for international markets? Or will this be another "sorry you can only watch this on Netflix forever" type deals?

I heard that Paramount still have home media release rights to Cloverfield Paradox but this is a different scenario. 

I'm betting that i'll love this film and i'll be double pissed (on top of not being able to see it in theaters) if I can't own physical media of it without importing. 

It will be Netflix only, like the rest of Netflix movies.

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, marveldcfox said:

Isn't Mute also releasing on February 23 on Netflix? 

Haven't heard a peep about it since the trailer. Is it any good?

I completely forgot about Mute, yes it's released on 23rd. As with most Netflix movies, no press screenings(?) so reviews just come out after it's made available.

And Annihilation is on Netflix on 12 March, not 23 Feb.

4 minutes ago, stephanos13 said:

Paramount screw up BIG time!

Not really. It makes them money, if Netflix gave them more money than they'd receive from international gross then they made the right choice, simple as that really.

Good reviews don't make a high grossing movie you know. 

14 hours ago, aabattery said:

That wasn't my point. They keep going on about seeing it on the biggest/loudest screen possible when that isn't an option for anyone who isn't an American :lol:

I don't really have an issue with people being passionate about it. Haven't really seen many reviews demanding that people love it.

Eh, large screens aren't what they're cracked up to be, at least around here. Not a fan of having to crane my neck to see everything. There's a reason why people tend to avoid the front seats in the movie theater. And I'm not sure I'd prefer that the visceral qualities so thoroughly overshadow the script and writing in this movie's case. Might have been part of the reason why the "kick your face in" comment annoyed me so much.

Edited by tribefan695